Sublime Text for modding

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

A recent upgrade of Notepad++ had an annoying auto-complete popup appearing and I could not find a way to shut it off permanently. It's now in the Recycle Bin.

So I've changed over from Notepad++ to Sublime Text when modding.
Thanks JBW for bringing it to my attention some time ago.

Couple of advantages in the first 5 minutes.

The 'Find' functions are better IMO. Easier to use and easier to understand.
Also scrolling down the page is easier with the image based scroll section (you'll see what I mean) Very handy when jumping back and forth to code further down the page. Plus it doesn't jump back to the top of the screen if you go past the bottom of the page. A feature of most programs I've never understood.

Most importantly, within about 3 minutes I was able to change the 'Find in Files' hotkey from 'Ctrl-Shift-F' to'Ctrl-F' just to make it easier. Normally I struggle to find and use any of the nice customizing features but it was straight-forward and very intuitive in this program.

Might be worth a look.
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I don’t know why I didn’t see this sooner.
Does the program have custom synthax highlighting ? If so, I might be interested :)
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Here's an example. I'm not sure if you can change the colours of the text but there are a heap of customizations avalable in the Preferences section so I would say probably.

It's not ideal. I use the mouse a lot and really miss the mouse toolbar from Notepad++. One touch save/cut/paste/copy/undo is a feature I use a lot. There may be a toolbar available. Dunno.
It will also freeze every now and again. Usually comes back after a few seconds but the grey scroll box (see below) vanishes though the scrolling still works if you put the mouse in the right spot.

The management of the search text in the Find/Replace bar is also a bit tricky. And the highlighting of the opening and closing XML tags is a bit underwhelming but this could possibly be customized. Not sure.

The grey box over the minitext on the RHS of the image next to the thin scroll bar is excellent. If you click and hold on that grey box you can drag it to quickly scroll up and down the file. Very handy. And I very much like the find in files format. I've found it very easy to use.

I want to try jEdit as well but have to find some way of getting Java Runtime1.8.0 onto an offline computer. A couple of people on the forum have recommended it over the years.
Attachments
sublime.JPG
sublime.JPG (55.28 KiB) Viewed 5716 times
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!