About NPCService

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.

Should ( at least friendly ) NPC ships require fuel in Game ?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:05 pm

Yes?
75%
No?
25%

Total votes: 4
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

We are all familiar with the 'repairArmor
BUT : can NPC ships also refuel ships this way & is there an Order for this ?
I was , originally ( not atm ) ordering my freighters to ( individually ) create their own fuel if they dropped all their fuel along with the "*U +Res;" deliveries.
((It had to be "Individually" because only a few ships did those deliveries at that time & the extra orders on other ships could cause an un-forseen issue))

However.....I was watching this Jag just tearing up star dust on my screen saver and asked myself if that Quark could get a lesson in the value of things they are taking for granted....

Yes, Yes, Yes ..I know NPC ships "don't run out of fuel " : but they actually 'can'....sometimes a ship would not fly at all for me because I forgot to give it fuel .....and I am kinda leaning on making those pampered pilots as fuel needy as the Player ....
they had a good run, but if the player has to be concerned about resources ..
Just sayin .......

If there isn't a Refuel thingy in the game for NPCs, then I think we might need one for the future, some future Wing or Autons might actually require refueling ....
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

One thing at a time. Before even considering this, we need to get the AI to a standard where something like this would be viable. This would mean implementing ammo restocking for NPC ships, fixing kiting, and making the guard routine less predictable/more responsive to the situation at hand(stations that have been attacked should have more aggressive guards and a wider patrol distance), improving the revenge system(AI ships that can't ever catch up with the player aren't really doing much by following him until he decides to sit on a friendly station with guards capable of killing them), and getting AI ships to coordinate with each other(at minimum, hitting one enemy ship should alert nearby ships of the same faction).
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

JohnBWatson wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 9:44 pm
One thing at a time. Before even considering this, we need to get the AI to a standard where something like this would be viable. This would mean implementing ammo restocking for NPC ships, fixing kiting, and making the guard routine less predictable/more responsive to the situation at hand(stations that have been attacked should have more aggressive guards and a wider patrol distance), improving the revenge system(AI ships that can't ever catch up with the player aren't really doing much by following him until he decides to sit on a friendly station with guards capable of killing them), and getting AI ships to coordinate with each other(at minimum, hitting one enemy ship should alert nearby ships of the same faction).
okz...that is deeper then I was looking for :) LOL
*Currently there only a few friendly ships in the game ( for traffic ) that do not carry fuel, the only one interestingly that will 'hold is the Sapphire when I know it carries fuel (4d6 Helium3 Fuel Rods)

However, Let me see if I can swim a little with the Shark ( I know you're only going to tear me to bits with your superior weapons, but I'll do it anyway )
==========
Restocking Ammunition / recharging weapons or batteries ( if there is a battery system
- such as using the Extension Batteries Included : http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=807 ) aboard an NPC isn't difficult, the <Event(s)> for this has been around for awhile now ( the Ammo restock, perfected by Digdug )
I suspect you can find the most assorted applications for the code in his Mods :
the one I have is weapon specific.. a version of this code can also be found in Corporate Command for a Device ( much more detailed and specific ) Which I will not include here because CC is a Purchasable Extension and I will not reveal anything of it except to tease the Masses with the scent of goodies :) ) .

However, a touch of this same code event is also in PlayerShip Drones ( except it doesn't exactly make Ammunition )

shpGetFuelNeeded
shpRefuelFromItem
& the existing Ammunition codes Are great for <Events>
However, IF you want them All to do it , or,
be specific about Which ships ( friendly / Hostile / Both) is the only matter to address on that subject because many weapons are shared by lower factions.

I can toss this all on a traffic code or &ev ( and I have in my own games ) .....
but that wasn't the question I was asking....
=====================

Guards are a curious thing. staSetSubordinate would seem to be a little Swiss in it's implementation - and by "Swiss" I mean the Cheese, not the nation.

I do believe a good proposal was out of Extended Justice (?) with it's Law Enforcement Patrols..
http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=1563
Of course I have never peeked inside that particular clock, but I hear it ticks pretty well.

And there has always been a lacking usage of the NoFriendlyFire - especially when you get killed by your own Auton or wing ... defenders kill each other or destroy their own station in a dizzy moment of trigger happiness ..

Retaliation is a little skewed to the players advantage ( few ships are nearly as fast as the Player's
so if anything you want Avengers that have the speed or can match the speed of the Player if it came to that event ) : but I do believe the Teratons are getting up on it & recently the Black Market is showing some good progress, but if they all turn Hostile to the Player then the Player can't pay their debts to the faction..... but destruction of a station is a death warrant, so I suppose it's not that bad.

=====================
ok ...let me have it :)

Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I think all ships should need to refuel. This would also make it possible to chase down ships by letting them run out of fuel.
Considerations are in place of course. All ships belonging to a faction can only refuel at their faction's stations, or stations that are neutral to them.
There needs to be an AI improvement that takes account of the amount of fuel left in the NPC and the distance it has to fly to refuel at a station, or gate out if refueling is not possible.
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Ferdinand wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 7:58 am
I think all ships should need to refuel. This would also make it possible to chase down ships by letting them run out of fuel.
Considerations are in place of course. All ships belonging to a faction can only refuel at their faction's stations, or stations that are neutral to them.
There needs to be an AI improvement that takes account of the amount of fuel left in the NPC and the distance it has to fly to refuel at a station, or gate out if refueling is not possible.
I didn't bother to read my post, but I know several friendly ships- as many as 4 ships either don't carry fuel or run out quickly either after they gate in or within the first rings of Eridani.

I DID scrap the idea from my own .xml because of ships sitting in the gate claiming they ran out of fuel.

I really did not think it out as much as I should have, but I wanted input before I actually tried to go deep on the subject.

I think Your proposal is AWESOME, however, making sure ships have fuel on creation is obviously more important to start off with ( and that will require a full re-write of every ship that the fuel code would be applied to OR the code must put fuel on the ships when they are created so there is no gate-sitting)

My idea that I was playing with was tankers that "refuel" ships being active in the systems : so the ships are not totally dependent on the stations ( kill the tanker you can disable patrol encounters or limit ranges of your hostiles...? )

but, yes, that was pretty much the idea : I was thinking of tinkering with the wingman Findsrv
so the ships go to the stations for fuel ( if the stations don't exactly refuel NPC, it wouldn't matter because the order to stock themselves with fuel could be in the code )