dwarf fortress

A subforum to talk about gaming, new blockbusters and cool indie games.
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I have been wanting to try out dwarf fortress for a while now and today I was looking around there forums and I saw Fossaman 8)

does anyone else play?

can you give a starting player any tips?
Crying is not a proper retort!
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Dwarf fortress? Link?
george_12aerohawk12
Miner
Miner

steps: 1) open the google homepage www.google.com
2) type dwarf fortress
3) click search
4) click on the first entry
5) shout yay!! i did it thanks aerohawk!! :D
or if you are even dumber than i think you are click
here www.bay12games.com/dwarves

as for betel alas i am too dumfounded :( the UI too tough for me its in my trashcan now :D

i saw it in one of george's interview
doctorfrog
Anarchist
Anarchist

Honestly, if you need to be spoonfed a link to the game, the game itself will definitely frustrate you beyond all sense. It's so complex that I'm waiting another year or two for it to mature before jumping in.
Sheltem
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Nethack is better.
Although Dwarf Fortress looks like a very complex and thus deeply addicting & entertaining rougelike its just too text-based.

you see: "$%@
" <- an arc
$ <- a portal to hell
% <- a big black dragon guarding the portal
@ <- a gigantic dealy beast of hell crawling out of the portal

... too much imagination for me AND to much looking-up-what-it-is

@doctorfrog > if it is already too complex, wouldn't maturing make it more complex ;) ?
Last edited by Sheltem on Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
regards
Sheltem

What do you think about the endless stream of spawns ?

What about modding wandering spawns which dont attack the player directly ?
OddBob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

too text-base.
http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.htm <-----Tiles
doctorfrog
Anarchist
Anarchist

Sheltem wrote:@doctorfrog > if it is already too complex, wouldn't maturing make it more complex ;) ?
Say hello to your friend, the automatic transmission ;-) Also, the graphical user interface, word processors, even things like doorknobs and water faucets. All these devices were predated by cruder interfaces that essentially accessed the same resource or function. Their 'interfaces' have since matured, and require less mental or physical labor to operate, while not compromising on functionality.

Seriously, the more advanced things get, the more complex they get on the inside. Once maturity catches up with the complexity, it becomes simpler to operate. Not that it will be simple per se, but Dwarf Fortress is developing the core of its gameplay at a faster rate than the interface... the interface has some catching up to do. Nethack, on the other hand, is very mature, and has a surprisingly elegant interface. Completely different games, though, you'd be better off comparing Dwarf Fortress to anoter siege simulator, such as Stronghold. IMO, of course.