graphics - overlay image query

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

One feature that would be handy is the ability to place a number, letter or small image on a ship image.

As an example, using a small image of the number '1' and adding it as an overlay that rotates with the ship.
Ths would simulate having a large painted number on the top of the ship and would be very useful for identifying mule autons and other identical ships.

Is it possible to do this?
The recent addition of png support suggests that transparent images possibly can now be used to do this.

If so,what would be required? The images could possibly be resized to a small degree but would never need to be very large.Even if they were used on a CSC they could be small numbers on one of the 4 'lobes' of the deck. And numbers on autons would be small.

A lack of graphics knowledge and ability certainly holds me back in my modding and I believe that others are in the same situation. Although adding the number to the actual ship image itself would be a better solution, most people (including me) can't do this. This would be a small step in helping to rectify this.
Any opinions or advice? TIA.
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
NMS
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I don't think it's possible in Transcendence to have text that rotates without prerendering an image of the text for each facing. As you know, you can attach nonrotating text overlays. And for mules, you can already give them unique names and display them all by opening the comms menu.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Thanks for that info. I'm totally graphics-challenged!

So if a 120 facings image of a black number '1' with a transparent background was created could this image be overlayed on a ship to rotate with it? Or if not overlayed somehow displayed in the same location so it appeared over the top of the ship to appear like a number painted on the hull?
If this can be done I'll spend some time learning how to do this as I think this would be a useful thing to make available to the community.
But I don't want to devote time to it if it can't actually happen now (or yet).

I recall someone mentioning that composite images can already be used in the game but am not sure if this is the same thing.

It just seems to me that having your mules or wingmen/drones clearly numbered on the screen would be a better, easier way of distinguishing them.
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
NMS
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

relanat wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:29 am
So if a 120 facings image of a black number '1' with a transparent background was created could this image be overlayed on a ship to rotate with it?
Yes, that seems like it would work. Though due to the way ships are rendered it might not seem to be on exactly the same part of the ship as it rotates.
relanat wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:29 am
It just seems to me that having your mules or wingmen/drones clearly numbered on the screen would be a better, easier way of distinguishing them.
Honestly, it seems like right-side-up text would be more useful for this.