Question about stations

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Is it possible to do either of the following:
1) Change a station's graphic while game is in progress.
2) Destroy (remove from screen entirely) a station.

The idea behind those is to substitute a debris picture for a (unique) station when it is destroyed (as a mission goal). Then use sysCreateStation to scatter some caches and/or bigger debris pieces around that the player ship searchs individually for loot.

This is for an extension, not a suggestion for a new version feature.
"War is hell."
-William Tecumseh Sherman
http://dvlenk6.blackraven3d.com/transgals.html
Fossaman
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Ooh! I have partial answers for those questions! :P

1) It is possible to animate stations (like the nav-beacon is). I don't know about other stuff.

2) I don't know about whether you could actually remove an actual station, but you could use a variation on the CSC encounters, with the station being a ship that can't move (or doesn't move...whichever), and has a 0% wreckchance. It would still show up on the map, be dockable, etc.
X-ray laser! Pew, pew pew!
> = = = = ۞
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

#2 could probably work, I think. I'll have to try that.
Thanks, Fossaman.
"War is hell."
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Both will be possible in the next version.

In the current version, you can change a station's graphic. Look at the implementation of the Battle Arena (e.g., how the doors of the arena are opened and closed).

In the next version, there will also be a way to destroy any object. Then you could destroy a station and create a different station in the same place.
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Cool!
Is there anything you don't think of? :D
"War is hell."
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

george moromisato wrote:In the next version, there will also be a way to destroy any object.
Including planets and asteroids?
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Yugimotomanager wrote:Including planets and asteroids?
Just to be clear, what I mean is that there will be a function call that will remove any object from the system. And that includes planets and asteroids.

But it will not be possible for the player to destroy planets and asteroids in the next version.

Not unless we MAKE it possible, anyway. :P Anybody remember that thread on the UTF where gannon modded a destructible sun? :lol:
Fossaman
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Doh. That was me. Firefox doesn't like me to stay logged in here, for some reason.
X-ray laser! Pew, pew pew!
> = = = = ۞
Karl
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

george moromisato wrote:In the next version, there will also be a way to destroy any object.
Nice! Does that mean that there will also be a loot menu option to skuttle wrecks? All those wrecked ships really clutter the screen and radar, and shooting them to pieces is a chore (not to mention dangerous if the shipwreck is next to a friendly station).
BlackPheonix
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

there will be some way to destroy wrecks without a wmd weapon...george said somewhere around here that there will be away but that he hadn't decided what it'll be yet....
"The world of reality has it's limits, the world of imagination is boundless..."
evilbob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Karl wrote:
Nice! Does that mean that there will also be a loot menu option to skuttle wrecks? All those wrecked ships really clutter the screen and radar, and shooting them to pieces is a chore (not to mention dangerous if the shipwreck is next to a friendly station).
I'm working on a rapid fire anti wreck weapon.
its too strong though :cry:
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Just to be clear, in my previous post I really meant that there would be a way for mods to programmatically destroy any object. I haven't yet implemented a way for players to destroy or clear-out wrecks.

But I do want to do that, probably before 1.0.
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

george moromisato wrote:Just to be clear, in my previous post I really meant that there would be a way for mods to programmatically destroy any object. I haven't yet implemented a way for players to destroy or clear-out wrecks.

But I do want to do that, probably before 1.0.
We have Salvagers that loot wrecks, but they leave the wreck and move on. Salvagers are pretty much neutral in that they don't go hunting down the enemy to kill and loot them and the enemy don't deliberately target them. So, what about creating another type of Salvager that has a tractor beam and will tow wrecks to a particular destination, somewhere in the outer reaches of the system away from populated areas? This would be their primary function and overall, would help the player by not having to spend so much time clearing wrecks themselves.
Could also set them up with a neutral outpost to tow the wrecks to. Kinda like having a space junk yard. And, the current Salvagers could also use that post as their "home". Since we really don't know much about the background of Salvagers, this could help to expand on them.