Proof of string theory/multiple universes ?

Talk about anything not related to Transcendence.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg1 ... verse.html

In 2006, Mersini-Houghton with collaborators predicted a series of observational imprints that would support a multiverse theory: multiple universes.

Recent analysis of WMAP data seems to support this theory: there is a giant hole in the universe in the direction of the Eridanus constellation: the largest supervoid known measuring around 1 billion light years of diameter.
From Wikipedia: It was discovered by linking a "cold spot" in the cosmic microwave background to an absence of radio galaxies in data of the US National Radio Astronomy Observatory's Very Large Array Sky Survey. There is some speculation that the void may be due to quantum entanglement between our universe and another.

More to read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eridanus_% ... #Supervoid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WMAP_cold_spot
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Location: Researching how to make St. Kats star go supernova.

There is some speculation that the void may be due to quantum entanglement between our universe and another.
I do support this theory, but speculation is by no means proof. For absolute proof someone would have have to either go to a parallel universe or see someone come over from a parallel universe. Or a probe would do. The only way to prove the parallel universe exists is for mass or enough photons pass through the entanglement to have a clear image recorded. Something would have to come over. There is no proof anything exists unless it is observed through one of the five senses. (I'm not paranoid by the way, I'm speaking bare evidence 'I think therefore I am'. ) I do think there must be multiple universes, but there speculation is not proof. The quantum entanglement could just be a natural phenomenon, such as undiscovered elements or forms of matter.
Play in over 100 systems in a network. Play the 2011 Mod Of the Year
and the highest rated mod on Xelerus, The Network.
Play the July Mod of the Month, Fellow Pilgrims!
Play My other mods as well
(Drako Slyith)* I am a person
(Eliza chatbot)> Do you believe it is normal to be a person?
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I love the idea of parellel universes!
My favourite tv show is J.J. Abrams' FRINGE. :D

It boggles the mind - first to consider that there is a large solar system outside of earth, then an entire galaxy of solar system, then a universe of galaxies and then multiple universes. :shock:
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I see a major influx in books about alternate universes!
This is an amazing find, well, its facinating. I love all this stuff on alternate worlds and stuff, but when you really start to think abut it gets quite confusing.
Last edited by Ttech on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Next up:

Time is a joke, a trick of perception!
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

alterecco wrote:Next up:

Time is a joke, a trick of perception!
it is a joke.
Prophet
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

But does time have a force -carrying particle or is it simply wasted energy radiated from the higgs boson as it decays?

There have been as many theories about multiple universes, parallel universes and every possible combination in between for millenia. Direct observation would most likely not be physically possible but I would settle for a nice mathematical model.
Coming soon: The Syrtian War adventure mod!
A Turret defense genre mod exploring the worst era in Earth's history.
Can you defend the Earth from the Syrtian invaders?
Stay tuned for updates!
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Prophet wrote:But does time have a force -carrying particle or is it simply wasted energy radiated from the higgs boson as it decays?

There have been as many theories about multiple universes, parallel universes and every possible combination in between for millenia. Direct observation would most likely not be physically possible but I would settle for a nice mathematical model.
But if the LHC finds the higgs boson, the we would have a new universe and even stranger one.
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Ttech wrote:
Prophet wrote:But does time have a force -carrying particle or is it simply wasted energy radiated from the higgs boson as it decays?

But if the LHC finds the higgs boson, the we would have a new universe and even stranger one.
Not necessarily. That is purely theoretical.

By the way I've been thinking and found proof against the every eventuality multi-verse. If there is a universe with every eventuality, then there would be a group of universes where there is a gateway to our universe. Then, if every eventuality were to happen, then there would be a group of those universes that unleashed a wave of death into our universe and killed us. Therefore because we are alive, a universe cannot exist for each eventuality.
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Drako Slyith wrote: By the way I've been thinking and found proof against the every eventuality multi-verse. If there is a universe with every eventuality, then there would be a group of universes where there is a gateway to our universe. Then, if every eventuality were to happen, then there would be a group of those universes that unleashed a wave of death into our universe and killed us. Therefore because we are alive, a universe cannot exist for each eventuality.
http://xkcd.com/716/

Perhaps we populate the eventuality where this does not take place?:D

I think the idea of all eventualities existing simultaneously is kind of silly. It is probably more like all coherent and logical (basically, apply a survivability function) eventualities that exist. Something that is apt to destroy itself and all other eventualities would quickly get pruned, just like in nature.
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Except the guy would never create the time machine so he could not go back and stop himself from creating the time machine so he would create the time machine so the guy would go back and stop him from creating the time machine, so the guy would never create the time machine so he could not go back and stop himself from creating the time machine so he would create the time machine so the guy would go back and stop him from creating the time machine, so the guy would never create the time machine so he could not go back and stop himself from creating the time machine so he would create the time machine so the guy would go back and stop him from creating the time machine, so the guy would never create the time machine so he could not go back and stop himself from creating the time machine so he would create the time machine so the guy would go back and stop him from creating the time machine, so the guy would never create the time machine so he could not go back and stop himself from creating the time machine so he would create the time machine so the guy would go back and stop him from creating the time machine, so the guy would never create the time machine so he could not go back and stop himself from creating the time machine so he would create the time machine so the guy would go back and stop him from creating the time machine, so the guy would never create the time machine so he could not go back and stop himself from creating the time machine so he would create the time machine so the guy would go back and stop him from creating the time machine, so the guy would never create the time machine so he could not go back and stop himself from creating the time machine so he would create the time machine so the guy would go back and stop him from creating the time machine, so he would so he could not go back and stop himself from creating the time machine...

Anyway, the universe is not selective. The theory of the multi-verse is not that anything can happen, its that everything does happen. The wave would hit every universe.
Last edited by Drako Slyith on Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The thing that actually stopped him from creating the time machine to stop the universe from existing was butting a bit of angel food cake on a tray and magnifying it to the size of the universe. Thus showing now insignificant it all was.
Prophet
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I don't think the Eridanus supervoid is proof of the many-worlds theory, in which, each possible universe occupies the same space and time as ours but parallel in an alternate 'dimension'.

Alternatively, I view this discovery as further proof that our universe is not unique, that the big-bang is a recurring event and there exists other co-universes in our multiverse, just as there are multiple galaxies.

Either way, it's an exciting observation that has spurred much speculation regarding the true state of reality and will hopefully lead to a better understanding of this soap-bubble soup we live in.
Coming soon: The Syrtian War adventure mod!
A Turret defense genre mod exploring the worst era in Earth's history.
Can you defend the Earth from the Syrtian invaders?
Stay tuned for updates!
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Prophet wrote:I don't think the Eridanus supervoid is proof of the many-worlds theory, in which, each possible universe occupies the same space and time as ours but parallel in an alternate 'dimension'.

Alternatively, I view this discovery as further proof that our universe is not unique, that the big-bang is a recurring event and there exists other co-universes in our multiverse, just as there are multiple galaxies.

Either way, it's an exciting observation that has spurred much speculation regarding the true state of reality and will hopefully lead to a better understanding of this soap-bubble soup we live in.
I don't see how it could represent a alternate universe, but I'm a scientist. So I don't really know.
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Personally, I do not believe in the big bang for several reasons.
1. Telescopes have gotten to the point that they are limited to how much light has reached Earth. They can't see some things because the light hasn't had time to reach earth. Therefore, the very verge of what we see would be the instant that time started. We should be able to see the wave of gasses expanding. But we don't.
2. The only solution for the above reason is that it would have to travel past the speed of light, which incidentally is part of the theory. That would be well and good if science didn't prove that mass cannot travel past the speed of light. The mass would reach infinite, and require infinite energy to move it, which would again repeat the process leading to the mass equaling infinite to the infinite power. Mass can't be moved past the speed of light, to sum it up.
3. The theory states that two particles traveling past the speed of light (see above) and impact, creating an explosion that created a super dense star that then went supernova and shot gasses across the cosmos which then somehow condensed into planets and stars. If the big bang was caused by two particles hitting each other, why hasn't it happened again in our universe?
3.b. Mass cannot be created or destroyed, as the big bang theory says is what happened when the two particles hit each other.
3.c. If you say the mass was already there, where was it? If it was in the particles they would become black holes and swallow each other.
3.d. If you say it was scattered, how was it gathered into an explosion?
4. Where did the mass in 3. come from? Science states that all things have a beginning and an end. So where did the universe begin?

The big bang theory is a theory created to fit as many requirements as possible, and keep science in the mix. The simple truth is that science cannot explain everything.