Old PC GAmes:Dos to windows 95

Talk about anything not related to Transcendence.
travbm
Miner
Miner

My favorite games were C&C, Dune 2000, Simcity, simfarm, simcity 2000. I tried Lemings in dosbox and digers or Extractors. I bought that game. The concept is great. But implenmentation is hard for me to play. Graphics are on par with master of orion 2. I liked Outpost and outpost 2. But there was a great old demo that was themed under wather. You got money by building gold extractors and build buildings and attack units. I also liked the transport tycoon, railroad tycoon and civilzation. But two was better in civilization. I played some 95 games such as 7th legion and doom. But I think the best games was simcity 2000 or Master of orion or MOO2. I think I played Age of empires alot also. I forgot Simisle was a fun game also. I would mine iron and coal and make steel to start out with to make money, Forestry worked well too.
Doing nothing here.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

In case you didn't know, the original CSC games are freeware now, and work on at least Windows 7.
Vachtra
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Some classics that I still play:
Scorched Earth
Commander Keen
Star Wars Tie Fighter
Descent
edit:
And how did I forget Total Annihilation? Ok may be 98 but hey.
"Have you guys ever watched the show?" ~ Guy
gunship256
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Sean Conner has re-created some 1990's games as well:

http://www.windowsgames.co.uk/mother.html
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Vachtra wrote:Some classics that I still play:
Scorched Earth
Someone made a 3d remake of that one. I ran into it as a RPM but there's probably a Debian package and versions for other OSs. There usually are. I get the impression it's a lot easier to port from Linux to Windows than the other way around.
Literally is the new Figuratively
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

System Shock (Honestly, I think it's better than SS2 in most regards except the control scheme)
SimIsle: Missions in the Rainforest (Name one other Sim-whatever game where you can exploit local villagers so much they turn to farming drugs out of despair, then force them to give you a cut of the profits? [NB: This usually involves killing your game...but still])
SimCity 2000
SimAnt (Can't play it anymore because my CD is of a Win98 copy, and thus is compiled for 16-bit and won't run through DOSbox)

And since I was actually a Mac user in the 90's (late 90's, but still)....GliderPro (one of the later versions) and Oregon Trail.

Also a knockoff/emulated Super Mario game of some sort that was on the comps in my primary school. No idea what it was or how it ended up there.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
pixelfck
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Cannon Fodder was great (and damn hart in later levels!) my all time favourite is (nowadays considered abandonware, playable on dosbox):

The Aethra Chronicles, Volume One: Celystra's Bane (shareware version)

The Aethra Chronicles is a shareware fantasy RPG based on the Role-Master system, a Pencil&Paper role playing system game similar to AD&D but based on percentage instead of dice. Players begin by creating 3 characters, choosing their class and stats in various stats such as Strength, Agility, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, Presence, Memory and Reason. The player then assigns skill proficiencies in a variety of abilities dependant on those stats and their chosen class. Combat is turn-based and the player can recruit an additional 3 characters for a total of 6.

As with most shareware games, the first episode ("The Book of Prophecy") could be freely distributed, with the other two ("Gems of Power" & "Demon's Might") available only to registered users. This archive contains the full registered version of the first volume, including all three episodes. The Aethra’s Chronicles were supposed to be a three volume sequel. Unfortunately, the second and thirst volumes were never released.

Original Description:
The Aethra Chronicles is a fantasy role playing game similar in style to Ultima and Bards Tale. The player is on a quest to discover who has kidnapped the newborn prince and why. The game starts with the player creating his character and two companions. Additional companions may be hired or found at some point in the game. The quest will take the characters to every town and village in the land. Many fearsome creatures will have to be faced. There are over a hundred different monsters from the lowly Giant Rat to the fearsome Red Dragon.
Links removed: Abandonware is not legal in the U.S. Please do not get us in legal trouble. You can link the shareware if it only goes to the unregistered version, but linking a licensed version, non-shareware sequels, or providing a license is not permitted.

I know most of the world has more permissive copyright laws, but George lives in the U.S. and the forums are hosted there.

Ok,
So, instead of the v1.1 registered edition, I'll link to a site with the shareware version instead.
Be aware that on the various abandonware websites several shareware edition float around, while some offer the registered, but crippled, v1.0b edition.

Cheers,
Pixelfck
Last edited by pixelfck on Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Download the Black Market Expansion from Xelerus.de today!
My other mods at xelerus.de
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

let's see I do remember fondly (that were not mentioned yet):
Tank Wars, Dune 1, Stunts (4D Sports Driving), Duke Nukem 1 and the 3D of course, most other Apogee sharewares like Biomenace, C&C 1, Myst, Doom 1 and 2, Transport Tycoon deluxe and TTDPatch, F19 and the F117 remake, Gobliiins, Pinball Fantasy, The Incredible Machine, 1988 OffRoad, Theme Park, Tyrian, Kiloblaster.

I had plenty of fun with SimAnt, even if it's a bit repetitive, and I never understood SimFarm, if you farm strawberries (by going to the extra crops menu) you get so much money that the game is broken.
MOO2 is THE best 4x game ever.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Yeah....Maxis made very interesting ideas in the 80's and 90's...but struggled at making good games out of them. And beta testing them.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
travbm
Miner
Miner

I still have a copy of oregon trail , but I liked sid meir's Colony or colonies where you try to settle the new world and earn your way to independence. And yes I have the old 1.44mb diskets fo Sim farm with the original manual. I like building Irragation ditches to raise sheep, cows or horses. And I liked that water sources refilled in rain or you could build them around water towers supplied by a wind pump. But other than that I still have Sim isle too. I just wish they made the Sim mars. The game never got made as they switched production to the sims. I think of what might have been. The company MAxis just stopped dreaming it seemed like. I tried sim ant. The wierd thing was mouth to mouth regergitation of food. I think they should have had a sim ant 2 more of as a stand alone ant colony sim. But have diffent kinds of ants you could play. There should have been leaf cutter ants that cut leaves to feed subterainian farms of fungus for food, ants that grew aphids that screted a sweet nector much like cattle ranching and milking, honey pot ants, and hunter gatherer ants, and slaver ants.
Doing nothing here.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Due to limitations in hardware, I played a lot of old DOS era games. A few that I can remember include Xargon, and of course Rogue and ADOM. I did eventually find an old IBM with the good old Sierra games on it - Space Quest 1,2, and 3, and Police Quest.

I wish I could remember more of them, because I used to have a stack of floppies about a foot high full of them.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
Vachtra
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Atarlost wrote:
Vachtra wrote:Some classics that I still play:
Scorched Earth
Someone made a 3d remake of that one. I ran into it as a RPM but there's probably a Debian package and versions for other OSs. There usually are. I get the impression it's a lot easier to port from Linux to Windows than the other way around.
Yeah the 3d one isn't as useful in teaching ballistics to kids though. Too hard to see what changes do in power and angle. I also use it to teack about money and interest rates.
There's also an online one with Armor Games that you gain levels with but it's still an inferior copy of the original, and people really don't play well there.
"Have you guys ever watched the show?" ~ Guy
travbm
Miner
Miner

I was playing with dos box looking at sim farm, sim life and sim earth and also looked at an old game Star Control 2, I think there is a thrid one on the net with a new up dated version. They had great game ideas but not the graphics or power to do them right. I think there is a gold mine of new verions of old games that could be great. some poeple even like master of orion over the second one.
Doing nothing here.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I liked the way the original MoO did tech. Not having full access forces you to actually think about what you're doing.
Literally is the new Figuratively
rasha
Anarchist
Anarchist

thanks for everything
== Solitaire ==