Anyone up for some multiplayer games?

A subforum to talk about gaming, new blockbusters and cool indie games.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I'm fairly sure we had another thread like this way back when, but I'm not trawling the archives to necro a thread from years ago.

In IRC, we used to hear fairly good commentary of guys playing Unreal Tournament 2004 (which sadly, I do not have), and we've talked games a lot, this being an IRC channel for a gaming community. Sadly, I've never been able to join in through not having the right games. So what games do we play that have a good multiplayer component? And maybe, who's up for some co-op or Deathmatch on something? I suck at multiplayer, and I've never EVER played a deathmatch game (Ok, except single-player against bots on Quake III)..

Currently I've got every Half Life game ever made *except* the GoldSrc version of Half Life (which is annoying, since I'd love the mods for it) and Decay (which is also annoying, since it's the only Half Life game with co-op)...of which three (Half Life Source Deathmatch, Opposing Force & Half Life 2 Deathmatch) are potentially games I can multiplayer on. I've also got Far Cry 1 (which would actually be a far more enjoyable game with co-op, I have to say....bloody fraking mutant things...) and Black Mesa (which is obviously single-player, unless you mod it, which IS possible). And the demo of Jurassic Park Trespasser, which doesn't count since it's barely even a game, and doesn't have Multiplayer (which given I've SEEN the player-characters third-person viewmodel is a darned good thing). When Black Mesa Deathmatch gets released sometime in the 24th century, I'll also have that.

Free games I've occasionally tossed into IRC as "these might be possible to mess around with sometime if anyone's up for it" are Xonotic (Deathmatch/Team Deathmatch/etc)and Alien Swarm (Mostly co-op, only one "official" campaign but there's a bunch of mod campaigns and maps that boost replayability.

Alien Swarm in particular looks really nice, and if anyone else is interested in hosting a game (my computer will NOT handle that) I'd leap at the chance to burn some gigs of my data plan and grab it. I've never done co-op either, so it should be pretty fun.

So what do other people have/like the idea of, or what free stuff might they suggest playing? I'm out of the country (and away from computers) for the whole of December, but there's gotta be some people around interested in shooting some stuff.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Shrike wrote:I'm fairly sure we had another thread like this way back when, but I'm not trawling the archives to necro a thread from years ago.

In IRC, we used to hear fairly good commentary of guys playing Unreal Tournament 2004 (which sadly, I do not have), and we've talked games a lot, this being an IRC channel for a gaming community. Sadly, I've never been able to join in through not having the right games. So what games do we play that have a good multiplayer component? And maybe, who's up for some co-op or Deathmatch on something? I suck at multiplayer, and I've never EVER played a deathmatch game (Ok, except single-player against bots on Quake III)..

Currently I've got every Half Life game ever made *except* the GoldSrc version of Half Life (which is annoying, since I'd love the mods for it) and Decay (which is also annoying, since it's the only Half Life game with co-op)...of which three (Half Life Source Deathmatch, Opposing Force & Half Life 2 Deathmatch) are potentially games I can multiplayer on. I've also got Far Cry 1 (which would actually be a far more enjoyable game with co-op, I have to say....bloody fraking mutant things...) and Black Mesa (which is obviously single-player, unless you mod it, which IS possible). And the demo of Jurassic Park Trespasser, which doesn't count since it's barely even a game, and doesn't have Multiplayer (which given I've SEEN the player-characters third-person viewmodel is a darned good thing). When Black Mesa Deathmatch gets released sometime in the 24th century, I'll also have that.

Free games I've occasionally tossed into IRC as "these might be possible to mess around with sometime if anyone's up for it" are Xonotic (Deathmatch/Team Deathmatch/etc)and Alien Swarm (Mostly co-op, only one "official" campaign but there's a bunch of mod campaigns and maps that boost replayability.

Alien Swarm in particular looks really nice, and if anyone else is interested in hosting a game (my computer will NOT handle that) I'd leap at the chance to burn some gigs of my data plan and grab it. I've never done co-op either, so it should be pretty fun.

So what do other people have/like the idea of, or what free stuff might they suggest playing? I'm out of the country (and away from computers) for the whole of December, but there's gotta be some people around interested in shooting some stuff.

Actually, we talked about URT (which isn't Unreal!) its a free came called Urban Terror, I have a server that we can use as a community if there is enough interest.
There are other games like Cube or WarZone we can play multiplayer to,

but personally I can't wait for Anacron! :D
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Nice thread Shrike! :D
Right now here are the games I've played/have:
Command and Conquer: Generals (I also have Zero Hour)
Unreal Tournament 2004
Age of Empires II
Black Mesa (if it ever gets a multiplayer)

I can get Xotonic and/or Alien Swarm if anybody else wants to get it as well.
I also play children's card games and Mud and Blood 2.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Vachtra
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

It would be neat to play Total Annihilation one day when I actually have time but that's some months away.
I got it to work on my 64 bit laptop with some work arounds.
"Have you guys ever watched the show?" ~ Guy
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

RPC wrote:Nice thread Shrike! :D
Right now here are the games I've played/have:
Command and Conquer: Generals (I also have Zero Hour)
Unreal Tournament 2004

Age of Empires II
Black Mesa (if it ever gets a multiplayer)
I can get Xotonic and/or Alien Swarm if anybody else wants to get it as well.I also play children's card games and Mud and Blood 2.
RPC: http://chzmemebase.files.wordpress.com/ ... ebuild.jpg

I'd be happy to play a round with or against you if I can find the time :P
I have a small collection of alternate (better!) AI bots which are more challenging to play against,
and there's always CBA madness XD
Last edited by FourFire on Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
(func(Admin Response)= true){
if(admin func(amiable) = true)
Create func(Helpful Posts)
else func(Keep Calm and Post derisive topics)}
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Sure :D
Poke me on IRC when it's Satuday PST?
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I own a copy of AoEII at home. I don't have it here though. I also don't know if my home broadband will be fast enough not to slow games to a crawl. Still, when I get home I'll see if I can dig it out. it's been years since I've played, and I kinda suck at it anyway....but I'm more than willing to be cannon-fodder for others.

I'll probably burn my last few gigs of broadband here at uni on downloading Alien Swarm.

Edit: I've now got Alien Swarm. It feels pretty nice, although there's a few things I haven't gotten the hang of just yet from the little practise level they have. And all the potential for Fun that a good co-op game brings. That said, given how I have to play it on fairly low settings just for it to work, I'm not gonna be able to host a game myself.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Shrike wrote:I own a copy of AoEII at home. I don't have it here though. I also don't know if my home broadband will be fast enough not to slow games to a crawl. Still, when I get home I'll see if I can dig it out. it's been years since I've played, and I kinda suck at it anyway....but I'm more than willing to be cannon-fodder for others.

I'll probably burn my last few gigs of broadband here at uni on downloading Alien Swarm.

Edit: I've now got Alien Swarm. It feels pretty nice, although there's a few things I haven't gotten the hang of just yet from the little practise level they have. And all the potential for Fun that a good co-op game brings. That said, given how I have to play it on fairly low settings just for it to work, I'm not gonna be able to host a game myself.
I doubt anyone's really in practice with AoE2 anymore. I'm on a nostalgia kick and playing a bit of it, but I was never good at economy management. If you have the expansion I have some advanced AIs that make less trivial opponents than the default if you want to team or coop versus AI.
Literally is the new Figuratively
Cygnus.X1
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

http://www.getcontinuum.com/

Free massive multiplayer (in fact, no AI/bot opponents at all) 2D overhead space combat game with lots of player-ran servers and an incredible variety of gameplay modes ranging from classic spaceship dogfighting to total conversion mods that change, well, almost everything :mrgreen:

I've been playing this game on and off for close to a decade now ^_^

Forgot my old pwd :oops: so my new name on the game is "Cygnus_X_1" and I usually play on the Extreme Games server which is one of the most popular/populated servers.
Last edited by Cygnus.X1 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I still say we should do a URT/Cube tournament.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Just played Alien Swarm with Shrike. We died.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

RPC wrote:Just played Alien Swarm with Shrike. We died.
But in a very fun way! The game's designed for 4 players, and with two newbies, it ended about as well as you'd expect. If anyone else wants to join in for another playthrough some time, they're more than welcome. The game's fantastic, we just suck at it.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Just found a really good reddit thread here: http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comme ... esoftware/
I found a nifty f2p game:
http://www.ace-spades.com/
That way money isn't an issue, only time, HD space, and internet ;)
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I'm packing up my room ready to move out tomorrow. But once I'm done, if anyone's up for Alien Swarm I'll have nothing better to do now that exams are over.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Ok, I got some cool stuff from the steam sale:

HL2, episodes one and two, and Lost cost
Interstellar Marines (from Shrike)
Mirror's Edge (dunno if that's got multi)
Portal 2
Under the Ocean
and
Unreal Gold (Shrike convinced me to get it :P)