Out for good

Talk about anything not related to Transcendence.
Kamikaze
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

It IS free.

It is under development. Soo.. Some things aren't done.

True, some things can't be added. But most of those things would take away from the spirit of the game.

Whatever.

See ya!
I never said I was sane.

I said I was perfectly insane.
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

hmm I don't like the idea of Transcendence becoming "free" software.
I don't see how allowing people to distribute viruses under your name or just sell your hard work for a profit is a good thing.
I don't mind more open licenses but I think he has the right to keep some control over what he has made.
Crying is not a proper retort!
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Sorry to see you go--you've definitely contributed a lot to the community.

If you ever wish to come back, you'll be welcome.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

See ya PMN! Hope to see you for 1.0 (or the next version whatever that is).

Betelgeuse, while I may not be as open-source as PMN, you are wrong about free software.

The GPL (the most popular open source license) does not allow anyone to sell work (support is really the only thing you can sell, which doesn't make sense for a game) for a profit. Well...Technically you can sell the first copy and each successive upgrade/patch, but then the program is out.

The way the license is worded it is impossible for anyone but the creator to license the program under another set of terms.

The creator keeps control over his/her work by accepting and rejecting changes to the mainline program. It is possible for someone to make a popular fork (see nethack), but the mainline program remains intact.

Finally, it is possible to take any program and distribute a virus with it, so that is just FUD (not meaning disrespectfully). The creator can keep viruses off the mainline release so anyone that downloads from the official site should be virus-free.
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I know about GPL license. What PMN was advocating was something different. It allowed the alteration and sale of the software free of any say of the creator.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind open source for transcendence but I would still want final say to be George's or whoever he gives it too.
Crying is not a proper retort!
Cardinal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I'm giving it a break too, I've got too much on my plate and Transcendence is a very involving game (I tend to play something to death and lose interest in saved games...)

I'm not gone though, just busy, and waiting for further versions to come out. I think the game at the moment plays really nicely, but urgently needs a stack more missions to keep long-term players engaged.
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.
Desolator
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Surprise attack!
I'm back!