Vaguely similar game

Talk about anything not related to Transcendence.
Vachtra
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Does anyone remember a vaguely similar game to Transcendence from somewhere from the early to late 90's?
It starts you out in a ship collecting items. Eventually you find out that you need to go to an area where you need a better drive to reach it and a cloaking device so they don't blow you up.
You then find out that you are being held in a force field by aliens and find a way to escape.
The game ends there as it's a demo version and I don't know if a full version was ever made.
Note: The drive has limited fuel and you can only make it one way. There's no turning back unless you want to wait what seemed like hours to get there.

Is this possibly where some of the ideas for Transcendence came from? It had a similar feel.
"Have you guys ever watched the show?" ~ Guy
mistere
Miner
Miner

Vachtra wrote:Does anyone remember a vaguely similar game to Transcendence from somewhere from the early to late 90's?
It starts you out in a ship collecting items. Eventually you find out that you need to go to an area where you need a better drive to reach it and a cloaking device so they don't blow you up.
You then find out that you are being held in a force field by aliens and find a way to escape.
The game ends there as it's a demo version and I don't know if a full version was ever made.
Note: The drive has limited fuel and you can only make it one way. There's no turning back unless you want to wait what seemed like hours to get there.

Is this possibly where some of the ideas for Transcendence came from? It had a similar feel.

Beats me- there's a lot of space trading, space combat, space rpg games that have elements in common with trans.

I remember Ascendancy being one of the best, similar 90s games in the genre.
sdw195
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

escape.... something maybe :?:
"Dash_Merc - George is a genius, in that he created this game engine that is infinitely extendable"
"<@sheepluva>Good night everybody, may the source be with you." <-- FOSG dev
"You only need THREE tools in life - WD-40 to make things go, Duct Tape to make things stop And C-4 to make things go away"
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Escape Velocity?
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

There is also frontier 0.5, which george made a long time ago, and the first version of Transcendence is startlingly similar.
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
Vachtra
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Escape velocity could be it. I'll have to check it when I get home.

I know about Frontier. I've played it numerous times and keep a copy in my transcendence folder.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Flatspace 1/2 ?
Star Control 1/2 ?
Weird Worlds ?
Battleships Forever ?
Strange Adventures In Infinite Space ?
NAEV ?
Gratuitous Space Battles ?

mmh, that's it, I don't know any more top-down 2D adventure space shooters. :P

well, Riftspace is cool but it's 3D, like Elite.
oh, and Distant Empires http://distantempires.com/, which is a online real-time multiplayer game of space conquest.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Starfighter: Disputed Galaxy. :P

...before it got hacked to hell, obviously.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Vachtra
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Okay, it's not Flatspace.
Not Star Control, although an awesome game.
Not Wierd Worlds.
Oh yeah, not Escape Velocity... I had hoped.
Not Battleships Forever.
Not NAEV.
Not Gratuitous Space Battles.
Will have to check out Strange Adventures in Infinite Space. I don't think so but well....

Anyhow, if anyone can think of a game with the scenario as mentioned in the first post please take a stab.
Star Weaver
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: . . . between the stars and the warm black sky . . .

StarFlight / StarFlight II?

I had a cousin who had these and thought they were superior to star control for some reason; i never got to play them much for some reason.
giantcabbage
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

It sounds like Solar Winds by Epic Megagames. There were two games, I think the first half of the first game was shareware.
StarFlight / StarFlight II?

I had a cousin who had these and thought they were superior to star control for some reason; i never got to play them much for some reason.
Starflight and Starflight II are probably the best games ever ;o) They can be a bit difficult to play if you're not used to the 1980s graphics and interface. However, there was a Megadrive/Genesis version of starflight 1 around the same time as Star Control II which had better graphics.
Vachtra
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Bingo! Solar Winds is the winner. I should have figured Tim would have made it.
Currently going back through the Jill of the Jungle series. It was awesome then and it's still awesome today.
For those who can remember that far back, although I believe some die hard fans still make adventures, ZZT used to rule the boards. There were literally thousands of games made for that engine. Most weren't that good though. i think I still have the OOP programming guide in a file cabinet somewhere.
Maybe someone should do a ZZT inspired adventure for Transcendence. Could be cool.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Though not specifically related, Tyrian 2000 got me started with this game somewhat.
matix
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Soooo many similar games :shock: but Trans is the best of them all :wink:
Matix's Revolutionary Repair Items! Get it here !
Stronger Centauri! Download it here
Matix's Weapon Pack!: Find it here!
Preview: Momentum Cannons! Get it here!

IRC (Love it! :D):
[10:54] * matix pokes Guest33555
[10:55] * matix thinks its dead....
[10:55] * Katami shoots Guest33555 in the foot
[10:55] <matix> O.o
[10:55] <Hatsya> don't worry, it's a water gun
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Certainly I have a preference to Transcendence but for the times those games were created they were very unique!