some Ranx stuff

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
Shivan Hunter
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I'm planning on using Ranx graphics for some ships in my own (too big for its own good) project, so I made some others since they only have 2 ships and 2 stations at the moment. I made a ship and a turret.

Ranx missile frigate [download]

Ranx turret [download]

[new] Ranx heavy gunship/bomber [download]

Feel free to use these for whatever you want! :D
Last edited by Shivan Hunter on Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm here to shift paradigms and chew bubblegum... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

<+The_Shrike> If you install 2 solar panels, you will have 2 solar panels installed.
<DarthGeek|2> :o
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Thankyou for your hard work!
I can not get graphics to ever play nice for me so I am one person that appreciates it when people create something :)

Personally I do not see myself using these for at least a few months because I am slowly packing to head to the lower states and my desktop hard drive is dying : so it is packed away : but when I settle I will look at trying to fit them into a game : might never be as creativity put in game as , say , RPC or PM could do it :) but I'll try after i get the new drive in the desktop :):)
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Nice job. The Ranx are pretty wierd for only having two ships (I know Wolfy's been working on that with TSB and the Ranx Extension). Did you use the stock models textures, or are you using replications?
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Shivan Hunter
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I didn't really use textures; just solid-color materials in Blender and some light noise effects in GIMP. If I were doing a huge model with large flat surfaces I'd probably spend some time on UVing and texturing, but as it is the model isn't big enough to really need textures.

SolarDragon mentioned in IRC adding a bit of blue to the materials, and I may recolor the frigate a bit in GIMP (anyone else is welcome to do that too :P), but I'm not sure that it warrants a separate release.

<+The_Shrike> If you install 2 solar panels, you will have 2 solar panels installed.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

As usual, great job :D
Tell us your graphics secrets!
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Shivan Hunter
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

New ship! I made three concepts this weekend, so I won't be making any more Ranx stuff unless I get inspiration... and 5 ships is great to work with anyway.

Ranx heavy gunship/bomber [download]

(Imgur is down, I'll rehost this one on Imgur in case postimage doesn't play well with hotlinking, but it seems ok.)

digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

the bomber is awesome !
thank you vm for your hard work !
Shivan Hunter
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Someone in IRC wanted XML to put these ingame, so I made a short file that adds them. They will be found guarding Ranx stations and in random encounters.

[Download]

Ranx Bomber: Armed with 3d12 XM900 Lucifer missiles, about the same armor as the Ranx gunship.

Ranx Frigate: Armed with a Moskva 33 Repeater and 3d16 KM550 Broadsword missiles.

Ranx Turret: Armed with 6d12 KM550 Broadsword missiles.

Ranx Fortresses are now generated with 8 turrets surrounding them in an X pattern.

Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The bomber is rounded to a degree other Ranx ships are not.
Literally is the new Figuratively
Cygnus.X1
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I disagree :D I think the Bomber looks like they smoothly welded the chassis from 3 of the smaller fighters together.

Excellent graphics, by the way :mrgreen:
Shivan Hunter
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Atarlost wrote:The bomber is rounded to a degree other Ranx ships are not.
I thought that a bit too and it's a valid concern, but the bomber is styled after the gunships and probably some of the chassis is interchangeable. Of the two ships and two stations (a quite small sample size), one (the gunship) sets a precedent for rounded Ranx designs in smaller ships- which is why I went with it for the bomber and turret. The bomber isn't really supposed to be cruiser-sized, and I may scale it down to 64x64 for my own project rather than 96x96.

Thanks for your input! Criticism is always valuable.

Cygnus: I'm glad you like them :)

LordSutekh
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Is it just the gif, or is there a slight "bump" in the rotation?
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The gunship has a slightly convex top, but it's not round otherwise.

The ones docked at the outpost on the left have the best angle to see how they're really shaped.
Shivan Hunter
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

LordSutekh: probably just the gif. I copied every frame into the same area from the spritesheet after making the spritesheet, so some of the images may be off.

Atarlost: That image is much clearer, but I was going solely on the ingame graphics, which appear to be curved not just because they're too small to make out detail but because of the lighting in the image. The bomber may not be typically Ranx, but since the gunship also looks curved, the bomber doesn't look too weird next to the other ships.

Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The top looks more curved in game, but I can see the angled front faces in 90-270 degree facings and the octagonality is clear at 45, and 315.

Your turret does appear to have a frustrum below the dome cap, which makes it a better match, and round structures do appear in Ranx stations, but only simple domes or globes.

I cannot endorse the bomber for ORE. I'm not the final word, but I think Wolfy will agree.