Galactic-Scale Energy and the Iocrym QZ

Talk about anything not related to Transcendence.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I recently read a very well written article in physics that estimates the necessary energy to sustain the human energy consumption rate trend.
http://physics.ucsd.edu/do-the-math/201 ... le-energy/

In short the human energy consumption rate has an annual growth rate of 2.9%
Such an exponential growth is immense, it's more than a factor of 10 every 100 years.

It implies that humans will need to harvest all the solar enegy arriving on the Earth surface in 400 years (at the impossible level of 100% efficiency). In 1350 years humans will consume an equivalent of all the energy generated by the sun (and collected by a Dyson sphere device?) and in 2500 years an energy equivalent of all the stars of the galaxy !

Now, let's switch to the Transcendence universe: you are the Iocrym civilization, for million of years you travelled in the Milky Way, you abhor chaos, you kept balance/uniformity/stability in the galaxy, you even limited your own technology to mantain this stability. You see young planets develop and a new intelligent species arising from them. One of those has a monstruos developing rate that will soon engulf the whole galaxy in a few millenia. Wouldn't you quarantine them ?
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Heh, that is a nice find. Indeed, we would probably be quarantined...

From my long time enslavement by the Iocrym I have come to respect them... perhaps we can learn something from their restraint :P
Get your own Galactic Omni Device
Get it now. It's free!!
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

thanks for your answer alterecco :)

I just wanted to point out that I understand that for now we only see 1/3 of the whole story (of Transcedence), however I like to speculate that the Iocrym are not evil nor good opponent in Part I, and who knows, maybe in Part II they could even become allies with the player.