Dwarf Fortress (Tombsink Succession Game)

A subforum to talk about gaming, new blockbusters and cool indie games.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Seasonal Update: End of Autumn

A new batch of minions arrived, having made their way over after being thrown out of the mountainhomes for petty theft and the like. Some are useful, some are not. One WOLD be useful, had he not decided to run into the cave unarmed screaming "LEEEEEEEEEEEEEROOOOOOOOY!!!!" An Elk-bird got him, and then died. I wonder at the quality of minion I have to work with here. One suicides on a rather nasty beast, and all the others RUN for his corpse with a unified cry of "SOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".

Pathetic. All of them. But it's what I've got, and a girl's got to take over the continent *somehow*.

The cistern is built and ready to fill. I'm reading some old hydraulics manual to see what precautions need to be taken, but it really is not helping. The section entitled "What can go wrong" consists of a single blank page with the word "Everything" hastily scribbled in. The book appears to have been waterlogged at some stage.

I have also had furnaces constructed.....and copper and silver smelted. We can't do anything with it, but we'll have some metals we can use once we requisition an anvil.

Work on my tomb is progressing rather well. To make sure it's done right, I'm doing the engraving myself. Some of these engravings are pure masterpieces, if I may say so myself.
Traders came while I was doing this....I sent our *other* trained negotiater to broker a deal, since I've got a rather hefty price on my head, and those caravan guards are apparently too good for us to slaughter. He decided to help me on my tomb instead.

So I sent the cook over instead. He gave our entire stock of cut gems to the mountainhomes as a gift because he was drunk*. THIS IS TREASON! I'LL HAVE YOU- wait, didn't that liason chap say something about the mountainhomes losing their entire stockpile of cut gems or something? Maybe they'll cancel that bounty on me now I've replaced a full half of it. But we NEED THAT ANVIL, and thanks to Cookie McDrunkStupid, WE HAVE NO MONEY NOW. IDIOTS! I AM SURROUNDED BY THEM!

...wait, we have some more rough gems in the stockpile? Well GO AND CUT THEM BEFORE THEY LEAVE....the gems! NOT the merchants!....oh, and seal the fortress while you're at it. Let's "encourage" them to stay a little longer.

I'm actually at midwinter, and doing this from memory. After hitting the wrong button and donating our gem stockpiles....I had to whip up enough silver nuggets and cut gems to pay for a single anvil. But the mountainhomes LOVE us now.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Ok. Trolls are bad news. It's official.

Casualties: 2 dwarves....at least one of them was expendable, but I think one may have been somewhat useful....and our broker now has a fractured hip. Everything else is fixed. On the plus side, we now have a hospital, and the cook/broker will definitely survive. He's pretty upbeat as well. I'm giving him a nicer room as compensation for the loss of most of his mobility. I just hope we have some spare crutches..... And the troll is gone. I've sealed the outside for safety reasons...we're out of wood, but until there's nothing outside, I'm not risking more dwarves.

Edit:Sorry guys, DF conked out on me, and I had to kill the process. On the plus side, this means we have miraculously alive dwarves because the game didn't auto-save before the crash. On the downside, I have to do everything again...and I had a really *nice* hospital set up as well. :(
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Seasonal Update: End of Winter

...One of those damned caravan guards recognised me! Curses! I must be away. As soon as spring breaks, I'll pay some sucker to take my name and stay on in the fort....there's no way this place can survive now some stupid mercenary is out there spreading the word that I'm here.....at least...not unless those fools back home cancel their little bounty.

I have caved in to pressure and ordered the construction of a hospital....as befitting a Evil Lair, I have made it possible to isolate the ward and cistern from the rest of the fort.....from the inside. Muahahahaha. Someone's gonna hate my guts for that in time. I don't care. I'm outta here in just a month!

Sadly, my cistern will not be finished by the time I leave this godforsaken sweatpit. The outlet still needs building and linking up to control gates.....my last act before slipping through the Hidden Escape Tunnel to freedom was to order one of the miners to go and prepare the wall of the outlet for the carving of fortifications...with luck, the fools left behind will work out that those fortifications, combined with a grate, some floodgates and a few basic controls and linkages are all that is needed for the Cistern to function. I may be leaving these fools to their deaths, but I'd like my machine to be damned well BUILT PROPERLY!

But now.....now I am free....free from those idiots who can't follow orders properly, free from the trolls, and the honey badgers, and that wierd THING that got that metalcrafting idiot. Free from the monotony and idiocy of Tombsink. But mark my words....the world has not heard the last of RITH SAVORTRIGOTH! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

...I think I'll go find a volcano. Volcanoes are good. Or maybe an island? There's some nice islands on this planet. Some of them are probably empty enough for my own little Realm of Terror.........

heh heh heh. Yeah, the cistern needs finishing. Were it not for Artificial Stupidity, it'd be done, but the miners kept caving stuff in (not HURTING them, just knocking themselves out every so often), flooding the outlet channel before finishing it, etc. In case it's not obvious: The drain tunnel leads to Blightedcave. Carve a fortification to keep out the cave nasties (THIS IS IMPORTANT, OR BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN!), then a grate to REALLY keep them out (You can't be too careful), then a floodgate to allow you to drain the cistern... Bonus points if you manage to weaponise it at some stage against the cave beasties and/or convert it to a hydro-power system. You'll be getting some Fun from that cave in due course, I assure you. We've lost 1 alpaca to a troll, and there was an enraged honey badger running around outside the front drawbridge. I've left some notes...most of which are up-to-date, some of which are not. Have fun, and maybe some Fun as well.....and Keep Tombsink Alive!

Note: Before getting any wood (which you will need, as we're out of charcoal and we have the wood-cutters axres (two of them) and a single wooden crossbow (with no bolts)), you'll need to open the front drawbridge, which is currently closed....make sure that Fun cannot walk into the fort at any stage. leaving the drawbridge open for extended periods of time ensures rapid and terminal Fun for all the fortress. Oh, and at least a quarter of all ores (silver and copper) that the dwarves have collected is in the Quantum Stone Pile, which means they need claiming at some point.

Thus ends my first ever succession game turn, and my first serious go at keeping a fortress alive. It's been great, I've learned a LOT of fortress management stuff, and I'll be signing up for another turn later on at some point. :)

Schilcote, it is now your turn, you have 2 weeks (try for 1)... The save is HERE...try and give some updates as well. :)
schilcote
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Oh my god, my dwarf worships a deity called Sod.
[schilcote] It doesn't have to be good, it just has to not be "wow is that the only thing you could think of" bad
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

schilcote wrote:Oh my god, my dwarf worships a deity called Sod.

The names in this world are awesome. :twisted:
schilcote
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

JOURNAL OF SCHILCOTE KOGANDOLUSH, CHEIF ENGINEER OF RAKUSTLIKOT

Today, the current Overseer, one Miss Rith Savotrigoth, came up to me today and handed me control of the fortress.

Sod and Fer help us all.

I've been looking over the maps of the fortress and, I'll be honest, they make no sense to me. In my previous brief stints as Overseer of other fortresses, I was used to a central stairway leading down deep into the ground, off of which other rooms would branch.

The space for the workshops is rather small, I'll have to corre-

----

"Mr. Overseer!"

"Yes?"

"Four dwarves just died from thirst!"

"What?"

----

Apparently, someone decided it'd be a good idea to A: Not make booze and B: seal us off from the brook outside. I have rectified this situation.

In the meantime, another dwarf died. I will have to offer condolences to his friends and family, if he had any. This is still a young fortress.

I'm going to go make some mechanisms. Apparently, upon my arrival at this fortress I was listed as a professional strand extractor of all things. True, I did have a brief stint at the Mountainhome, but engineering has always been my calling.

Also, some migrants arrived, all peasants and cheesemakers, and a stray two-humped camel succumbed to infection.

EDIT:

[schilcote] It doesn't have to be good, it just has to not be "wow is that the only thing you could think of" bad
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Oh yeah. I'd designated the cistern as a water source, but then it emptied itself into the drain tunnel when the idiots decided to do Task 5 before tasks 1-4, so I removed it. Sorry. :(

On the plus side, I'm fairly sure I had a coffin surplus, so you now have more stockpile space. :)
schilcote
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Cog has claimed a Mason's workshop, taken a single stone (a piece of silver ore), and begun his construction. Hopefully it'll be something useful.

----

Cog has finished his construction. It is a hatch cover, of course. Sod damnnit Cog.

I have ordered the construction of a large central staircase around which future developments, such as the expansion of the workshop area, will be centered. There is also a shortage of stone in this fortress. Not sure how that was achieved.

We are having a minor crisis of idleness because of the shortage of worksho-

---

"Overseer! We have discovered an expansive cavern deep underground!"

---

I have an idea for using this cavern. More later.

----

It seems our miners lack intelligence; they cannot figure out how to dig the staircases neccecarry to access the cavern. I suppose it is for the best, really. Caverns are dangerous.

I have continued the construction of the staircase through a pillar in the cavern. We must find magma so that we can smelt some of this silver.

My mechanisms have been going well. I just created a masterpiece.

----

I have finally located the still, but I have held off on ordering the production of drinks for now. Our farming operation is dangerously undersized, and I worry that making food into drink will lead us all to starvation. I have ordered the farm plots expanded.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Well, Sod knows there's enough sand for it. XD
schilcote
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I have decided to begin conscripting dwarves for the military. The new military squad is called The Scorching Fountains, and they are composed of all the dwarves in the fortress with any kind of combat skill, and some poor useless padding.

Also, some migrants arrived, trying to get away from the monotony of the Mountainhome no doubt.

I have ordered some trees cut down. And by some, I mean all of them. We need wood for a project.

For some reason, I'm being spammed by "Urist McArsehole cancles Store Item In Stockpile: Item Inaccessable" messages. It's blocking out actually important messages. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

I am going to look over the previous overseer's cistern and, if it checks out, activate it.

----

It looks alright, though since it's not my design there's no way to be sure. I'm ordering the fill lever pulled now.

In other news, I need some booze. I shall order the still fired up here soon.

----

Success! It seems our previous overseer had a much more limited knowledge of hydrodynamics than myself, the label on the fill lever indicated that the fortress will flood if it is left on. This is not the case.

Wait, is that... blood?

It is.

Our water source is contaminated. Maybe. Maybe it's fine. I'm an engineer, not a cleaner.

This fortress' layout never ceases to confuse me. I cannot find my farm plots on the maps so that I can check if they are ready to support booze production.

----

Uh oh.

I guess I can forget about that drink...
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

...you.....did remember to build the drainage system, right? Because otherwise you can't flush the cistern.

And yeah. The "store item in stockpile" thing started about halfway-2/3rds through my year, and never stopped...I tried a bunch of things, moving the stockpiles and the like. I suspect it's one of the smaller stockpiles, or that there's something that they're trying to stockpile that's in a flooded part of the cistern.

..Unless it's the barrels. Which might explain the inability of dwarves to brew enough booze.
schilcote
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Shrike wrote:...you.....did remember to build the drainage system, right? Because otherwise you can't flush the cistern.
... Hmm?
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

schilcote wrote:
Shrike wrote:...you.....did remember to build the drainage system, right? Because otherwise you can't flush the cistern.
... Hmm?
Eh, it probably won't be fatal any time soon. Unless you butcher our entire animal stock (which might be a good idea, they're just standing around and getting killed by trolls/honey badgers ATM) inside the cistern and leave their corpses to rot there.

Edit: No more witticisms from me, my laptop transformer just melted. Cya when it's fixed!
schilcote
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

The construction of the larger workshop area is done. However, the food crisis is yet to be dealt with. I think I will order our growers to go out and gather plants so that we can have food for slightly longer, at least until the next caravan arrives.

I may also construct a fish processing workshop.

----

A woodworker was taken by a fey mood today. He took a few pieces of wood and a single gem. The fey moods in this place suck. At least they're not posessions.

----

A weapon rack. Better than a hatch cover.

I recently attained legendary status a few days ago.

----

A gremlin arrived at our fortress today. I ordered the newly-formed military after it as a test.

It found its way into the cave systems under our fortress; apparently there is an entrance on the surface. Unfortunately, the gremlin was lost track of before the military could get moving. I shall order them to attack some wild animals once they arrive; maybe we can eat them after they're done. The animals, not the military.

----

I have built a chamber above the cistern for a well. Unfortunately, we don't have a bucket or a rope to make the well itself with. The bucket we can make, but the rope we will have to order from the caravans.

----

I have begun construction on my project.

EDIT:

----

A troll has found its way into the bedrooms. I do not know how. I am sending the military to deal with it. I was hoping to test them on a slightly less menacing target first.

----

Our new military has proven surprisingly effective; the troll was dealt with in seconds.

A caravan has arrived.

----

Rith Savogiroth has died, under extremely mysterious circumstances, near the entrance to the cave. She will be placed in her unnecessarily opulent burial chamber to rest. Sod knows what she was doing out there to suddenly bleed to death for no reason.

----

Goblin ambush, must get out on the field to direct operations.

----

The Scorching Fountains have been all but eliminated. However, they successfully repelled the goblin invasion. I will have to find new conscripts to replace the dead.
schilcote
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I put some cheesemakers and bonecrafters in the military and sent them after the Giant Capybara which are idling around outside the fortress. I think a few of them have died, I'll have to check.

Also, Kol Udibalath, a lye maker, has gone stark raving mad. Poor fellow.

Many of our dwarves, especially the miners, are throwing tantrums. I hope we have not fallen into a tantrum spiral. Aparently, many considered Rith a friend.

While the military was fighting the gobbos, I had a dwarf go out and buy a rope from the caravan.

----

One of our miners has gone insane, striken by melancholy. This is very bad. I myself am quite content, though the state of the fort can be quite depressing, and I've gone without a drink for far, far too long.

I think I will make some more mechanisms, and plan out my project some more.

----

I think I've identified one of the factors that is contributing to our degrading morale; the dining room is naught but three tables in the corner of the idling room. I will have to have the remaining miner, Cog Fikodtan, dig out a new one as soon as he finishes destroying our front drawbridge in a hysterical fit.

I have created a few more masterwork mechanisms.

----

Cerol, the insane miner, has died from thirst, along with a bunch of dwarves who were apparently injured.

----

I think I may have to step down as overseer soon. I do not know how to deal with these crises; I only know how to make machines. I will have to reclaim my position later, when the fortress is on more stable ground.

----

A recruit has gone berzerk.

I have made my decision. For the good of the fortress, I am going to step down as soon as my project is finished. Sod and Fer help us all.

EDIT:

A forgotton beast has arrived in the cavern beneath the fortress, the one connected to the surface. It is heading surface-ward rapidly.

If you'll excuse my vulgarity, we're all @#$!.

Interesting. Apparently, you can't frikkin' swear on these fuisha forums.

EDIT:

Just after the forgotten beast arrived, a goblin siege arrived as well. There is only one thing to do at this point.

I am sealing off the fortress from the outside world.

EDIT:

Because it is now impossible to continue work on my project, the Schiltrap, I have decided to immediately step down as overseer. I will, however, remain the fortress' chief and only engineer. To future overseers, I have left notes regarding the completion of the Schiltrap, if we encounter such a time in which my project can be completed.

Long live Tombsink.

The instructions for finishing the Schiltrap are placed in notes near the relevant machinery. Here they are in image form, in case you can't find them:

Le save