Diplomatic realations between Sovereigns

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
Blitz
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I need to know what determines the attitude of one sovereign to another (i.e. whether it is hostile, neutral, or friendly). I've looked through the xmls but I can't find anything directly addressing this. The closest thing that seems to determine this is alignment but I'm not sure how that works. I might have missed something ofcourse. If it is indeed the the alignment, then can somebody please explain how this works to me.
The mod I'm making will feature a faction which will have different relations with different sovereigns. I need to understand how this works. I know this alignment thing is a carryover from RPGs like Nethack but wouldn't it be easier to just the attitude of one faction towards another. Anything left undefined would make them neutral.
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

What I do know about the sov-tude's between the BM and CW, is that you can't mingle the two. Meaning, if you set up a mod that uses a CW sov and then implement some BM elements such as delivery/hit missions, you may end up getting a promotion from the BM, but recieve a CW rank instead. Looks kinda funny having the Big Boss promoting you to Lieutenant!