I would be making more mods, except-

Talk about anything not related to Transcendence.
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I am developing my own games.

That's right. And I am hoping soon to be ready to share with the good folks here at transcendence forums and get your opinion. (Specifically yours, George.)

I have always wanted to make games, and modding various games over the years has been a form of practice for me.

One of the hang ups that I had had was that I develop in Flash (Astro) for websites and flash didn't have a good way to talk to a php server.

That issue was resolved with the release of the AMF service for the Zend Framework, which allows me to communicate easily between a flash player client (user's game view) and a game server running php. (Zend and Adobe now consider this the officially supported way to go, which is good)

So if you are wondering why I have been so quiet lately, it's because I am designing and developing a game to test the server to flash communication and see how it will handle on a production server. This implementation is a brand new thing for PHP/Flash games, and I am hoping to be one of the first to release a quality multiplayer browser game in flash using a php backend to run things.

I might take a break and finish up a few small transcendence mods once in a while, but admittedly it's rather fun to build games and so I rarely take a break.
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

sounds very cool Periculi. Haven't tried many flash games myself but would be open to a good one.
Crying is not a proper retort!
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Actually, flash is just the client side application. php5 on a LAMP set up is the actual game engine.

As for good, well that's a matter of opinion. I am hoping for some good results. :)
Mutos
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Hi Periculi,

Good news to hear from you ! And better news to hear that you're at last into full game dev ! Hope you'll succeed, the Flash/PHP concept seems good, now I suppose you'll no more discuss what kind of game it is. We'll wait for it to be in beta ^-^

Keep up the good work !
@+

Benoît 'Mutos' ROBIN
Hoshikaze 2250 Project
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Over the years I have written up several game ideas, and I still think that 3 or 4 of them are worthy of developing as I haven't found anything completely similar yet.

My first game is an easy one. I am abstracting 'stacking' combat (from such games as Unification Wars, oGame, and other empire builders that use unit stacking combat systems) into a set of symbols and arenas.

For example, Rock Paper Scissors is the simplest 'stacking' combat- 2 combatants chose a single symbol to represent the attack from a set of 3. The symbols are compared according to a set rule for which defeats which. This game creates a win, draw, or loss result by it's rules.

Further complexity in the symbol system creates new combat routines- such as stacking 3 symbols rather than one. And so on, up until you have an empire strategy builder with hundreds of symbols (buildings, units, resources, etc.) and a large array of combat outcomes.

The players earn and collect the various symbol types in a variety of stacking combat arenas, and can import and export symbols into other arenas. Each arena defines the symbols as units to play with, and makes use of a community defined rule system- players can propose and vote on rule changes.

The goal of this game is provide a simple 'coffee break' game that players can also obsess over, and I like stacking combat systems- they are fun to design and play around with.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

wow! sounds very good ! Thanks for sharing this with us, Periculi. :D
Mutos
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Hi Periculi,

Very nice concept ! Flexible and adaptable enough to make a great game. I'm eager to see what comes out of that !
@+

Benoît 'Mutos' ROBIN
Hoshikaze 2250 Project