Latest batch of Modding questions

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
Burzmali
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I guess this is directed to George, or anyone else who has dealt with these problems. All of these issues arose while I was modding the radiator finned laser cannon for OddBob in the Hard Science Conversion thread.

1. Is there a way to phrase an (objEnumItems ...)'s criteria to pick up virtual items? I was trying to make the weapon component of that device a virtual item, and I could create and install it as a virtual, but I couldn't "find" it later to unistall/remove it.

2. Is there a way to reference the <Events> section of an <ItemType> definition from an <Invoke>? In the example in the other thread, I was forced to include the Event logic in the ShipClass.
Burzmali
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Bump, for great justice.
evilbob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

You know what you doing?
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I think he knows what he's doing. :wink:
"War is hell."
-William Tecumseh Sherman
http://dvlenk6.blackraven3d.com/transgals.html
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Burzmali wrote: 1. Is there a way to phrase an (objEnumItems ...)'s criteria to pick up virtual items?
Unfortunately, there is not. But I will add a new flag that includes virtual items for all places that take an item criteria filter (including objEnumItems).

Burzmali wrote: 2. Is there a way to reference the <Events> section of an <ItemType> definition from an <Invoke>? In the example in the other thread, I was forced to include the Event logic in the ShipClass.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Reference how? Do you want to invoke a piece of code in <Events>?
Burzmali
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

On 2, here is an example.

Code: Select all

<ItemType UNID="&itMyItem;"
>
  <Invoke>
  (sysAddObjTimerEvent 3600 !obj! "OnMyTimer")
  </Invoke>

<Events>
    <OnMyTimer>
    </OnMyTimer>
  </Events>
</ItemType>
The question I have is, is there a value for !obj! that will cause <OnMyTimer> to trigger?
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

I get it now.

I will need to add a new function, because you will need both the object and the item as parameters.

Something like,

Code: Select all

(sysAddObjItemTimerEvent 3600 gSource gItem "OnMyTimer")
I think both gSource (the object) and gItem are necessary. I'll add this to the next version.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

BTW, I'm also thinking of adding more built-in events for installed items:

<OnInstall> Gets called when the item is installed (and perhaps the script can return a code that prevents the installation)

<OnUninstall> Gets called when the item is uninstalled (and, again, the script can prevent uninstallation)

<OnUpdate> Gets called every update (for performance I will probably restrict this so that it only gets called every 10 ticks).

<OnFire> Gets called for weapons when the weapon fires.

Would that help your mod? In other words, would those events be enough to do your mod without requiring a virtual item?
Burzmali
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Well, the trick is making a weapon that enables and disables on an invoke and changes from internal to external. Mind you that it is OddBob's project that I created the mod for.
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

OnInstall and OnUninstall would be great for "living" items so that they can't be easily uninstalled

OnFire would be great for a weapon that damages your own shields

one request though can there be a OnActivate and OnDisable so we can have effects happen on those events
Crying is not a proper retort!