what do I need to know to mod Transcendence

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
NithrilDark
Banned
Banned

As some of you may know I am to be working on several mods, but alas I have no prior programming experience! So the questions that I present to you today are very basic, what do I need to know, what program(s) do I need, and finally what programming language does George use for Transcendence. I thank all of you who post for your support and/or help! :twisted:
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Here's how I learned:
http://wiki.neurohack.com/transcendence ... to_modding
sone tutorials:
http://wiki.neurohack.com/transcendence ... /tutorials
Also:
1. You need to be VERY persistent.
2. Don't give up. It's okay to put it off for a while, but never, /ever/ give up.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
KaoS
Miner
Miner

My two cents:
All you really need is an eye for program flow. If you have the patience to keep looking until you can figure out what some code is doing you can figure it out for yourself. My eyes glaze over when it's anything math intensive, but George puts in a lot of comments and has things organized in a way that makes sense once you become aware of the fact that it's actually organized. Every time I find time to look at the code, I'm even more impressed because it's even more organized than before even though he keeps adding more and more to it.

About the language he uses, well that's not especially important. He handles that part. We interface with the markup language portion, ie HTML, but with different tags, and some kind of scripting. Like I said before, it's not too hard to just read through it and figure it out.
Amilir
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

XML, not HTML. Also, we have a turing complete language to work with in the form of a modified LISP. If you don't know how to program, you'll either have to learn, or stick to what you can do with XML. :( On the positive side, the XML is REALLY easy to work with.
KaoS
Miner
Miner

Of course it's xml. I was using html as an example since most folks don't know what xml is...