TransData for beginners

This is a moderated forum that collects tutorials, guides, and references for creating Transcendence extensions and scripts.
dosbox-gamer
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Hi all, and thanks for your quick reply. Sdw195, how current or complete is version 1.6? Does it output all the stuff new to TRv1 (like the Pteravores), and does it work with modded ships, autons :D and stations?

If everything looks good, I'll try to PM you the next time I'm at the library (their Internet is way faster than mine). Thanks again!
"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized." -- Daniel Hudson Burnham, architect & urban planner
sdw195
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

transdata is currently at 2.0 or 2.1 but v 1.6 will out put all the station data that you want (includin mods)
"Dash_Merc - George is a genius, in that he created this game engine that is infinitely extendable"
"<@sheepluva>Good night everybody, may the source be with you." <-- FOSG dev
"You only need THREE tools in life - WD-40 to make things go, Duct Tape to make things stop And C-4 to make things go away"
Patupi
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

OK, I've done modding on other games before and after playing Transcendence I thought I'd see what it's like. However I'm having difficulty getting the Transdata to do anything.

It's in the Transcendence folder and I've checked that the main exe file is there as well as the tdb file. If I try to generate a table it says 'unable to initiate Transendence'. If I try to decompile it says 'Unable to open datafile: Transcendence.tdb'.

I've got a load of extensions installed, could that hinder anything? Currently using Transdata version 2.1 and Transcendence v 1.08b

I'm using (unfortunately) Windows Vista and I tried getting the security to 'allow' full control for this folder (I really hate that about Vista :( ) but it didn't seem to help. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
sdw195
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

try using transdata 2.5, it will work ;)

http://www.neurohack.com/downloads/TransData25.zip
"Dash_Merc - George is a genius, in that he created this game engine that is infinitely extendable"
"You only need THREE tools in life - WD-40 to make things go, Duct Tape to make things stop And C-4 to make things go away"
Patupi
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Weird. All the links I found showed 2.1 as being the latest *shrugs* thanks sdw195, I'll try it.
sdw195
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

every new version needs a new transdata, so 1.06 1.07 and 1.08 each got a new release, its a good idea to look at the first release with a new version number, as there will be a link for transdata in it :)
Patupi
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Well it worked fine, thanks. Got the source and am perusing now.

One thought, I'm guessing most of the code is hardwired (from what I see). Is there any way to adjust some of the displays or functions of existing devices? I was thinking of changing how reactors and engines work, but I don't think the variables work with those items that I was thinking of. Was thinking of changing reactor 'fuel' to an energy capacitor. That way devices/weapons etc use the energy in the capacitor and the reactor recharges it. You could have a larger weapon than normal (if there was a way to over-ride the auto shut down from over loading reactor) but you couldn't fire it for long as the capacitor would run dry. I doubt putting in the 'refuel= "2000" ' etc would work with a reactor to make it slowly recharge the 'capacitor'.

After that I was hoping to have engines that use fuel (rather than reactors) but from what I see in the xmls I doubt this is possible right now. I've never used XML for anything like this. My programming experience in the past has been basic (too many times to mention), pascal, c, GML, and... Fanuc G-code. OK, that last is CNC machining language. Doesn't really apply here :) It's also really crude compared to most languages.