Frontier Download Link

Talk about anything not related to Transcendence.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:44 pm

Because all direct links to it have long since died, I made this thread to link the .zip of Frontier.

Link to .zip

Archive of splash page

JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:32 pm

Some things I've noticed so far:

- Systems are fundamentally unique, and play differently. My second system was described as a mining area, and was populated by a ton of illegal miners that fled upon encountering me, allowing me to loot everything they couldn't take with them. Of course, I chased them down and killed them anyways, but the great difference in how stations behave would work well in Transcendence if implemented.

- Early game loot is a lot more unique. You aren't going to consistently find the same things in the first system.

- A lot of the loot seems like it would have a use, but I don't know what that use would be. If it's just trade goods with flavor text, the flavor text does its job.

- The armor damage limits are back. You can't repair armor that's damaged beyond a certain point.

- Damaged items sell much more easily.

- Illegal items aren't confiscated, but most stations won't buy them. I haven't figured out where to sell them yet, but given the ease of avoiding customs in Transcendence, I prefer this system.

- Exhausting an enemy's ammo supply still works, but every enemy I've encountered also has a non - ammo weapon, and tracking missiles show up a lot earlier.

- Item stats aren't displayed. This is truer to roguelike design, but makes buying items without knowing what they do a lot riskier for new players.

- Hiding on stations isn't as viable. Guards aren't aggressive, and most station designs have gaps that let enemies shoot you through them.

- A lot of enemies have randomly selected leveled equipment. You never really know what you're going to end up with when you take on an enemy ship. This also makes pirates feel more realistic.

- Stopping is easier due to the 8 - facing system. There's a lot less guesswork involved, which mitigates the harm of the '.' key not being there.

- The game features a lot of mechanics that Transcendence doesn't have. Some ships cloak and deploy drones.

I eventually died to a freighter with a close range tracking weapon because I forgot to repair my armor. I had a great deal of money, but I haven't yet figured out how to spend it. As in Transcendence, quality armor is a good investment, but high repair costs and low armor health make shields both viable as a defensive strategy and vital even if you have good armor. You won't be turning them off.

I'm considering the possibility of loading the game in something that can save the program's state, jury - rigging a save system out of that. Will update with success if any.

Update: Theoretically, this can be done using a virtual machine. I will update when I acquire one.

shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:33 pm

I didn't know anybody else was interested in it.

I have it on my google drive, as an unpacked folder with the zip / game inside .
Among other Transcendence stuff.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..

JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:54 pm

shanejfilomena wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:33 pm
I didn't know anybody else was interested in it.

I have it on my google drive, as an unpacked folder with the zip / game inside .
Among other Transcendence stuff.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
It's still up! Check the link in the top post.

shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:02 am

yes, I know the link is up at the posted location, I was " just sayin' "
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..

JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:23 am

shanejfilomena wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:02 am
yes, I know the link is up at the posted location, I was " just sayin' "
Cool. I'm busy with some projects for the time being, but I'll be sure to let you know if/when I figure out how to save.