Periculi's Got a New Multiplayer Browser Game!

A subforum to talk about gaming, new blockbusters and cool indie games.
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Well my friends, the time has come to reveal to you my secret project!

I have been working on a `Persistent Browser Based Game` or PBBG as they are known by the trendier types.

At this point in time I am still a little way out from a public offering. However, I am announcing today that I am looking for some beta testers and idea tasters to help me get through the final stages of preparing Loot for public consumption.

This might give you an idea of what it's all about:
Now is the time to explore the other side of fantasy role playing games, time to consider the millions of minions in thousands of dungeons that have been slaughtered by inconsiderate adventurers over the years. Have Ye not been one yourself? Are you tired of the level grind?

But more importantly - Have Ye not a heart for these poor critters? - or even a light curiousity about what goes on in a dungeon when it's not being invaded by greedy adventurers intent on mayhem and destruction for the singular purpose of leveling up, and, of course, filling their over sized bags-of-holding with ill-gotten gains? ...well, then this is the game for you!

Take a stand against this indiscriminate slaughter of your dungeon friends! Kill pesky adventurers in as many ways as possible and build a dungeon that will truly give even the mightiest of these loot stealing death-mongers pause. Stand up for the rights of, and yes, even become a friend to, those hundreds of varieties of dungeon dwellers you've stomped on in the past and learn to appreciate the underground lifestyle they reveal to you. Some say it's an acquired taste, but even if you never acquire it there is the added benefit of all that loot you will gain from the mangled corpses of adventurers who fell into your devious traps, for your clever strategies, or ran afoul your heavily armed minions.
So, Loot is played from the perspective of the Dungeon in a fantasy setting. Rather than being the Adventurer on a quest, your challenge is to end the quest for as many adventurers as possible.

Loot is being built in Flash (yes, flash plug in required) and it is mostly a text game for now. The game will be improved with more artwork and animated action as various milestones are reached. At this point in time, my goal is to test the game mechanic and keep it as simple as possible.

If that sounds like something you would be interested in, and/or if you like to be involved in the early stages of a new game and make your mark in it's design and development, come over to the Periculi Game Developer Forum and create an account. When you do, use your transcendence forum name, or post in the public forum you will see that you came over because of this (George pre-approved) advetisement.

Once the game beta is online, you will be able to put things to the test, mash buttons and sometimes break them, find all the holes in my grand scheme, and hopefully enjoy yourself. Motivated and highly interested people who help get this project to it's public release will be given lifetime coolness privileges (anything and everything in-game we can think of) and other goodies once the game goes online, and everyone who helps and wants to be included in the game credits will be.

I came to this community first because I have been around a while and made some really good connections here. All of you here seem to be the perfect combination of game-player / game-modder / game-consultant and I would really appreciate some feedback on my project.
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

sounds interesting I play a couple of games like this. Will register. 8)
Crying is not a proper retort!
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Count me in too :D

Can't wait to see what you have made of this
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Thanks! I am still setting up the info for you, give me a little time to put some stuff together.

Let me know if you have any problems registering, send a PM here.
Prophet
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Looks really interesting!

I look forward to trying it out :D
Coming soon: The Syrtian War adventure mod!
A Turret defense genre mod exploring the worst era in Earth's history.
Can you defend the Earth from the Syrtian invaders?
Stay tuned for updates!
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

very interesting Periculi :D
I'll try it
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

yay! The more the merrier!

It's still rather early on this, I may have jumped the gun bit, but it seemed like a good thing to do and it has certainly been a huge motivation boost seeing the response so far.

Unfortunately I find it hard to write up all the details of things, so the forums are kind of staggering along with regards to laying out the gist of things - I added some general notes and such over there to give you a taste of what's coming along. On the other side of the coin - the game itself is coming along rather well, and we will be actively putting it to the test very shortly.

edit - wowsers! 1200th post!
Last edited by Periculi on Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

^^
Sounds like fun - I signed up!
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
Blitz
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

*BlitzHere jumps on to the BandWagon*
Incidentally is why do I keep getting the same CAPTCHA when I refresh???

EDIT - It's the same letters, not necessarily the same CAPTCHA...
Last edited by Blitz on Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Blitz wrote:*BlitzHere jumps on to the BandWagon*
Incidentally is why do I keep getting the same CAPTCHA when I refresh???

EDIT - It's the same letters, not necessarily the same CAPTCHA...
Pretty sure it sets the captcha code letters in the session in SMF, and doesn't seem to offer a way to get other letters, but does change the image. I hate captcha, which is another reason I use flash. Bots can't read it yet, and eventually when they do - a simple drag and drop (put the square peg in the square hole) should do them in for quite a long time further.

Incidentaly - did you get an email at your address for registering? My server is still working on getting established with your email provider.
Blitz
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

There is that option. But just wanted to check...
schilcote
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Sounds interesting. I'll join when I get the opportunity. You don't mind if I poke at the system a bit, do you? Better for me to find the 'sploits (and there WILL be some) than for someone who isn't quite so friendly...

What's it coded in again?

EDIT:

Oh, flash. Well. Disregard the above statements.
[schilcote] It doesn't have to be good, it just has to not be "wow is that the only thing you could think of" bad
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Actually the game server is in PHP, and flash is just the client. Contact me about penetration testing as I would love to find what you can come up with and get some help plugging any SQL inject points, CSRF vulnerabilities or other exploit problems.
PKodon
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant
Location: "Minocs. I've got a baaad feeling about this.... This is no cave!"

Okay, I'm an old-time Interactive Fiction player (all those Infocom, Adventure International, IF-Archive submissions, et al), and have played around with programming in Inform.

Wondering if you wrote your own parser for this text-based version of your game.

It sounds like an interesting perspective. I'm not usually into playing games from the "enemy" perspective, but, even if I don't sign up, if I can offer any suggestions I think of, I'll sure pass them along.

Oh, and I'm not really into online games (I've lost access to the internet too many times, for too long, to get involved in online-only games. Lost my access just after signing up for these forums, then when I did get back on, waited a month and a half for reinstatement before I could post.). If you consider an offline, single-player mode, I might consider testing that for you.

PK
"Don't ask ..., I don't wanna know, and I don't wanna care!" - PK
Meet us on IRC --> Image
"... the hornet battlepod is the closest we have ingame to flying into battle in a wheelbarrow
with a bathtub nailed upside down to the top of it to provide armor."
- The Shrike
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Be nice to have your thoughts on things - come over to the forums if you'd like to check out the information and ongoing ideas.

I don't have a plan to do a single player version.

On the text parser - well, when I say text - I mean it's lists and options and blocks of text messages, not like a MUD with text maps - which I think you may be referring to. (Correct me if I am wrong there)

When I do implement the maps, they will be tile based overhead perspective for the dungeon or possibly isometric, and all overhead for the world maps - drawn-style sort of like was done in Elder Scrolls world maps. Flash makes that an easy thing to do.