Glad to see you got the post made!
I must clarify that SMF 2.0 would be nominal. SMF 1.1.11 is... old, to say the least.
Anyways, I can vouch for how easy to set up it is; installing SMF 2.0 takes only a matter of minutes to set up; the only reason it took my forums 10 minutes to install was because I forgot what my SQL database's password was & had to go find it.
Some more benefits of it:
1. Ability to add in an in-browser-in-browser-irc page (req 1 basic mod)
2. Ability to show & customize usergroup colors (To make a long story short, not having it resulted in me thinking alterecco was a tinkerer for... a full year before it came up in a conversation. It's also caused some other colorful confusion) - (req 1 basic mod)
3. Ability to do fun things with the usergroup images (this way we can show off more of the new ships! ATM, we've got outdated images filling these rolls) - (native functionality)
4. Superior ban control to PHPBB based systems; better ways of blocking bots!
- (native functionality)
5. Super-convenient-auto-installer for themes & mods! - (native functionality) [I'd like to see PHPBB based forums do that]
6. I know how to make themes for it (thought it does take some time) - (...my functionality? XD lol)
7. TTech & I are both knowledgeable in its interfaces - (our functionality... XD)
8. Some themes are already pretty close to what we already have; it would not be difficult to modify them to make one that is comparable to the current theme or the main site (who's new theme is... substantially more different from that of the forum's)