Stargate Versatility

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
Fossaman
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

So, I have a few questions about the stargate system.

1: Are the stargate stations the only ones that can function as stargates? Is it the stargate="x" tag that declares the station to be gateable?

2: Is there any way to create a 'sputtering' stargate? One that doesn't send you to the same destination consistently?

3: Can you set the destination of a stargate to be another gate in-system?

4: Can you set the destination of a stargate to be something other than a stargate?

5: Would it be possible to dock at a station and have one of the commands there activate a jump to another system? I assume the code for this would be similar to the jumpdrive, with the undocking code for missions added in there somewhere.

Obviously, Fossaman has a few ideas. First off, I'd like to see a 'guarded' stargate, essentially a station that you dock at that sends you through if you're qualified. Or possibly a station you have to blow up to gate through.

Secondly, using 'transpace shunts' or something like that, stargates in system, or just a gate that dumps you to something other than a gate in the same system.

The sputtering stargate thing should be pretty obvious. I'd like to see a whole sidebranch of 'alien' systems that the commonwealth is limiting access to, really something like the class-specific quests in nethack. Anyway, somewhere to get nice shiny weapons that you know will always be there. If you can survive getting them...
X-ray laser! Pew, pew pew!
> = = = = ۞
thexerox
Anarchist
Anarchist

i dont know the ansewrs to your questions, but there was one network mod that might??? help you on the holt thoms mod site.

and about all that stuff, i agree completely it would be great to use a stargate and pop out somewhere completely random. :D
-X
Burzmali
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

1. I would assume that any station can pick up the Stargate Attribute as long as George wasn't really sneaking about hard coding things. Stargate function is controlled in the <StarSystemTopology> section, based on names assigned in the <StarSystemDescription>'s, per the <Tables> section of the <StarSystemDescriptions> (Elysium and Heretic excluded)

2. The tag that determines behaviour of a given Stargate looks like this

<StarGate Name="Outbound" DestID="C3A" DestGate="Inbound"/>

And seems to be fixed at the start of the game. So, your answer is No, unless George tucked in getters and setters that can affect the <StarSystemTopology> object and has keep quite about it do far. ;)

3. Nothing in the XML indicates that you can't. Go for it.

4. As long as whatever it is has a Stargate Attribute set, it should be a valid target for the <StarGate> tag.

5. Should be possible. The code for the Jump Drive is just
(objGateTo gSource "Elysium" "Start" &efStargateOut;)
(objGateTo 'Object to Gate' 'Target System' 'Target Within System' 'Effect')