Fixing the Wiki

Discuss the community, including forums, xelerus, wiki, chat, and trac.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The wiki has been a part of the community for several years now and it has accumulated quite a bit of information since it was started. The problem is we had been adding pages directly to the wiki without regard for organization.

Much has been discussed on this topic however I think I might have come up with a solution to this and hopefully provide everyone with an easier to use wiki! Most of these changes involve just moving content to the right places, removing content that is old. Namespaces are key to this as we can categorize content into locations, the only issue will be internal links will be [[namespace:category:page]]

Base Namespace:
  • Community
    • Resources
  • Game
    • Guides / Basic Faction Understanding
    • About
    • Tutorials
  • Modding
    • Item Reference
    • In depth detail of factions, ships, etc
    • functions
And the list goes on. :)

So for example to access
modding - functions - and
you'd do
http://wiki.neurohack.com/transcendence ... ctions/and
[[modding:functions:and]]

or for community - irc
http://wiki.neurohack.com/transcendence ... munity/irc
[[community:irc]]

or guides
http://wiki.neurohack.com/transcendence ... g_a_pirate
[[game:guide:being_a_pirate]]

Another idea is that we stop naming guides under the person that named it, title it as "Ttech's guide to IRC" but it would just be community/irc_guide

I will post more information on the wiki once more people see this.
Nill
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Ttech wrote: Another idea is that we stop naming guides under the person that named it, title it as "Ttech's guide to IRC" but it would just be community/irc_guide
FINALLY :mrgreen:
I Hate This Game="Nill"
YAY NYAN CAT IS IN TRANS http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=949
♫♫♫♫♫
♫ /l
(゚、 。 7
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
In IRC you'll hear great thing like this
[19:41] Azar_Wolf |oh derp, will have to leave in 10 minutes
[19:41] Ttech |NOQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
[19:41] Ttech |eats Azar_Wolf
[19:41] Azar_Wolf |...
[19:41] Ttech |And spits out a ... uh...
[19:41] Ttech |I don't know
[19:41] Ttech |Its a blob
[19:42] Azar_Wolf |eww
[19:42] sdw195 |...
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

The only thing i dont like about a restructuring is that it will break all existing links from external pages. Personally i think we should enforce namespaces for all /new/ content, but be very careful with reorganizing old content. I for one know that i have linked to the function legend page from a lot of places, on xelerus and the forums.
Get your own Galactic Omni Device
Get it now. It's free!!
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

alterecco wrote:The only thing i dont like about a restructuring is that it will break all existing links from external pages. Personally i think we should enforce namespaces for all /new/ content, but be very careful with reorganizing old content. I for one know that i have linked to the function legend page from a lot of places, on xelerus and the forums.
totally agree

Example :
While I had the game i never thought of the forums until I met the Mule : it was Google that led me here to learn what the Mule was ( it was stalking my ship and I wanted to know why, it would not fight and always stopped when i did as if i could not see it... )

i still get links for unused forums and posts concerning the game, its a traffic driver and many things in " old content" are valuable to people that don't know exactly what they are trying to describe to Google and it is the " old content" that has the matches to the strange ways people can attempt to communicate......

you do not currently have a post that calls the Mule a Platform or describes it as an auton/ ship that follows the player: it is an "old content" post
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

alterecco wrote:The only thing i dont like about a restructuring is that it will break all existing links from external pages. Personally i think we should enforce namespaces for all /new/ content, but be very careful with reorganizing old content. I for one know that i have linked to the function legend page from a lot of places, on xelerus and the forums.

I'm willing to update urls and leave backlinks.
There is a plugin that I can install to help with this so it should not be too bad!
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Ttech wrote: I'm willing to update urls and leave backlinks.
What do you mean? Just to make sure, the broken links i am talking about are the ones that we can not fix, from external sites, because they will be pointing to the old pages.
Get your own Galactic Omni Device
Get it now. It's free!!
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

alterecco wrote:
Ttech wrote: I'm willing to update urls and leave backlinks.
What do you mean? Just to make sure, the broken links i am talking about are the ones that we can not fix, from external sites, because they will be pointing to the old pages.

Broken links? No, they would be blank pages with a link that says "Page has moved"
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Yeah. Some of the guides to things are a bit old and haven't been updated along with the game. Restructuring is a pain, but in the long run....probably worth it. We can also make sure there's no unneeded redundant pages (see what I did there?).
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Shrike wrote:Yeah. Some of the guides to things are a bit old and haven't been updated along with the game. Restructuring is a pain, but in the long run....probably worth it. We can also make sure there's no unneeded redundant pages (see what I did there?).

Thats what I am figuring as well!
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Ok, just a little reminder, but we are also missing the ceratops and Cyclotron series of shields from the wiki.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

RPC wrote:Ok, just a little reminder, but we are also missing the ceratops and Cyclotron series of shields from the wiki.
thanks. :)
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Ok, I was looking for Luminous documentation and I can't find any.
Should we append that as its own section on the wiki for people to be able to use Luminous better?
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
WillyTheSquid
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

The "recommended mods" section on the Wiki could use an update. Quite a few obsolete, unfinished and godmods on there. I'd be up for (re)writing a page on the (updated) Xelerus mod categories and what they mean.

This would also help with sending aspiring mod-users on their way towards the downloads they're looking for. Right now, installing some of the "recommended mods" is guaranteed to crash your game.

I'd like to think that I've got a pretty good grasp on which mods are (un)balanced by now; which ones play nice with each other and which ones conflict. Think I've probably downloaded about 3/4ths of the mods on Xelerus.de; installed and used about half of those after checking out the XML files.

Maybe I could add a list of community members who have given blanket permission to use their mods in other mod projects, without having to ask them first (but may/may not require being credited with the original mods). I distinctly remember reading several such statements while trawling through the forums.
I could also explain the procedure for giving proper credit to mod makers.

*edit* slightly edited for clarity

“Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. (Modders) believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.” -Scott Adams

Resident mod-cobbler-together, freakspawn-fixer-upper & musical eclectro-ecumenologist.
If you love something, tweak it and twist it. Keep bending it until it breaks. Rip it apart, remix it, rebuild it. Kill your darlings and stitch them together again.

JOIN US ON IRC. IT KICKS ASS. JOIN THE HIVE MIND.
Place cursor on link. Click link. Never look back.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Sure WillyTheSquid! It would be great to update it- the wiki vastly needs updating!
giantcabbage
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Does the wiki have the Structured Data Plugin installed? http://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:data (alternatively the Tags plugin could probably be used too). Something like that would allow the pages to be organised into categories etc. and index tables/lists generated automatically similar to the function list on xelerus.

It should make maintaining the XML elements, events, functions, item and ship databases much easier.

For example, the events could be reorganised as one event per page e.g. wiki/events/OnDestroy. Each event would use the Data / Tag plugin to list which types this event is called for (e.g. Station, Ship, Weapon device etc.) Then the current events page and XML pages could use the plugin to list the usable events. This would solve the problem with some events not being listed on the main events page e.g. OnDamageXXX events under weapon_devices