dockscreen special highlight keys query

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

In the top part of the image attached there are 5 non-letter action keys for dockscreens.

They correspond to this code:

Code: Select all

<Text id="actionEsc">"[Esc] Esc"</Text>
<Text id="actionLeftArrow">"&lt;[LeftArrow] Left Arrow"</Text>
<Text id="actionRightArrow">"&gt;[RightArrow] Right Arrow"</Text>
<Text id="actionPgUp">"[PageUp] Page Up"</Text>
<Text id="actionPgDn">"[PageDown] Page Down"</Text>
For general information does anyone know of any others? But in particular is there an [Enter] highlight?

If so then text entry screens could have two highlighted actions.
In the second part of the image is the standard Corp Trading post order screen. It has 'C' as the highlighted key for Cancel which doesn't work. Presssing 'C' just adds 'C' to the text entry box.

If there is an 'Enter' highlight then the Order action could have Enter in yellow and the Cancel action could have Esc in yellow as shown. This would fix it, be more consistent as there would be an indicated key for every action and make it easier for new players. I remember this confusing me when I started to play.
attach dockscreen actions.jpg
attach dockscreen actions.jpg (32.83 KiB) Viewed 4722 times
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
NMS
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

You can put whatever text you want in the highlight box, but only certain strings correspond to keys. EDIT: [Enter] is NOT one of them, but can be made a shortcut for an action by giving it default="1". If multiple actions are default, the first enabled one is selected if you press the key.

Fixing the shortcuts for that screen and the CSC Europa weapons vault is on my list, but feel free to do it yourself if you like.
0xABCDEF
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant
Location: Was destroyed by a Phobos-class dreadnought in the Eridani system

If you have any interesting information about dockscreens, please record it on the wiki page (http://wiki.kronosaur.com/modding/xml/dockscreen). I believe that [Return] may be the correct way to represent [Enter] in text.
NMS
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

There is some stuff I could add or fix on that page. But apparently I didn't have a wiki account. Now I do (NMS), but I don't have permission to edit.

Neither one of those key names is currently used, and neither one automatically makes the key work. In my open pull request I use [Enter] because that's the way it's labeled on most keyboards intended for Windows machines.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

NMS wrote: You can put whatever text you want in the highlight box.
Oh, I didn't realise that. I thought it had to relate to a key. Thanks.

This makes it simple to change the Trading Post and Europa text entry screens. I'll leave it to you though, because I'm having enough trouble with code without tackling github yet!

NMS wrote: If multiple actions are default, the first enabled one is selected if you press the key.
Thanks for this, too. This is very good info and handy to know.
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

if you remove esc or enter from the default actions of your dockscreen, you can have an inescapable dockscreen. This is really useful if the player has to do some actions in the dockscreen for it to close and you don't want the player to just press esc and close it :D
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

NMS wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:56 pm
There is some stuff I could add or fix on that page. But apparently I didn't have a wiki account. Now I do (NMS), but I don't have permission to edit.
I activated your account. Feel free to write as much on the wiki as you want; If you're not sure where to put something, ask me or 0xABCDEF/Archcannon.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.