EU new copyright law

Talk about anything not related to Transcendence.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

EU new copyright law
The EU parliament just voted yes to change the EU copyright law.

This change, mostly the article 11 and 13 might affect websites like Facebook, Twitter dramatically.

I am mostly concerned by github and how this law will affect free code distribution and copyright.

It will take time for eu states to actually implement the changes, but I thought this might be important enough that it might affect us. (I really hope not)

Any comment ?
Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

It affects everything related to internet content. It is possible that for example the distribution of transcendence as we know it know is no longer possible in the EU. Simply linking to this site for example can be taxed or forbidden. Just because someone might have claimed the possibility of linking to a website to host games and related material for it.

It is simply a way to censor the internet in a way that makes it look as something else. Simply put, if you have content on your site that could potentially be copyrighted (or not) or generally unwanted by the powers that be, it can and will be blocked.

Wikipedia and such sites can no longer be edited by anyone when the subject of the matter has anything to do with something that could have any form of copyright an whatever way you can imagine. That content will be blocked (automatically if possible).

It can still be stopped by the European commission, they have the real (almost absolute) power in the EU.
Kaama
Anarchist
Anarchist

It will take forever to rectify , and each country will do it in diffrent way , you should be mostly worried with France and Germany when it comes to implementation of leftists laws, but now there will be a switch in Eu parliment a bit to the right. Also they did it mainly to censor their political opponents (like they try to prosecute or at least mute people who say obvious stuff that isnt convenient for leftist ideology, i.e. "homosoxuals cant have children")and they arent realy worried about any copyright laws. So in short : big social media platforms will be affected somehow, but github? I seriously doubt ,those censor guys know such thing exist, so dont worry.
Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Indeed every county will have to ratify the proposals according to it's own laws. But then again, the European parliament vote has no meaning whatsoever, because they have no real power and are only an advisory part for the European Commission. Only the European Commission (you can't vote for them) has the power to decide what becomes law, and what doesn't. Often they completely ignore the parliaments' advise.
Tiber
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

A march 26 article here;

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47708144

i quote;
However, specific tweaks to the law made earlier this year made memes safe "for purposes of quotation, criticism, review, caricature, parody and pastiche"
end quote;

Therefore for now the fear of article 11 and 13 are currently unfounded, no need for adaptation is necessary at this moment.
digdug wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:56 pm

free code

no free code or public domains ect ect ect are effected at all.

A march 29 article here;
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/28/article ... ernet.html

quote;
Articles 11 and 13 (or 15 and 17 as they’re now numbered after a recent update)
end quote;

Same still apply's