Zero point energy

Talk about anything not related to Transcendence.
Harbringer
Miner
Miner

There was a really nice idea in Stargate: Atlantis.
The ancients were using Zero-point modules for power-hungry devices - however they couldn't draw out energy from their dimension, obivously, so they created a new "layer"(????????) of subspace and started drawing energy out of it with the ZPM till it reached the state of Complete Entropy.
At least, that's what they said in it, as far as i can decipher, since i'm not a techie...

Here's a better explanation & more info on it:
Zero-point energy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_point_energy
ZPM (Zee-Pee-Emm/Zed-P-M)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_Point ... int_Module
Yay. I have an internet connection again.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Split topic, the other was from 2006.

Zero Point Energy is indeed interesting, personally I first thought about it from Stargate Atlantis, but the power it would release would likely power much more then one lost city. :)
Harbringer
Miner
Miner

Well, powering an indestructible shield probably needs a LOT of energy.
Powering drives that can lift an Ancient city-ship propably needs a LOT of energy.
Then, there's the hyperspace drive that likely needs a LOT of power to cross several millions of lightyears in a mere few hours...
Then, here's wikipedia's info on the Drone Weapon...

"An extremely powerful projectile weapon, shaped like a meter-long squid, capable of autonomously targeting and destroying its target, even if it is moving extremely fast. These are the Ancient's main type of weapon. In the Pegasus Galaxy, drones are rare in the aftermath of the loss of the Ancients' war against the Wraith. Only a few dozen remained in Atlantis, which were used up during the siege by the Wraith. A larger supply is found in another city ship, which is later used to replenish Atlantis' armory. They are also found on Puddle Jumpers and Aurora class battleships. The Asurans also use drones. In the Milky Way, thousands of drones have been discovered in Ancient outposts such as the Antarctica outpost. Drones are partially intelligent weapons that are capable of seeking, tracking, and engaging targets on their own accord. They are normally controlled by an Ancient Control Chair that reads the operator's mind and can send thousands of drones swarming to attack an entire fleet at once. They appear to be guided by a central control system using various available sensors, and can be controlled either by continuous operator control or in a fire-and-forget manner. Aurora-class ships have a dedicated control chair for the drones, with the second meant to fly the ship.

An active drone is enveloped in a bright yellow glow. Drones fired from a control chair require a ZPM for normal operation, though a Mark II Naqahdah generator set on a controlled overload can provide the necessary power (but will fail after three uses). Drones require an outside power source, and will shut down in mid-flight if this power source is disabled. A drone was observed causing a relatively small explosion on impact, while a swarm enveloped a Kull warrior while on its way from Anubis' attacking fleet. Conversely, two Drone Weapons are enough to completely destroy a Goa'uld Ha'tak if it hits a critical spot and a single drone can seriously damage a Wraith cruiser. Drones have the ability to shield itself from impact with matter to a certain degree, allowing them to literally tunnel through larger enemies such as ships before returning to detonate. Drones have also been observed passing through ships, with unused ones heading back to their launch site, and can be used under water.

There is a smaller variant called mini-drones. It is theorized that the mini-drones are used to guard certain areas against people without the ancient gene, as was the case on queen Harmony's planet where only the wearer of a special ancient "key" (pendant) can control the mini-drones from the "test site" where the Ancients developed mini-drone technology, which was perfected in Pegasus while the normal sized drones were invented in the Milky Way."

I'd like to point out the following: "Drones have the ability to shield itself from impact with matter to a certain degree, allowing them to literally tunnel through larger enemies such as ships before returning to detonate...".

I just LOVE those things! :D
Attachments
Pic of a Drone weapon from Wikipedia.
Pic of a Drone weapon from Wikipedia.
220px-Rising038.jpg (11.44 KiB) Viewed 2360 times
Yay. I have an internet connection again.