Classless Items?

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
marr
Miner
Miner

Is there any kind of generic item class in Transcendence that doesn't have any hard-coded stats, effects or abilities, but just sits there and waits for a particular event or condition such as a keypress, timer, or change in ship stats, then runs some script code?

If not, can we have one? Please! *sits'n'begs*
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I don't really have any idea what you there....
Burzmali
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

As far as I can tell, all of the current events are attached to the player, a ship, or a station.
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Items can incorporate scripts too. Examine the Longzhu Sphere xml for an example. I think all the items that have scripting activate the scripts when 'used'.
"War is hell."
-William Tecumseh Sherman
http://dvlenk6.blackraven3d.com/transgals.html
Burzmali
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Those scripts aren't really events, they are more like method calls. An event is something that is triggered independently of the flow of the program.
marr
Miner
Miner

Quite so. I suspect that, given some fairly standard events to hang scripts on, the modding crowd could build hundreds of cool new items. Look what's been done already just by messing about with the standard item classes.

Actually, thinking more on this, all we really really need is some kind of timer system. You can use a timer to approximate any other trigger by just wrapping the whole thing up in an (iif [condition] [script])
Burzmali
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I believe there already is an OnTimer Event. Take a look at the scripts for the military missions.