Multiverse open for uploading mods

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

0xABCDEF wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:46 am
There should be a way for people other than George to review submitted mods in case he is too busy to check them.
Absolutely. I'm working on setting that up, but it needs a bit more core on the Multiverse.
0xABCDEF
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant
Location: Was destroyed by a Phobos-class dreadnought in the Eridani system

There should be a built-in way to request and assign UNID spaces for modders. This would save the work of having to check the UNID database every time an extension is submitted.

Multiverse users should also be able to directly download any extensions they have in the Collection.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Ok, let's summarise this so it can be ticketed at some point. We need, in no specific order:

1. Ability to download direct from the multiverse website (so download the TBD, then add it to the game manually to bypass the slow in-game DL)
2. Ability to delete a multiverse mod from an install
3. Per-mod update settings so we can block a mod from updating if we want to
4. Clarification on if "collection" folder should still be used or if Extensions should be repurposed in 1.8 for non-"official" (ie. Core and Expanded Universe) multiverse items as well as loose XML like it's always been used for
5. Moderation systems for multiverse
6. Moderators to use said systems (not me please, I do not have time for it)
7. Comment systems, ranking, etc.
8. Automatic request-and-grant system for UNIDs.
9. Maybe automatic checking of UNIDs before upload (NOTE: This would require a good way to handle co-operative projects like SNAPSS)

Anything else?
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

This is great ! Thank you George for this !

However caution might be necessary, automatic updates, as they are implemented now might break save games runs, if a modder updates their mods in an incompatible way, causing the current save game run to not load anymore.

The simplest solution would be to have an ingame confirmation "this mod is ready to update, click here to update"

The other solution is to have each savegame to secure a copy of the mods running with it. The game will self update like now, but the savegame will run the mods with the right version. (I'm not a real fan of this as it might create even more problems)
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I think long-term we should consider a group that can repair or maintain obsolete mods, making just enough changes to make it playable again. This could be done to keep very old mods playable and compatible with newer extensions, as an alternative to just taking the entry off the catalog completely.

It might be too much to maintain every mod, but if there's a very popular mod, like Playership Drones for example, and PM disappears/stops updating, it would be great to keep it running.

I know you've mentioned importing mods from Xelerus too, in which case this would be immediately vital, since many mods there don't function at all anymore.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

I think long-term we should consider a group that can repair or maintain obsolete mods, making just enough changes to make it playable again.
I'm volunteering for this role.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

One feature I have always found very useful on xelerus is the ability to search mods by "last updated". This lists the mods by the date that they were last uploaded. It lets you check if a favourite mod has been updated without having to check them all individually.

Having this capability on the Multiverse mod page (with the upload date visible) would be awesome.

I haven't had time to check the new mod page on Multiverse. IMO ideally you could check individual mods if you wanted to update them rather than have all of them update automatically. That and the ability to remove them from the list (which has been mentioned by others).

As an example, I usually extract a fresh copy of a new version of Transcendence and then log on. ATM this downloads everything even if I only want VOTG. The ability to deselect Renegade, TBR, HD, Osaka, etc would be good so only the desired extensions are downloaded.
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

relanat wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:43 am
One feature I have always found very useful on xelerus is the ability to search mods by "last updated". This lists the mods by the date that they were last uploaded. It lets you check if a favourite mod has been updated without having to check them all individually.

Having this capability on the Multiverse mod page (with the upload date visible) would be awesome.

I haven't had time to check the new mod page on Multiverse. IMO ideally you could check individual mods if you wanted to update them rather than have all of them update automatically. That and the ability to remove them from the list (which has been mentioned by others).

As an example, I usually extract a fresh copy of a new version of Transcendence and then log on. ATM this downloads everything even if I only want VOTG. The ability to deselect Renegade, TBR, HD, Osaka, etc would be good so only the desired extensions are downloaded.
Independent Mods are currently shown in update order (most recently updated first). I'll eventually add more sorting options (by name, by author, etc.)

As for control over update/download, I totally agree.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Just had a thought about having a separate area or subforum or whatever, either in Mod Announcements or a new section for the unofficial mods on the Multiverse. This would enable people to get more info on the mods without having to plough through all the existing info. Or maybe move all the older topics to a subforum and use Mod Announcements for the Mutiverse mods. I haven't thought it through, just thought it might be a bit cleaner/easier than adding them to the existing section.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

relanat wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:34 pm
Just had a thought about having a separate area or subforum or whatever, either in Mod Announcements or a new section for the unofficial mods on the Multiverse. This would enable people to get more info on the mods without having to plough through all the existing info. Or maybe move all the older topics to a subforum and use Mod Announcements for the Mutiverse mods. I haven't thought it through, just thought it might be a bit cleaner/easier than adding them to the existing section.
This is a very good idea. Since we did cease to support xelerus as a main mod repository , the posts on the forums also need to be Splitted.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Xephyr wrote:I think long-term we should consider a group that can repair or maintain obsolete mods, making just enough changes to make it playable again.
I'm willing to update any topology mods people want done. I've done the Network, Director's Cut and A Greater Adventure already so have a fair idea about getting them going (must finalize them and upload too).
Starting/opening a topic for people to post which mods they would like updated would probably be a good idea as well.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Also having just downloaded Typehack by 0xABDCEF I will point out that, as mentioned above, a direct download from the Multiverse page would be great.

To get the 32kB mod I had to start the game and wait for it to load and then log in and then have it download. Fortunately I had a game folder that had a full Collections folder so didn't have to wait for everything to download, but clicking on the Multiverse page to download rather than add to the Collection would have been a lot quicker and easier.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I haven't uploaded any mods to the Multiverse yet because I'm waiting for the "remove from Collection" option.

So I don't know if mods can be tagged with different categories like xelerus. Examples include 'Playership, Development, Godmod, Weapon'. This makes it possible for only mods with the 'Playership' or whichever category to be displayed on the screen.

I think it would be a good idea to have this ability (if it isn't already available) as one of the earliest features.. Already with just AP's mods the screen is filling up. Being able to split all the mods into smaller amounts would be really helpful IMO.

Also is there a size limit for files? It would be good to be able to have the latest version source code as well as the current stable version source code uploaded for modders or curious people. This isn't possible on xelerus due to file size limits.
AdmiralZo
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I've just tried to upload an adventure to the multiverse with the name: 'The Final Strike' and the UNID: 0xDE11

However, it says 'You do not have rights to create a Transcendence product.'

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Thanks.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I think I can help on this one. Part of the issue I can see right away is that the UNID is only four characters instead of eight, so it’s prepending “0000” to the start of it to pad it out to eight characters. That makes Multiverse think you’re trying to upload a mod in the range reserved for official Kronosaur products. When you’re uploading it, make sure the UNID is the mod’s full UNID and not just your modder prefix, and make sure the UNID for the mod in the mod and the UNID for the mod you’re using on the upload screen match (but I think the upload screen is just the eight characters, no preceding “0x” on it).

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)