Successful build!!

Help building, determining code organization, and other new-to-project problems.
sdw195
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:04 am

I finally got Transcendence to build from the source, with a lot of help from gambitdash :D

steps after following the readme.

change Linker/Input Additional Dependencies = "dxguid.lib version.lib vfw32.lib winmm.lib dsound.lib ddraw.lib odbc32.lib odbccp32.lib ws2_32.lib" to
"version.lib vfw32.lib winmm.lib dsound.lib odbc32.lib odbccp32.lib ws2_32.lib"

open CScreenMgr.cpp and change
line 402 to m_bWindowedMode = true;
line 430 to m_bDX = false;
line 448 to hr = NULL;

if you get an error about "afxres.h"
change it to "windows.h" in
Transcendence.rc line 10 and
Transcendence.rc line 37

save and build!

you MUST run in windowed mode if you do these changes, otherwise it will crash
Last edited by sdw195 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Dash_Merc - George is a genius, in that he created this game engine that is infinitely extendable"
"<@sheepluva>Good night everybody, may the source be with you." <-- FOSG dev
"You only need THREE tools in life - WD-40 to make things go, Duct Tape to make things stop And C-4 to make things go away"

GambitDash
Developer
Developer

Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:07 am

Just to provide some background -

The reason why I had sdw195 change those lines is that it was easier than telling him to do the LoadLibrary call and GetProcAddress (see this blog post about the deprecation of the DirectDrawCreateEx and other functions) to get the necessary function call pointer by loading ddraw.dll directly.

If someone wanted to make that change so that it will compile with a DXSDK from this decade (these functions were deprecated in 2002) then I'm sure they would be adopted gratefully :)

Cheers,
--G

Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:18 pm

I'm going to have to try this out when I get a chance, mostly just picking at the source when I have free moments.

*** AWAY ON SABBATICAL ***
** USE EMAIL TO CONTACT ME **

ronelm2000
Miner
Miner

Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:39 pm

GambitDash wrote:Just to provide some background -

The reason why I had sdw195 change those lines is that it was easier than telling him to do the LoadLibrary call and GetProcAddress (see this blog post about the deprecation of the DirectDrawCreateEx and other functions) to get the necessary function call pointer by loading ddraw.dll directly.

If someone wanted to make that change so that it will compile with a DXSDK from this decade (these functions were deprecated in 2002) then I'm sure they would be adopted gratefully :)

Cheers,
--G
hmm...

On the assumption that instructions are still needed for compilation, can I ask what are these instructions Gambit is talking about?

sdw195
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:38 pm

they are in a readme included in the source
"Dash_Merc - George is a genius, in that he created this game engine that is infinitely extendable"
"<@sheepluva>Good night everybody, may the source be with you." <-- FOSG dev
"You only need THREE tools in life - WD-40 to make things go, Duct Tape to make things stop And C-4 to make things go away"