Mantle GPU API will be used in Battlefield 4

A subforum to talk about gaming, new blockbusters and cool indie games.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/graphics ... tlefield-4

There was some surprising news at AMD's GPU14 conference. AMD has created a new low-level API, called Mantle. Supported games will bypass DirectX 11, and talk to the graphics card directly through this new API.

What do you guys think ?
If Mantle offers better performance/quality with the same graphics card, is it going to be the end of the dominion of DirectX ?
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

its the end of standards like opengl, etc
Jay2Jay
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I've been following it for about a month now, and I am even going to get a new r7 260x graphics card (updated 7790). Yes mantle is supposed to be better optimized, specifically for AMD. I do not think that Mantle is the end for Direct X, for the same reason that the xbox one and ps4 are not the end for the xbox360 and ps3, people are already invested in Direct X. Eventually though, like with all things, AMD will be the victor, they always take any advantage presented to them. Since both the xbox one and ps4 will be rocking pure AMD hardware, then I believe they will take advantage of it at least, plus it should ease transition from console to console making AMD the winner hear. No matter how much Microsoft and Sony fight, they are both kneeling to AMD right now, if AMD ever released their own console, saw goodbye to playstations and xboxs as Nvidia will definatly overcharge when they have a monopoly.