d20 roguelike: Incursion

A subforum to talk about gaming, new blockbusters and cool indie games.
Cardinal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

http://www.incursion-roguelike.org/

Still new and unfinished, but I think a few Transcendence players might like to know of its existence.

My Paladin2/Monk2/WizardX kicks so much ass.
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.
hex
Miner
Miner

Thanks for sharing :D I'm having fun despite the fact I've only just managed to get past the first floor.
Hmm...
Cardinal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Its extremely buggy and incomplete at the moment, but still enjoyable. I look forward to seeing it developed further. I must confess, I stopped playing it after a couple of sessions and turned my attention back to Transcendence.
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.
Burzmali
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Leveraging the power of computers to implement the blandest PnP RPG system in recent memory, brilliant :roll:
Boris the Cat
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Bland, yes. But it is excellently suited for conversion to the digital medium. At least, the rules are.
Burzmali
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

So are the rules of tic-tac-toe, but I wouldn't use those as the foundation of a computer RPG.
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Burzmali wrote:So are the rules of tic-tac-toe, but I wouldn't use those as the foundation of a computer RPG.
Could you link to some of the RPG games that you have made, Burzmali?
Free ones, preferably.
Thanks.
"War is hell."
-William Tecumseh Sherman
http://dvlenk6.blackraven3d.com/transgals.html
Cardinal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

d20 mechanics are realitively easy to understand and learn. Heck, you can look the rules up for free by going to the www.wizards.com website and checking out the SRD.

I find with some roguelikes and computer rpgs (I don't feel that they are really the same thing, although sometimes they overlap), the rules are difficult to grasp, or perhaps impossible to learn, and that has a negative impact on survivability and constructing an effective character
Burzmali
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

dvlenk6 wrote:
Burzmali wrote:So are the rules of tic-tac-toe, but I wouldn't use those as the foundation of a computer RPG.
Could you link to some of the RPG games that you have made, Burzmali?
Free ones, preferably.
Thanks.
Sadly, none of the RPGs I have helped with are free, though if you happen to own enough SJ Games, I can point my name out to you. Sadly I doubt "playtester" is a high enough accolade for you...

However, one does not need to be a game designer to comment on which game mechanisms are good or bad. For example, in this case, the game's design complains that roguelike create ridiculous situations where every character seems to be "wearing a ring of regeneration". In D20, if memory serves, once a character reachs a certain number hitpoints, they have a reasonably high chance on surviving reentry naked.

The root problem is that a roguelike involves far more rolling and far less role-playing than a PnP system. Therefore, all the flaws that can be glossed over with role-playing are painfully obvious in a roguelike implementation.
Boris the Cat
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Hmmm, fun game, though I was not very fond of being vaporised by a silver dragon whilst I was still on the first level.
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Bruzmali
Actually, I had thought that you had made some RPG games and was wondering if you had links to any of them, or if any of them were free.
"War is hell."
Burzmali
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

dvlenk6 wrote:Bruzmali
Actually, I had thought that you had made some RPG games and was wondering if you had links to any of them, or if any of them were free.
Sadly every RPG of my own I have started ends up as a dozen class files solidly completing a single aspect of the game, and leaving me dreading writing any more :wink:

But on the topic of computer RPGs, I have always been more partial to the GURPS system. Toss the Class/Level system and implement an attribute level + skill level + modifier system.
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I actually prefer strategy-based comp. games more than RPG.
Strat./RPG hybrids are fun too.
I'm an old clunker that likes the hex map turned based games. :lol:

I did play some RPGs that were fun though. Most of the ones I liked the best were 1st person dungeon crawlers; cause those are very immersive to me.
"War is hell."
OddBob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I'm an old clunker that likes the hex map turned based games.
Are there any hex-based turn based RPGs or are you referring to wargames?

I'd love to find some good turn based RPGs that use a hex grid instead of a square one.
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

No hex RPGs that I know of. They are all combat games.
Some of them have a little level-based RPG worked in. The commanders are unique characters, the troops are generic but might have levels too.
Master of Magic or Fantasy General are good examples of what I mean.
"War is hell."