Traveling At the Speed of Light

Talk about anything not related to Transcendence.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Wolfy, you're slightly overestimating the danger of antimatter engines.
Bobby, you're dramatically underestimating the danger of all other engines.

NSWR will kill everything behind you very dead. Fusion drives will kill everything behind you very dead. About the only drive in Transcendence that isn't a weapon of mass destruction to the rear is the inertialess drive. And it's a planet cracker if you ram your ship into one.

Any interesting space drive is a weapon of mass destruction.
Dalva
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Wolfy wrote:
Ttech wrote:
Wolfy wrote:
schilcote wrote:
Aeonic wrote:Antimatter propulsion would also kill everything in its wake, which is hard to emulate in-game. :)
WRONG!

Check out Bobby's Afterburner.

Also, I don't think antimatter would do that any more than a normal rocket would, all the antimatter is being used up in the drive.
Yes it would, not antimatter damage, but the fact that its producing way more energy than a normal chem drive would still makes it very dangrous to stand around...
So you would be green and possibly growing extra arms, what's the harm?
Ok, I meant more of the extreme levels of energy burning you into a crisp more of a thing, but it does output high levels of radiation too.
mhmkay... you guys are real astrophysicist or just a wiki-referrer?
and i never know that antimatter-matter collision will create radiation.
Atarlost wrote:Wolfy, you're slightly overestimating the danger of antimatter engines.
Bobby, you're dramatically underestimating the danger of all other engines.

NSWR will kill everything behind you very dead. Fusion drives will kill everything behind you very dead. About the only drive in Transcendence that isn't a weapon of mass destruction to the rear is the inertialess drive. And it's a planet cracker if you ram your ship into one.
El-O-El! (LOL)
schilcote
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Dalva wrote:
Wolfy wrote:
Ttech wrote:
Wolfy wrote:
schilcote wrote:
Aeonic wrote:Antimatter propulsion would also kill everything in its wake, which is hard to emulate in-game. :)
WRONG!

Check out Bobby's Afterburner.

Also, I don't think antimatter would do that any more than a normal rocket would, all the antimatter is being used up in the drive.
Yes it would, not antimatter damage, but the fact that its producing way more energy than a normal chem drive would still makes it very dangrous to stand around...
So you would be green and possibly growing extra arms, what's the harm?
Ok, I meant more of the extreme levels of energy burning you into a crisp more of a thing, but it does output high levels of radiation too.
mhmkay... you guys are real astrophysicist or just a wiki-referrer?
and i never know that antimatter-matter collision will create radiation.
I am a quantum physicist, an astrophysicist, a nuclear physicsist, a roboticist, and a computer programmer. Intellectually, I pwn.
[schilcote] It doesn't have to be good, it just has to not be "wow is that the only thing you could think of" bad
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I've seen your technobabble. You might be a real programmer.
schilcote
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Well, I'm an ametuer, but still, I know more about those subjects than most pepole. I am a very good programmer, I have genetic algorithms to prove it (they don't quite[/1] work, but they're close). I know enough about atomic physics to construct a simple explosive, which is much more than most pepole do.
[schilcote] It doesn't have to be good, it just has to not be "wow is that the only thing you could think of" bad
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Any reasonably educated person knows how to construct a simple nuke. It's the enrichment that's the hard part and that's engineering.

So, yes, you know more than an illiterate African tribesman or an illiterate migrant farmworker or a high school dropout or an English major. That's not very much.
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

Pfft... the concept behind atomic weaponry is so simple a 5-year old could figure it out... (well at least I did at that age - after all, that is the age at when I was taught the underlying concepts :P)

Same goes for dual-layer dvds (though it was CD's back at the time when I had the idea)... I could I been so rich! D:

You do seem like a talented programmer though ^^

still, lets try plopping you out in the wilderness for a few weeks...
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
Dalva
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

schilcote wrote:...I know enough about atomic physics to construct a simple explosive...
just say "chemistry". no need for "atomic physics" stuff...
and i think everybody can make an explosive. references are everywhere.
schilcote
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Dalva wrote:
schilcote wrote:...I know enough about atomic physics to construct a simple explosive...
NUCLEAR explosive. 5-6 megaton difference. But I can also make smaller things like C4.

Well, the only thing anybody can be absolutely sure of is the programming skill, so let's stick to that.

!skill [=75,schilcote,programming]

Knoweldge is composed of two things: memory, and understanding. Understanding I have plenty of. Memory I am completely lacking in. Just because I can't remember the equations that drive these advanced sciences dosn't mean I can't understand them. If I had my computer and Wikipedia at my disposal, I could solve just about any problem.

Not to mention that all this is off topic anyway.
Dalva
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

schilcote wrote:
Dalva wrote:
NUCLEAR explosive. 5-6 megaton difference. But I can also make smaller things like C4.

Well, the only thing anybody can be absolutely sure of is the programming skill, so let's stick to that.

!skill [=75,schilcote,programming]

Knoweldge is composed of two things: memory, and understanding. Understanding I have plenty of. Memory I am completely lacking in. Just because I can't remember the equations that drive these advanced sciences dosn't mean I can't understand them. If I had my computer and Wikipedia at my disposal, I could solve just about any problem.

Not to mention that all this is off topic anyway.
but you said "...a simple explosive..."
LOL nuclear explosive is NOT a simple explosive!
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

On the contraty, there is no explosive simpler than a gun type nuke.
schilcote
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Atarlost wrote:On the contraty, there is no explosive simpler than a gun type nuke.
Yeah, pretty much. Just two big chunks of fissile material and a way of keeping them apart untill you want to blow something up.