Dwarf Fortress (Tombsink Succession Game)

A subforum to talk about gaming, new blockbusters and cool indie games.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I know Atarlost plays it, and I've just started this week (and I suck, although I have yet to end up in a screaming and insane spiral of violence on my first game). Anyone else enjoy a little Fun with the Urist's? I'm thinking about trying to find some people to try a succession game.
Last edited by Song on Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Twir
Closed Account
Closed Account

My games never really last beyond getting migrants, so i dont have any real expiernce, though i know how to set everything up
Also, set me up for a succession game! i would love to contribute to the death of another fort!
schilcote
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

If someone started a succession game 'round these parts, I'd probably participate in it. Somehow. Even though I don't check these forums anymore.
[schilcote] It doesn't have to be good, it just has to not be "wow is that the only thing you could think of" bad
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Sweet. if we can get 5 people willing to round-robin it, I'll set up a nice location we can ruin, take the first year....and then try to learn how to use the militia system, levers, mechanisms and basically anything I'll need to do by the time my turn comes around again.

(Gotta give the biggest n00b the first turn. Partly so that I don't immediately doom the fortress. Mostly so that the next person has a hilarious struggle to fix my mess up.)
schilcote
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Maybe if we just start other people will join in.
[schilcote] It doesn't have to be good, it just has to not be "wow is that the only thing you could think of" bad
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

All right then, let's get this started....I'll be using a LazyNewPack embark to save time and tears later. probably. I'm not so good at the interface, so my update won't be the most descriptive. But there shouldn't be *that* much to talk about in the first year. We hope. [/tempting fate]

Suggested Rules:

-2 weeks max per turn, update what happens. Try to do it in 1 week, however.
-1 year ingame per turn, from spring to spring. You can cut it short if you want, and the next person can either finish your turn, or take the extra time out of your year.
-You don't turn up within a few days of your turn coming up, you get skipped, but can take another turn.
-Please don't flood the fort with ANYTHING before Year 5. Person doing Year 5, this is not an invitation to flood the fort for teh lulz. Let's see how long we can make these poor buggers last.
- For the sake of the n00bs like me, try to make defense not rely on intimate familiarity with the military system. Because some of us SUCK at it.
-Please leave notes on at least half of all levers, intricate machines, elaborate death-traps, fortress flooding systems and/or superweapons saying *exactly* what they do. Likewise, if your superweapon will flood the fort if turned on and you are ending your turn, please flip a coin. If it's heads, leave a note SAYING that this will happen. Then flip another coin. If it's also heads, say what needs to be fixed/finished.

I'll take the first turn...so who wants to be second? Once the first 3 places are set (which should be easy), I'll set up and begin (Also, any tips on where we want to go? I was planning on Untamed Wilds, but specific geography is up in the air....do we want a volcano? Flux? Aquifer? Sea? River?)
Last edited by Song on Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schilcote
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Shrike wrote:
I'll take the first turn...so who wants to be second? Once the first 3 places are set (which should be easy), I'll set up and begin (Also, any tips on where we want to go? I was planning on Untamed Wilds, but specific geography is up in the air....do we want a volcano? Flux? Aquifer? Sea? River?)
MEEEEEE

I say seaside, if you can find a spot with no aquifer. Probably impossible. Definitely no aquifer though, those make it pretty much impossible to do anything. Definitely want a river, so we can have moats and water supply.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I know of a rock formation that would allow that, but it's quite rare...I'll need to go read through the Battlefailed documents to try and find the specifics...
Twir
Closed Account
Closed Account

I want in too!

Put it at the mountains with a river or similar, the (over)abundance of stone allows for a awesome fort, we have a source of infinite water to make power, and in the case one of us renders the old fort uninhabitable, we can build a backup fort in another part of the mountains!
schilcote
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Twir wrote:I want in too!

Put it at the mountains with a river or similar, the (over)abundance of stone allows for a awesome fort, we have a source of infinite water to make power, and in the case one of us renders the old fort uninhabitable, we can build a backup fort in another part of the mountains!
You know what? Chkdsk the seaside fort idea. Do what this guy says.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Alright then. I'll get to work. :)
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Without further ado, I bring us to Geththur "The Past Universe", a fairly ordinary world, where savagery is rampant, and survival not alway so easy. In the Land of Soaking, At the edge of the Jungle of Eviscerators, in the foothills of the Unbridled Spine, a lonely wagon winds its way across a valley. A breeze flows off the Defended Mires, and the heat is stifling. A wheel breaks on the wagon, and after a quick conference....
TranscendenceEmbark2.png
TranscendenceEmbark2.png (8.8 KiB) Viewed 15050 times

Ok guys. We've got an....interesting....location here. We're on the edge of 3 large areas, with the dwarves as our nearest neighbours, then goblins, then humans. No Elves by the looks of things (YAAAAAAAY!). We have FIVE biomes in our embark, which is a bit larger than a regular one, so be careful of FPS. I'll update once I've got the embark set up nicely. Here's the basic location:
TranscendenceEmbark.png
TranscendenceEmbark.png (13.85 KiB) Viewed 15050 times
This isn't our actual embark, I moved it northwest so the brook was more convenient. But it gives you the idea. It is HOT here, very tropical, and there's an aquifer *somewhere* in the embark, but only a small part of it (we hope). Edit: Whoops, no I didn't. Fortunately there's some ponds, some of which are not swamp water, but if we ever want to use the brook for power, you'll probably have to tunnel over there. Oh, and there's a LOT of red sand. And loam. And clay/loam. We are NOT short on soil types.

In case you haven't noticed yet.....our fort is called 'Tombsink". In a map with an aquifer AND a river AND a jungle of things wanting to kill us. Please be careful, everyone.

(I'll admit it. I decided we were going to be in this general area as soon as I read "Jungle of Eviscerators" in the map generation screen. Because DANG, that's got potential.)
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Shrike wrote:which is a bit larger than a regular one, so be careful of FPS.
Well that answers the question of whether I'll be able to take a turn. Probably for the best.
Literally is the new Figuratively
Twir
Closed Account
Closed Account

I heard that the dungeon master is bugged and doesn't unlock the exotic animals, so when my turn comes, can i edit all the [PET_EXOTIC] tags into [PET]?
Also, do i need a clean dwarf fortress folder? i got a big mod that will cause a massive rise in content and difficulty...
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Atarlost wrote:
Shrike wrote:which is a bit larger than a regular one, so be careful of FPS.
Well that answers the question of whether I'll be able to take a turn. Probably for the best.
Take an early one and get in before the place is on fire.

Twir, I think making the taming work is fine (we won't need it for a while, hopefully). I'm not sure about the clean DF folder...when it's your turn, give it a go, and if it hopelessly corrupts we'll savescum to the last good save.