Topology editing: a walkthrough

This is a moderated forum that collects tutorials, guides, and references for creating Transcendence extensions and scripts.
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Have you tried adding more gates to the systems yet?

{beware of Prev in that case!!}
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Well done Kaama! :D

anyone wants to help expanding it ?
Comments?
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Hmmm... Digdug do you have a copy of the topo accelerator hanging around somewhere? Or does anyone else? That is probably way easier than explaining how to manually add gates in.

I wrote a little mod (topo accelerator) a while back that checks the topo for the number of gates it has listed and places them in the system pointed to the destinations. I found this to be massively easier than hard coding all the systems with gates to suit. I am sure someone around here has it and could be talked into posting it up on xelerus.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Periculi,
I found a GateSwitchMod (also called FullConnect.zip)
if it's the right one, I can upload it to xelerus.
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

No... full connect was from an older version of transcendence before the new functions were added to allow code to create gates.

I must have it somewhere... I wrote the dang thing!
Prophet
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I have a mod called "Gate Codes" using mod UNID DDDD. It has a bunch of Nav Beacons, is that it?
Coming soon: The Syrtian War adventure mod!
A Turret defense genre mod exploring the worst era in Earth's history.
Can you defend the Earth from the Syrtian invaders?
Stay tuned for updates!
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Nope, that one was for 0.98 version too. Earlier efforts at creating a system that wasn't dependent on gate for travel. Later on I figured out how to avoid all the items and create a list of systems in dockscreens to use as jump points. Gate codes was kind of fun in it's own way- you had to find the keys to systems from looting wrecks. :lol:

I found a 0.99a copy of the topology accelerator mod buried on my old compy. I will try to get it running again. Although I seem to remember that I was waiting on 0.99d for some reason... where is 0.99d anyhow? It's been quite a while!

The topo accelerator worked great - it places the needed gates dynamically so that you don't have to worry about star systems containing any gates at all. The code looks up the desired number of connections and adds gates for the node. Quite a smooth way to create larger and more complex topology.

Later on I added a random gate generator to the mix, it was turning the regular topology into a multiply connected network that could allow you to jump from a level 1 system into any level... depending on the settings in the dynamic gate generator. ;)
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Here it is, now on xelerus again: Adventure Topology Accelerator (revisited).

Here is the original topic.

You can use that to create star systems with any number of gates, and never need to actually remember how many gates you needed in a system. Yay!

The mod includes a sample adventure extension that demonstrates some various methods of constructing topologies, which could be a great primer to start from.

It's considerably easier than adding gates to star system definitions by hand!

Give it a try, and if you have any questions let me know.
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Yay... just yay!!!

.]
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Thank you very much Periculi.
I hope that with this amazing mod we are going to see more adventure extensions popping out ! :D
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

You know, I haven't had any time for games. It's horrible!

You want to see what I am "modding" these days?

Check it out

Extremely more complex than modding for transcendence, but infinitely less enjoyable. However, work is work, and my business is taking off - oddly enough even through the economic crisis. I have about 20 websites to produce in Magento in the pipeline right now. And everyone wants theirs done ASAP, of course.
{{ on the other hand, I am getting a FREE dedicated server to use for an online game as part of the deal... Yay! }}

Anybody got some experience with php/ajax/html and wants some work just pm me...