Is it possible to get/set data related to capacitors/temp?

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Is there a way to extract the current power level of the capacitor (or heat from temperature gauge) from a weapon, and to set it to zero regardless how much accumulated power it had?

I want to make a weapon, inspired by the Wave Cannon from R-Type (i.e., hold fire button for a few seconds then release for stronger shot), that drains all accumulated power from the capacitor and fires a shot based on the accumulated power.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
EditorRUS
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Probably not. In Weapon Extended 5 they solved the problem by making virtual station "capacitor". So when you hold fire weapon button - it uses this virtual station to store the charge. As you released this button (it was made very easy) the capacitor released all its held charge.

Here's what to use: <OnFireWeapon> event (used to start charging, obviously), sysAddObjTimerEvent (used to make timed activation of release, put it in the end of <OnFireWeapon>) and sysCancelTimerEvent (used to delete <Discharge> event so you wouldn't get shitload of discharges, put it in the start of <OnFireWeapon>).

BTW, when I tried making some mods myself, I needed to do this too.
pixelfck
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I'm not aware of any build-in method to do this. The obvious candidate function for this would be:

Code: Select all

(objSetItemProperty obj item property value [count]) -> item

property

'charges charges
'damaged [True|Nil]
'disrupted [True|Nil|ticks]
'enabled [True|Nil|'silentDisabled|'silentEnabled]
'fireArc Nil|(min max)|'omnidirectional
'hp hitPoints
'incCharges charges
'linkedFireOptions list-of-options
'pos (angle radius [z])
'secondary [True|Nil]

(objGetItemProperty obj item property) -> value

property

'enabled
'fireArc
'installDevicePrice
'linkedFireOptions
'pos
'removeDevicePrice
'secondary

All properties for itmGetProperty are also valid.
But as you can see, there is nothing about capacitor or heat level in there.

You could probably imitate the effect by either using the <OnUpdate> event or by setting a timed event yourself, as EditorRUS suggested.

~Brigand
Download the Black Market Expansion from Xelerus.de today!
My other mods at xelerus.de
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I already have a clumsy, imprecise way of doing this via charges and OnUpdate. If I can access and set heat/power directly, it would be better because the UI looks better and I do not need to powerup the weapon (add a charge) once per second.

I should mention I do not need to make the player hold the fire button as done in arcade/console games. If the player is idling, it is understood he is holding the fire button down. I mention holding the fire button down because that is how it worked in R-Type and many other similar games, but the main point is charging for a brief time for a stronger shot.
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!

EditorRUS
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I should mention I do not need to make the player hold the fire button as done in arcade/console games. If the player is idling, it is understood he is holding the fire button down. I mention holding the fire button down because that is how it worked in R-Type and many other similar games, but the main point is charging for a brief time for a stronger shot.
<OnInstalled> ; Or whatever event you need.
(sysObjAddTimerEvent 1 "ChargingUp")
</OnInstalled>

<ChargingUp>
(sysObjAddTimerEvent 1 "ChargingUp")
</ChargingUp>
TVR
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Good news, PM, it is all possible!

For the R-Type hold-to-charge cannon:

Code: Select all

<ItemType UNID="&itMiningLaserCannon;"
			name=				"dual mining laser cannon"
			level=				"3"
			value=				"10000"
			mass=				"5000"
			frequency=			"rare"
			modifiers=			"MajorItem; EnergyWeapon"

description=		"Twin mining lasers with linked fire controls, will overheat if fired for extended durations. Also popular as an improvised weapon."
			>
		<Image imageID="&rsItems1;" imageX="96" imageY="0" imageWidth="96" imageHeight="96"/>

<Weapon

configuration=			"dual"
				powerUse=				"80"

type=					"beam"
				damage=					"laser:1d4; mining3"
				fireRate=				"1"
				lifetime=				"20"

counter=			"temperature"
				counterActivate=	"101"
				counterUpdate=		"-100"
				counterUpdateRate=	"1"

beamType=				"laser"
				primaryColor=			"0x5f, 0xf1, 0x2a"
				secondaryColor=			"0x00, 0xff, 0x00"
				sound=					"&snLaserCannon;"
				>
		</Weapon>
	</ItemType>
Just disrupt firing of the above when the counter reaches 100 by enabling and disabling the 'selectedWeapon.

For a no-need-to-hold-down-key autocharge, install a virtual capacitor weapon and remove it and reinstall it everytime the weapon is fired. Since capacitors charge from 0 when newly installed, this functions as a "reset-to-zero"

Notice that the gauge is for display only, external timers and <OnFireWeapon> code is needed to create the virtual, but synchronized counter for TLISP.

Apologies about the terseness, short on time.
Fiction is reality, simplified for mass consumption.
PGP: 0x940707ED, 5DB8 4CB4 1EF5 E987 18A0 CD99 3554 3C13 9407 07ED
Bitcoin: 1LLDr7pnZDjXVT5mMDrkqRKkAPByPCQiXQ
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

'selectedWeapon only works for primary weapon, not linked fire weapons.

One virtual capacitor device would not work with multiple, linked-fire instances of the weapon. Juggling multiple devices, one per weapon, could get too messy to be worth it.

I thought of various tricks, some involving timers, charges, and/or overlays; but I run into problems when time stop, jumping, or multiple linked-fire weapons get involved.

In the end, I decided to forgo the UI to ensure the weapons work. I abandoned visual charges on the Dragonslayer from one of my mods because it got error messages on some dockscreens. Instead, I used the code I wrote for the Charge laser in Items 912. Player has no UI hints of weapon charges, but at least I found no major bugs.

What I really want is the ability to extract and set data from the counter, but that seems impossible.

AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

PM wrote:What I really want is the ability to extract and set data from the counter, but that seems impossible.
 That sounds like something that ought to be made as a feature request over on the Ministry.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)