Board is back!

Discuss the community, including forums, xelerus, wiki, chat, and trac.
User avatar
IceMephit
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:46 pm
Location: Maine

Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:41 am

Prophet wrote:Just in time!

MY transcendence forum withdrawal symptoms were starting to get pretty bad...

Much better now! Thanks George!

I was worried that maybe it wouldn't ever come back............
For Sale: One slightly used EI500 freighter. Hull damaged, primary weapon defective, shields inoperable. Must be towed to Dry-dock. Make an offer!!

User avatar
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain
Posts: 943
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:12 am
Location: Starton Australia

Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:06 am

OK, I'm back online properly now.

From the looks of it, this board is graphically terrible. The whole thing needs a new paint job, and blue is definitely NOT transcendence.

I was thinking that George could use a similar scheme to the actual transcendence website, for continuity, otherwise as I mentioned previously, some kind of black-and-silver layout would look sweet. Red and black, wasn't doing it for me on the old forums anyway, however I like the width of the new board, so please leave that.

Otherwise, I'm just glad the whole thing is back online and running well!

Heres' to many years more of happy forums! :D

EDIT: George, can we also have a set of stylesheets for mobile phones? You know, ones that get rid of extra graphics and shrink the whole thing? I know it's a big ask, but I frequently view the forums via my smart phone and viewing a large webpage is a pain. :(

User avatar
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:03 am
Location: Traveling in the TARDIS
Contact:

Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:31 am

Nothing is ever lost forever.
Image
Image

User avatar
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain
Posts: 943
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:12 am
Location: Starton Australia

Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:44 am

Ttech wrote:Nothing is ever lost forever.
No, but it was lost for 22 days. That's a long time to people who like forums...and prefer them over certaIn otheR formats of Communication. -_-

(To casual readers, me and TTech disagree on whether forum or IRC is better. I vote forum. :D )

User avatar
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:03 am
Location: Traveling in the TARDIS
Contact:

Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:44 am

ThePrivateer wrote:
Ttech wrote:Nothing is ever lost forever.
No, but it was lost for 22 days. That's a long time to people who like forums...and prefer them over certaIn otheR formats of Communication. -_-

(To casual readers, me and TTech disagree on whether forum or IRC is better. I vote forum. :D )

Bash IRC all you want, I really don't care the least. However there is a difference between Chat protocols and Forums, you don't take a forum and make it into a chat. You get a forum that is rather unusable and rather useless to view. However I do recommend the forums and the wiki for most things regarding the community, however IRC is good for good discussions and solving issues quite quickly. People who want rapid discussions and such will like IRC. :) Have a good day.
Image
Image

User avatar
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain
Posts: 943
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:12 am
Location: Starton Australia

Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:52 am

Ttech wrote:
ThePrivateer wrote:
Ttech wrote:Nothing is ever lost forever.
No, but it was lost for 22 days. That's a long time to people who like forums...and prefer them over certaIn otheR formats of Communication. -_-

(To casual readers, me and TTech disagree on whether forum or IRC is better. I vote forum. :D )

Bash IRC all you want, I really don't care the least. However there is a difference between Chat protocols and Forums, you don't take a forum and make it into a chat. You get a forum that is rather unusable and rather useless to view. However I do recommend the forums and the wiki for most things regarding the community, however IRC is good for good discussions and solving issues quite quickly. People who want rapid discussions and such will like IRC. :) Have a good day.
Agree to disagree, then? ;)

Nothing against you personally, but I just...prefer forums. that's all. Personal preference. :)

User avatar
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Posts: 1259
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:48 pm
Location: By the beach

Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:21 am

I was right behind ya, Digdug, checking multiple times per day.. lol

Hey George, I just installed phpBB 3.0.8 here and read up on the theme packages. Too easy. Can I use the main site as a resource/style guide to build a theme for you to try out?

User avatar
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Posts: 1658
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:08 am
Location: Previously enslaved by the Iocrym

Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:58 pm

George, it would be nice to get the favicon back to all the pages of the board. As it is now it seems to only be used on the main page.

User avatar
Wolfy
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 5394
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:10 am
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:42 pm

Hermes grey is nice, but could use a bit more contrast between the table backgrounds and the text IMO.
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'hycrotan 'nonBinary))
Image
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 1080ti | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970
Office Systems: 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 3770, 16GB, some old quadro | i5 3210m, 8GB | some i7 macbook
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops

User avatar
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Posts: 1658
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:08 am
Location: Previously enslaved by the Iocrym

Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:19 pm

Wolfy wrote:Hermes grey is nice, but could use a bit more contrast between the table backgrounds and the text IMO.
Such details should be easily adjusted through the css... I guess what is really important is that we find a theme with a good layout... then we can always adjust the colours.

george moromisato
Developer
Developer
Posts: 2986
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:53 pm
Contact:

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:34 pm

Periculi wrote:I was right behind ya, Digdug, checking multiple times per day.. lol

Hey George, I just installed phpBB 3.0.8 here and read up on the theme packages. Too easy. Can I use the main site as a resource/style guide to build a theme for you to try out?
Yes, please!

I can't promise that I would make that the default, but I guarantee that at least I will upload it so that everyone can try it out. Thank you!

george moromisato
Developer
Developer
Posts: 2986
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:53 pm
Contact:

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:34 pm

alterecco wrote:
Wolfy wrote:Hermes grey is nice, but could use a bit more contrast between the table backgrounds and the text IMO.
Such details should be easily adjusted through the css... I guess what is really important is that we find a theme with a good layout... then we can always adjust the colours.
I agree. I'll upload Hermes so that people can play with it.

User avatar
Wolfy
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 5394
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:10 am
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:39 pm

For non-logged-in users, the default is still pro-silver, even though the ACP settings show otherwise. I think I can brute-force a solution though, by setting a default style for the "guest" usergroup to whatever is supposed to be the default.
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'hycrotan 'nonBinary))
Image
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 1080ti | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970
Office Systems: 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 3770, 16GB, some old quadro | i5 3210m, 8GB | some i7 macbook
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops

george moromisato
Developer
Developer
Posts: 2986
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:53 pm
Contact:

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:44 pm

Wolfy wrote:For non-logged-in users, the default is still pro-silver, even though the ACP settings show otherwise. I think I can brute-force a solution though, by setting a default style for the "guest" usergroup to whatever is supposed to be the default.
Thank you. I don't know how to fix it otherwise.

User avatar
Wolfy
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 5394
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:10 am
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:11 am

Ok, I'll go ahead and do that then. ^^
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'hycrotan 'nonBinary))
Image
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 1080ti | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970
Office Systems: 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 3770, 16GB, some old quadro | i5 3210m, 8GB | some i7 macbook
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops

Post Reply