Help With 3D Modeling?

This is a moderated forum that collects tutorials, guides, and references for creating Transcendence extensions and scripts.
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

Is somebody knowledgeable about ship model design willing to spend a little while tutoring an absolute beginner while leaving tips and tricks for everybody to see?

I got interested in modeling ships for mods, so I looked around and found that Wings 3D seemed to be a popular program. I gave it a spin and the the extent of my knowledge now encompasses the immensely dangerous and grueling task known as...creating a cube :mrgreen: . So yeah. Can a Wings expert tell me what the [longStringOfCussWords] I do next? Or can someone recommend another program and give me a few pointers to get me past the immensely dangerous and grueling task mentioned above?
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Have you read through my tutorial? http://forums.kronosaur.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5695
It doesn't cover actually making the model itself but everything after (except textures).

As for making a model, you should right click on your object and choose between object/facing/edge/point. I usually find extruding faces to be the best when I just want to make a random surface. I still have a LOT of school left so it would be best to direct you to IRC. I'll suggest *weaver or Wolfy to ask about general modeling. I don't know anybody that uses Wings off the top of my head though.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

Wow, thanks! The 3D Graphics tutorial is awesome! My main question was answered with the magic word "extrude" so I think I'm set. :)
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."