Is it possible to set dockscreen background...

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

...to a given object, such as the player's target? When accessing dockscreen via (scrShowScreen ...) call, not docking?
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

PM wrote:...to a given object, such as the player's target? When accessing dockscreen via (scrShowScreen ...) call, not docking?
I don't think it's currently possible (though it should be).

As a work-around, you might be able to use a <Display> element on a dock screen and set an <Image> from the player's target using (objGetImageDesc)

I haven't tried it, so I don't know what other road-blocks you might find.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Thank you for suggestion. I do not know if I will make use of it.

I am trying to update Playership Drones features that formerly required ship docking, such as item transfer among other things, to not require docking. It would be nice if I could use simulate docking an object without actually docking, and show an image of the object I would dock. I have examined the Morningstar intro and Jettison hack from the Eternity Port adventure for ideas.

The reason is trying to dock some ships can be difficult, and ships too close to stations can interfere with docking like beacons used to. No docking may also mean less stuff for modders to do to make ships PSD-compatible.

Frustrated by my initial attempts, I have deferred this problem for later, after I work on other things that need updating. By then, I may think of a better way to do what I want.
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!

PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

george moromisato wrote:As a work-around, you might be able to use a <Display> element on a dock screen and set an <Image> from the player's target using (objGetImageDesc)
This worked okay, except it shows the object's current image. Is it possible to extract an object's or type's large image? I experimented with (objGetProperty theObj 'playerLargeImage) or other similar guess at the property name that might point to a playership's large image. So far, I had no luck.