1.08f Modders: getting inexplicable "Duplicate UNID" errors?

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
WillyTheSquid
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

As as few of you know, 1.08f borked my heavily modded Transcendence copy quite thoroughly. I got sort of burnt out on constantly updating the game and mods constantly, but I'm giving it another shot.

Have you experienced this? You installed 1.08f/a and mods you had been using for ages suddenly stopped the game from running? "Duplicate UNID"? When there is definitely only ONE of that UNID? I think I found the solution:

When I installed BrunnenG's new version of '800+ new weapons', it came up with a "duplicate UNID" 0xD001b556
When I removed that entity from the XML, it gave the same error for 0xD001b565.

However, I checked my T folder using a text crawler and there IS no other entity with that UNID. However, there were two weapons in this mod that have the same entity NAME (although the UNIDs are different).

DISCOVERY! If you have two entities with the same name but a different UNID, Transcendence will not run and say "duplicate UNID".

FIX: Rename the entity to something different. It works now.

“Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. (Modders) believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.” -Scott Adams

Resident mod-cobbler-together, freakspawn-fixer-upper & musical eclectro-ecumenologist.
If you love something, tweak it and twist it. Keep bending it until it breaks. Rip it apart, remix it, rebuild it. Kill your darlings and stitch them together again.

JOIN US ON IRC. IT KICKS ASS. JOIN THE HIVE MIND.
Place cursor on link. Click link. Never look back.