[Meta] why are there so many mods on the forums but not Xelerus?

Discuss the community, including forums, xelerus, wiki, chat, and trac.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Feels weird that there are a lot of good mods that have little to no visibility because they are on the forums and not on Xelerus.

Is there something we can do about this or nah?

Examples:
https://forums.kronosaur.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7785

https://forums.kronosaur.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7698

https://forums.kronosaur.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7577

https://forums.kronosaur.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7709
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Part of the problem is that Xelerus is fairly broken at this point, and to make matters worse it’s not being maintained. Getting a mod to upload can be tricky under even good circumstances, and some people are unable to convince it to work at all. Add to that the fact that a few mods out there exceed the 5MB file limit and the hassle of people having to upload a mod in sections and it’s honestly not surprising that a lot of people opt to find external hosting and just post the link here on the forum instead.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I do not use many mods, mostly because Xelerus looks old and offers a lot of incompatible mods. It perhaps once was a good solution, but it is definitely showing it's age.

Perhaps it is an idea to make a modding section on the Multiverse? The official mods are already there, Perhaps their makers can shed some light on the (im)possibities in doing so?
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

AP hit the nail on the head.

I would still use xelerus for small, complete mods, but if you were to look at my projects now none of them would fit the filesize limit - even what I would call a "small" mod now is pushing it. And without being maintained, the majority of mods are broken or obsolete.

Multiverse is probably the best (eventual) replacement, but for now the forums have the best visibility and functionality.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Yeah. Xelerus is dead. Even getting something to upload can be a set of extremely annoying workarounds. And it's so old and unmaintained that I don't feel comfortable encouraging the use of it.

We need to replace it, but sadly the planned xelerus replacement has slipped down the schedule every year since about 2012 or so.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Xelerus is bleeding out, and it isn't really as integrated as it once was. People who have been here since forever still use it, but new users just attach mods to their posts.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I only post mods on xelerus if they are complete and useful. Little example mods get posted on the forum. If you search "xelerus" and/or "upload" on the forum you will find info that makes it possible to upload mods. But if it's only a mod that's being developed as I go and probably has a few bugs in it then I don't see much point in putting it on xelerus because it may be a long time before I get the next updated version written.

That said, I'm about to post a mod that is a beta version. It's fully functional (as far as I know) but has a few minor glitches that don't affect the running of the mod. Because it works now, I'll upload it and the next version can go up whenever it get's written.

A handy hint is to use game images to reduce the mod size. If there is already a hero image for a ship then a playership mod becomes tiny. Or cut a section of a large image with code to get a small image that isn't standard in the game.
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Remind George not to take you guys on a Multiplayer Mission .....

This community of players isn't about sitting around around starving to death in hopes
that the FSM ( may Parmesan be upon him ) will fly in to save the day.

No, this is the Realm of Domina - a Realm where Pilots and Pilgrims Jump through the
airlocks to bring Order and Peace to the universe.

This is where Xelerus is your companion, giving insight and motivation of the many ways
and methods YOU can can bring Oracus to his knees.

If we have a lacking...if we have a systemic failure of participation

It is not our place to pat oneself on the back for not getting involved.

It is our place to reach out to George & Wolfy & the others of the Fleet Command
to offer our few minutes worth of services randomly to check in and assist in fixing the issues.

If there is a Mod on Xelerus that doesn't play in your chosen version, you can upgrade it or ask in the forums for assistance in getting that done.

I use Xelerus - it's quirky, yes....but so am I .

I didn't read all that you guys wrote - I couldn't hear anything over your screams of selfishly flying in circles around an important opportunity to get into the battle and fight for something bigger then yourselves.
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..