Wrench Bugs

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

1. The wrench may sometimes (but not always) scrap an entire group of items though the text seems to imply that only one was destroyed.

2. Sometimes the last item in a pile may be replaced by a completely different (fixed) item. It said that there was little danger in fixing the item, but I wonder if it would have caused a crash.

3. Why is it a wrench? Why not a sonic screwdriver?
The Wicked Flea
Miner
Miner

1. The wrench may sometimes (but not always) scrap an entire group of items though the text seems to imply that only one was destroyed.
Typo on my part, sorry. Bugfix on that soon.
2. Sometimes the last item in a pile may be replaced by a completely different (fixed) item. It said that there was little danger in fixing the item, but I wonder if it would have caused a crash.
This is a problem of the select screen when you remove an item. Sometimes you fail and break the item and then new items appear. I haven't seen it do that when it fixes something.... got a screenshot?
3. Why is it a wrench? Why not a sonic screwdriver?
Wrenches are funnier. Bang on something sensitive and fix it by osmosis!

Anyway, I hadn't released a new version because no one mentioned anything. If there's no one bringing things up there's no reason for me to release a fix. A known bug is that it appears statistically impossible to ever learn and increase your level; I have yet to figure out how to get around that. Bug fix soon.

New version uploaded: http://xelerus.unrealcrystal.com/index.php?s=mod&id=13
Last edited by The Wicked Flea on Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

F50 wrote:3. Why is it a wrench? Why not a sonic screwdriver?
Because laser is so much cooler :P

Maybe it's a sonic wrench but the sonic part was forgotten in the description?
The Wicked Flea
Miner
Miner

... maybe I should make it a jackhammer. I thought it was funny that you used something very specific in a destructive manner to repair your various delicate spaceship parts. Maybe not everyone gets the fine humor. :P

See above; new download fixes the mentioned bug.
Sponge
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

See above; new download fixes the mentioned bug.
Which mentioned bug is this? Is it now possible to learn and level up?

Either way, this mod is very nice. When I first heard you were making a wrench, I figured it would just be a generic item fixer. I was quite wrong, it seems. This is quite impressive!

Any ETA on when this thing will be able to break items down into spare parts?
The Wicked Flea
Miner
Miner

Right now just the duplicate item removal is fixed. I'm still working to test and see how to get the learning functioning well. And, well, we'll see how that goes. I think I'll be switching to a D100 system from a 3d6 one ... 1 level will have less an impact than 2 and so on.

ETA unknown and unstated. I have to start a full rewrite to get the dice changes in, and eliminate the silly bugs with breaking items and seeing undamaged stuff, and so on.

That said it could be done tomorrow or the next day, or who knows when. ;) I'll let you all know when it's in progress or at least halfway done.
evilbob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

hmm, what else could it be?

"sharp stick" "Swiss army wrench"

Or, in true RPG style...

"Imperial maintenance wrench of justice"
The Wicked Flea
Miner
Miner

Sorry folks, work has picked up greatly so the deadline on the Wrench 2.0 has been pushed back indefinitely. I hope I can squeeze it out the door sooner than later. :s
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I like the idea of it being called a wrench and I understand the implication behind it... think Ford Wrench! We often use that expression around here-- whenever all else fails when trying to repair it, you grab that Ford wrench and beat the living daylights out of it! :twisted:
Kamikaze
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Yep. Ford Wrench and Duct Tape fix all.

Buh, guh, I LIKE beating the living daylights out of stuff...
I never said I was sane.

I said I was perfectly insane.