Continuation of xelerus

Discuss the community, including forums, xelerus, wiki, chat, and trac.
bimbel
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

My fellow xelerus users,

I havn't been here in a long time. Time has come that I'm thinking about the end of the modding portal on xelerus.

This has many different reasons but I want to shed some light on two of them.

1. Time.
I don't really find time to maintain the site as you may have noticed. I thought when my shedule was lighter I would come back and find time and motivation again to continue but I didn't. I also don't expect it to come back. (I havn't even played T in years which is a shame but a thing that'll be a more likely thing to change)

2. You deserve better.
Maybe I should have realized this sooner but I didn't. But xelerus could be way better in many ways. One reason might be that web programming was only a hobby to me and I never learned it properly.

This means I won't put more work into the page and it is very unlikely that this will change.

What comes next?

First thing: I won't pull the plug on the page anytime soon or vanish into the abyss. The sheer number of mods and work put into them is something that should be preserved. Therefore this is the first step to see what could be done community wise to keep the mods alive.

I'm not really up to date what george is up to but the last thing I heard about modding was at the eginning of the year on his blog.
http://neurohack.com/kronosaur/Transcendence1.1.html wrote:Right now the only way to acquire these extensions is to download and install them from Xelerus. In future versions, however, some of these mods will be available on the Multiverse and will automatically be installed by the game when you want them. As I described earlier in the year, I will continue to make it easier to discover and develop mods that enhance the game.
I havn't read the forums so I might not be up to date. Now let me hear your opinions on what we could do.

Sincerely,
bmbl

p.s.:
I'll pop into IRC now and then so there is also the chance that we may discuss this over there. Any times when many people are available there ;)?
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Can we archive all the mods? Is there an easy way to do it?

As it stands, the multiverse is nowhere near completion as George is still working on Anacreon 3, so Xelerus is still the only source for mods unfortunately :(
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Could I have the source and the mods? we can probably transfer it over to another server.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Maybe a server with bigger file size limit?
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Androgeos
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

It's not possible to shift all the mods on Xelerus to Ttech's shared Dropbox folder, is it?
[10:42] <Katami> TTECH: IT SEYS "ONCE YOU ENTAR A EYSTEM HAHAHAHAAHH~~~!~~~!<3<3<3
[10:42] <Katami> ~ROLLL 1D100 L0LL0LL0LL0LHAHHAHHAH!~!!~~:-):-):-)
pixelfck
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I'm not sure that would be the best solution. Bulk data hosting services have a tendency to go down without a warning.
Download the Black Market Expansion from Xelerus.de today!
My other mods at xelerus.de
TVR
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

bimbel wrote:2. You deserve better.
Maybe I should have realized this sooner but I didn't. But xelerus could be way better in many ways. One reason might be that web programming was only a hobby to me and I never learned it properly.
IMO, an amateur mod site is the best home for our amateur game mods, since a commercial mod site would probably be a multi-layered Flash/Javascript mess like gamefront, formerly known as filefront.
Fiction is reality, simplified for mass consumption.
PGP: 0x940707ED, 5DB8 4CB4 1EF5 E987 18A0 CD99 3554 3C13 9407 07ED
Bitcoin: 1LLDr7pnZDjXVT5mMDrkqRKkAPByPCQiXQ
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

TVR wrote:
bimbel wrote:2. You deserve better.
IMO, an amateur mod site is the best home for our amateur game mods, since a commercial mod site would probably be a multi-layered Flash/Javascript mess like gamefront, formerly known as filefront.
In my experience xelerus.de is fine for hosting the mods for this community, if anything needed a change then it should be a simple matter to give admin priviliges to some of the more active trusted members of the community (you know who they are)
besides that i have no issue with the site, it works fine, and doesn't need constant upgrades or tinkering.
(func(Admin Response)= true){
if(admin func(amiable) = true)
Create func(Helpful Posts)
else func(Keep Calm and Post derisive topics)}
pixelfck
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

FourFire wrote: In my experience xelerus.de is fine for hosting the mods for this community, if anything needed a change then it should be a simple matter to give admin priviliges to some of the more active trusted members of the community (you know who they are)
besides that i have no issue with the site, it works fine, and doesn't need constant upgrades or tinkering.
This is very true, I've never had the feeling it was not good enough.
Download the Black Market Expansion from Xelerus.de today!
My other mods at xelerus.de
Androgeos
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

The only possible issue I might have with Xelerus is the mod size limitation. The good thing is that most mods aren't on the same scale as the old Wyvera and can be split up into different parts if need be, but still, it can be a minor annoyance at times.
[10:42] <Katami> TTECH: IT SEYS "ONCE YOU ENTAR A EYSTEM HAHAHAHAAHH~~~!~~~!<3<3<3
[10:42] <Katami> ~ROLLL 1D100 L0LL0LL0LL0LHAHHAHHAH!~!!~~:-):-):-)