Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja

A subforum to talk about gaming, new blockbusters and cool indie games.
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja
it is a fun rouge like game for the ds. I think it is fun and a great game. They even have ways to kill yourself the way a real game should let you do (eats fire pill).
Crying is not a proper retort!
Karl
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

So for you one of the marks of a good game is being able to kill yourself? :shock:

Yeah, I get mad at every game with a gun that doesn't let me point it at my own head. :roll: The game should at lest least me shoot myself in the foot, right? (Heh, that would be funny.)

I mean, creative suicide in games is amusing for a few seconds, but it doesn't add much to gameplay. I'm much more interesting in being able to do things that you're not supposed to do that actually accomplish something.
~
[Grabs a box of batteries.] The power is mine! MINE! Ah hahaha! AHHHH HAHAHA!
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

well you can force your enemies to swallow the fire pill too.
Karl have you ever played Shadowgate? One of the funnest things to do in that game is to find out all the ways you could die (lets go swimming with the shark. :lol:)

edit: not everything in a game should go to gameplay. flavor is very important to a game.
Crying is not a proper retort!
Karl
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Shadowgate is an excellent game. I think the dying in that worked in part because because of the type of game it was--in an adventure game it's much more fun to be able to do something stupid and die then get an annoying, half-assed, handwaving, handicapping response like "you don't want to do that"--and also worked in part because of the save system--reloading a saved game was just a click away. (I think there was also an automatic "continue from last room" feature that worked pretty well unless you were low on torches.)
Betelgeuse wrote:flavor is very important to a game
Who doesn't want flavor in their meals? But canned deaths are like one bite of flavor... nifty but you have to design them into the game one by one.

But I guess alot of flavor is like that. Hmmm...
~
[Grabs a box of batteries.] The power is mine! MINE! Ah hahaha! AHHHH HAHAHA!
Charon Mass of Goo
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant
Location: Creating Inappropriate "Signature Dialouge" since yestermorrow!

What about a FPS adventure games? They may have very few ways of commiting suicide, but they can be very entertaining at times... even the occasional Text suicide.

"Enter Cave"

"You entered a cave and found a treasure box, open? Y/N"

"Y"

"ZOMG ZOH NOEZ YOU DIED! The box was full of flesh eating, rabid, zombie rabbits that were possibly increasing their numbers by chunks of flesh falling off their bodies, and they regenerate into whole zombie rabbits. Woah! Didjya see that!? They eat their wounded!"

or

"The cave entrance collapsed, you eat your limbs to keep from starving, you die alone and unloved. Your low self-esteem eats at your figurative innards and your last thought was 'Did I leave the oven on?'"
Charon Fizz-Soda! It's Red! It tastes like Awesomness! AND PIRATES MADE IT! Better than Eridani Mineral Water too!
OddBob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I mean, creative suicide in games is amusing for a few seconds, but it doesn't add much to gameplay. I'm much more interesting in being able to do things that you're not supposed to do that actually accomplish something.
It's not that someone sat down and said, hey, let's let the player kill themselves! That's a great feature! It's that they noticed that they had already implemented a feature (fire pills) that would technically allow the player to kill themselves (because items in game are usable on yourself) and then for the sake of completeness added that in too. That mean they thought about potential actions of players and
being able to do things that you're not supposed to do that actually accomplish something.
is much more likely.
Cardinal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

You can self-destruct in Transcendence.

But since we are talking creative I suggest that the first ship you can target as friendly should be the players ship---

My life is no longer worth living!

Fires IM90.

Dammit... installed Ion-reflect armour.

Ah well, looks like I'll have to discount suicide in favour of killing the rest of the known galaxy instead.
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.
Charon Mass of Goo
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Cardinal wrote:You can self-destruct in Transcendence.

But since we are talking creative I suggest that the first ship you can target as friendly should be the players ship---

Fires IM90.

Ah well, looks like I'll have to discount suicide in favour of killing the rest of the known galaxy instead.
God-ship + God-weapons + Super solar panel = Unstoppable, undockable, ownage machine.

My last game, I killed everything in my path until core, and then some O.o

I think I destroyed a stargate too... so I couldn't get back to St. K's
Charon Fizz-Soda! It's Red! It tastes like Awesomness! AND PIRATES MADE IT! Better than Eridani Mineral Water too!
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Charon Mass of Goo wrote:
Cardinal wrote:You can self-destruct in Transcendence.

Fires IM90.

God-ship + God-weapons + Super solar panel = Unstoppable, undockable, ownage machine.

My last game, I killed everything in my path until core, and then some O.o

I think I destroyed a stargate too... so I couldn't get back to St. K's
The IM90 is not that good. And you cannot destroy a Stargate, and solar panels are not that good with the really good weapons.
Charon Mass of Goo
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

You got me with the stargate part... I must've just missed it. And yes, with one of the mods there is a "Alien Solar Panel" and it can recharge the Ten GW engine that the mod comes with in five seconds... tops.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Charon Mass of Goo wrote:You got me with the stargate part... I must've just missed it. And yes, with one of the mods there is a "Alien Solar Panel" and it can recharge the Ten GW engine that the mod comes with in five seconds... tops.

Ah, a mod.
Charon Mass of Goo
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

A good one too, I've made several variations using Dvenk6's images of large ships.

BTW, I might modify that mod to fix several things I think that it is lacking... I'm having trouble finding who made the mod in the first place. it was the one with the Ranx Drednought and the Challenge Auton (Two god-ships going at it as I recall)
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Charon Mass of Goo wrote:A good one too, I've made several variations using Dvenk6's images of large ships.

BTW, I might modify that mod to fix several things I think that it is lacking... I'm having trouble finding who made the mod in the first place. it was the one with the Ranx Drednought and the Challenge Auton (Two god-ships going at it as I recall)

Did you check out the mod site?
Charon Mass of Goo
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Ttech wrote:
Charon Mass of Goo wrote:A good one too, I've made several variations using Dvenk6's images of large ships.

which one?
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Charon Mass of Goo wrote:
Ttech wrote:

which one?

Tehre is only one