various questions and stuff

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

1.8b1
Zoanthrope Raider make that Urak Sentinel has the attribute 'auton'. I assume it's to do with when they change sides but not sure. Should it be there?

Molotok Bounty Hunter is appearing in lists which filter for 'hasDockingPorts. I can't see where these are added. Is this a bug? Only started happening in 1.8b1. 'dockingPortCount returns 4.

The level 6 Centurion playership which has been added in 1.8b1 for ship broker screens is level 6 but I can't see where this is set. Is it auto-calculated by the game if no level is set in code?

With github and pull requests, etc, how much time is needed online? Can everything be downloaded, the pull request(s) written offline and then reuploaded when you log on later? I'm assuming there isn't a lot of code needed once an initial download has happened. I'm not really sure what I'm talking about here so be generous in interpretation! I'm also assuming that after the initial learning phase it takes about as long to write a simple pull request as it does to write a Ministry ticket. Is this right?

The Tundra and Heliotrope gunship both have two weapons but neither of these weapons is set as 'secondary'. Is there a reason for this or should one of them be set as 'secondary'?
Last edited by relanat on Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
NMS
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

relanat wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:26 am
The level 6 Centurion playership which has been added in 1.8b1 for ship broker screens is level 6 but I can't see where this is set. Is it auto-calculated by the game if no level is set in code?
If not specified, it uses the highest level installed equipment.

relanat wrote:
With github and pull requests, etc, how much time is needed online? Can everything be downloaded, the pull request(s) written offline and then reuploaded when you log on later? I'm assuming there isn't a lot of code needed once an initial download has happened. I'm not really sure what I'm talking about here so be generous in interpretation! I'm also assuming that after the initial learning phase it takes about as long to write a simple pull request as it does to write a Ministry ticket. Is this right?
Yes, you only need to be online to fetch and push. Otherwise you can work with your offline copy ("local repository"). If you're using GitHub Desktop, you unselect any changed files you don't want to update, type in a title and optional description, and click Commit, then Push. Then use the web interface to create a pull request if there isn't already one for the current branch (there's a menu option to go to the web page). It's not too much trouble when you're used to it, but you do have to keep your fork up to date with changes to George's master version, which is not always convenient. I should probably post something about that in the Git intro thread.
relanat wrote:
The Tundra and Heliotrope gunship both have two weapons but neither of these weapons is set as 'secondary'. Is there a reason for this or should one of them be set as 'secondary'?
That would enable them to fire both primary weapons at once, which generally gunships can't do. In theory, they pick the best weapon for the situation. In practice, this doesn't work well for the Tundra because the micronuke is more powerful, but sometimes can't be fired. That's an AI issue that I may work on while I'm trying to fix the accuracy issues.
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

A Dwarg IS ALIVE, like the Ferians, but not very bright. Primal...Base ....

I checked the Source for 1.8b1 and I see the Attributes are as i would have expected -

attributes= "dwarg, genericClass, zoanthrope"

Can you Please return to your files and locate exactly where you found the Raider being listed or Attributed as an Auton ?
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Thanks, NMS.

And I've changed the OP to a different ship type. D'oh. It is the Urak Sentinel which has the auton attribute, not the Dwarg Raider.

In the GAME LIFECYCLE section of digdug's events docs it says several events are "called for all design types".
eg <OnGlobalTopologyCreated> is called for all design types.
How does a design type differ from any other type?
Derakon
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I do dimly recall it being mentioned that the Urak use sentinels in one of the less visible bits of fluff text.
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Yes.
The Urak Sentinel Has always been an Auton.

In earlier versions of the gme it would have been described as :

Code: Select all

score=				"145"
			techOrder=			"mech"

Your only real encounter with the Urak Faction itself is at the Fortress and it's Destroyers. I have always doubted there was an actual Urak presence at the outposts and mines when they have such faith in technology that they would allow it guard their mines.

So, in short, I always figured the Urak to be small numbered, depending on technology to support their faction's needs.

NMS
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

relanat wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:50 am
In the GAME LIFECYCLE section of digdug's events docs it says several events are "called for all design types".
eg <OnGlobalTopologyCreated> is called for all design types.
How does a design type differ from any other type?
I think "type" and "design type" mean the same thing in this context.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Thanks. Seen later in the changelog while looking for something else:
Starting with 0.99, design types such as ShipClass, ItemType, and StationType have been unified. In general, anything with an UNID is considered a "design type" and some functions will work with any design type.
Not sure where to put this:
Function list: 1.8b1
objChangeEquipmentStatus is missing 'TradingComputer as an equipment option.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

VOTG uses the word "disonant" a couple of times but I'm not sure if it should have a double 's' in there. A quick web search didn't really give a definitive answer. Anyone know which spelling is appropriate? There is also the chance it is a cultural difference.

Doloroth screen description reads:
Several dozen Doloroth mechanicals float in orderly rows. Encrypted radio traffic floods the room, but none invite into their conversation.
and one of the Korolov screen descriptions reads:
The constant drone of sirens is punctuated frequently by concussive blow of explosions.
They don't look quite right to me.
Maybe "invite you into" and "by the concussive"? Any opinions?

More function list stuff.
Found in the changelog and also the wiki API Version page.
1.2a1 API 13
(typFind): Added isEnemyOf:{unid} to typFind (for station types)

It works but the result doesn't seem useful.

0x0802004A is stCentauriCamp,
0xD78910c1 is scD789TaipanGodShip, and
1581057 is stSistersOfDomina.

Returns things like overlay types, system types, devices, items, fuel, what looks like missions, space environments, as well as ships and stations. A heap of Nils in there as well when converted to names (didn't check what they were)

Counting (typFind '*) gives a list of 2034 entries so some filtering is happening.
Attachments
isEnemyOf use.JPG
isEnemyOf use.JPG (100.57 KiB) Viewed 15878 times
NMS
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Testing shows the proper usage is "t +isEnemyOf:[sovereignUNID];".
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

relanat wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 1:35 am
VOTG uses the word "disonant" a couple of times but I'm not sure if it should have a double 's' in there. A quick web search didn't really give a definitive answer. Anyone know which spelling is appropriate? There is also the chance it is a cultural difference.
dis·so·nant
ˈdisənənt'

"unsuitable or unusual in combination; clashing."

So, You nailed it.

I too find myself so involved in the imagery of what I am talking about that my typing the words for what I want to describe doesn't exactly conform to the language I failed so hard at in school :)
( seriously, I was terrible at English Class )

As for the rest of your text spotting - yes, you nailed it there too - they could be edited a little.

relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Does anyone know if there is there a way of printing all current global variables in the debug screen?
This would help me clean up a lot of my code.
NMS
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

(map (sysGlobals) 'excludeNil v (if (isPrimitive (eval v)) Nil v))
Or if you also want to exclude functions:

(map (sysGlobals) 'excludeNil v (if (or (isPrimitive (eval v)) (isFunction (eval v))) Nil v))
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Slightly tweaking and expanding on NMS’s code:

(enum (sysGlobals) v
  (if
    (or
      (not (eval v))           ; Exclude nil
      (isPrimitive (eval v))   ; Exclude primitives
      (isFunction (eval v))    ; Exclude lambdas
    )
    Nil
    (printTo 'console (cat v " = " (eval v)))
  )
)
 That includes code to print each global and its current value to the console.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

sjf wrote: I too find myself so involved in the imagery of what I am talking about that my typing the words for what I want to describe doesn't exactly conform to the language I failed so hard at in school
Text only is a terrible way to communicate IMO. No immediate feedback, ambiguous meanings, and sometimes it just doesn't look right even when it is. Using scrSetActionLabel recently I was looking at the word 'label' so much that it got to the stage where I was thinking "No- that's not right, it's not even a word.". :lol:

NMS and AP:
Thanks to both of you. I commented out the Exclude nil code in AP's example and it works just as I needed. Those pesky little variables pop up everywhere in my code. But not for long!