Scientists make lift.....from light.

Talk about anything not related to Transcendence.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

This....is amazingly clever.

All the more so, given how obvious it seems in hindsight.

Basically: Scientists have made an aerofoil analogue that uses light, rather than air.

The physics of the previous statement are all wrong, but that was a "basic" equivalent that won't drive away any normal people who may, by chance, have accidentally clicked into this post.

The possibilities are pretty great.....you could in theory use these things to power a nanomachine, or improve a solar sail considerably...among other things.

Above all though, it's just plain cool. :twisted:
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

One of the most researched thing in nanotechnology is to make a nano-device move in 1 direction only, overcoming Brownian motions. In simple terms: make the nano-device do "work".

It's a very impressive paper, based on already known physics of light.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

digdug wrote:One of the most researched thing in nanotechnology is to make a nano-device move in 1 direction only, overcoming Brownian motions. In simple terms: make the nano-device do "work".

It's a very impressive paper, based on already known physics of light.
Exactly...taking something you know, and doing the obvious thing with it.

No wonder no one thought of doing if previously. :P
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Jeoshua
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I always did love the idea of "sailing" through space. JAXA already has demonstrated the practical application of solar sails with their Ikaros probe.

I love it so much I have actually run a pen and paper RPG of a new "age of sail" in the 25th century. It was awesome, but I ran into a problem with one of my players doubting the entire framework of solar sailing. Surprisingly, he had no trouble accepting artificial gravity. Go figure.