games I'm looking forward to play in the future Thread :)

A subforum to talk about gaming, new blockbusters and cool indie games.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

There are a number of big space related games that will come out soon (soonish) that I'm looking forward to see/play:

Chris Roberts' Star Citizen (same guy of Wing Commander and Starlancer)
It's a first person space combat and trading in a massively multiplayer persistent universe with also a single player campaign.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Citizen

David Braben's Elite 4 (same guy that invented the original Elite and Raspberry pi)
It's basically Elite, just made today :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_Dangerous

Do you guys have anything that is coming out in 2014 that are really interested in ?
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

YES!!
Transcendence ..... But you knew that already :)
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
pixelfck
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

@digdug

Did you play the original Elite series if so, was it good? I tried reading up on it, but couldn't any decent articles (I didn't put a whole lot of effort into searching for one though).

Cheers,
Pixeflck
Download the Black Market Expansion from Xelerus.de today!
My other mods at xelerus.de
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

pixelfck wrote:@digdug

Did you play the original Elite series if so, was it good? I tried reading up on it, but couldn't any decent articles (I didn't put a whole lot of effort into searching for one though).

Cheers,
Pixeflck

Elite was absolutely groundbreaking in its day. If you want to try a somewhat more polished version that doesn't require a tapedeck and a BBC Micro, try out Oolite, a fan remake of the game (it's highly moddable as well).

Frontier: Elite II was a very different beast. Newtonian flight mechanics, different ships, and rounded polygons (which was...quite a big deal at the time). Also you could land on planets, although if you didn't buy atmospheric shielding this wasn't a good thing to try. It's a classic game in its own right, although I've never been able to play it. Notorious for being rushed out the door early though...this thing was pretty buggy when it came out, and even the patched versions you can find online (although you'll need an Amiga emulator to play a lot of them. Don't bother with the DOS version, it's even uglier and has worse music quality).

Frontier: Final Encounters was a sequel to the original Frontier, and was basically more of the same. Unfortunately, this game was seriously screwed over by its publisher. Frustrated with the delays in development, the publisher shipped an alpha/beta test version that they'd been given, saying it was the finished product. This lead to a lawsuit (which I think Braben & Co. won), and the end of the Elite franchise until Dangerous came around. This game does have an active fan community still, and some enterprising chaps actually ported it to more modern software systems to allow it to run on a modern OS and take better graphics.

Dangerous seems to be far more a sequel to Elite than to Frontier, although some of the ships (Eg. the Eagle fighter) come from Frontier. It does look pretty awesome though....hopefully they take the good things from all the games. I'd beta-test the hell out of it....were it not so expensive. But I'll probably get it on launch.

-----------------------

Anyway. The games I'm looking forward to (no URLs, it's late at night and I need to sleep):

-Elite Dangerous. Of course.
-More updates to Prison Architect (already "out" since 2012, but it's an alpha still)
-Likewise, Kerbal Space Program. Major updates to this are basically new games in their own right, with the amount of stuff that changes.
-A Hat in Time (just entered Alpha, looks like a nice platformer)
-No Man's Sky (although given the hype train for this one, I'm gonna be holding off buying it until I know what others think of it having actually played it)
-INFRA. A first person game about crumbling infrastructure where you play as a an analyst/engineer with a camera. The dev team for this game has gone silent for months, but were aiming for a release late this year. Hopefully they can pull it off, because the game looks awesome.
-Grim Fandango. Grim Fandango. Also Grim Fandango. While it's unlikely this will actually come to the PC in '14, it'll be a nice thing for next year. I've been wanting to get my hands on this for years, and learning that Double Fine have finally been able to get a remastered version under construction has been awesome.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
StealthX051
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Yeah! Go Kerbal Space Program.