New Mod: Weapons Extended

Post about your finished mods here.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Updated v1.13:

Changed all the failurechance of overcap weapons to 5 (lamplighterprototype is still 10)
Added Ion modifier to the IM90
Fixed and moved the list of modifiers

http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=83

-----

Updated v1.12:

Bugfixed the color of many weapons
Corrected a bug with the XM300 missile.
Corrected the bug with the Nandao Bolt Cannon (how directional=true finished there ?!)
Added new descriptions
Added many new modifiers, see below.
Added 2 new ammo tables, they should now handle all the ships in the vanilla game.
Added 1 new unknown Ion weapon for low level Ion weapons.

Updated v1.11:

Fixed the color of more weapons (in particular all the Tev9 weapons)
Fixed some descriptions
Corrected a bug with the XM300 missile.
Added 2 more ammo tables, now they should handle all the ships in the vanilla game.
Changed the count="xxx" of ammo tables to reasonable values.
Added even more modifiers for weapon damage type and sovereigns and special cases (like radiation)

Updated v1.01 (Bugfix version)

Fixed some typos
fixed the color of all ion weapons
nerfed the P1 Guardian missile (could destroy the Iocrym with 60-70 missiles)
fixed the spread4 weapons (seems that spread3 or 5 works well, spread4 doesn't work)
unknown plasma weapons now show up as "unknown plasma cannon" and not as unknown missile rack :lol:
fixed some missing semicolumns needed in the unknown weapons names
now the standard ion cannon has it's original color back
all overcap weapons are yellow now, and they all have a small failure chance
added new cool (emh...) descriptions for the new ammos and missiles.
fixed and upgraded more descriptions of missiles.
now the ion flame cannon names have a code in order to undestand which configuration you have found.

-------------------------

So it took me a while, but I finished the first part of this new mod. :)
The mod makes nearly all the weapons in the game unknown.
Then it adds 261 (two hundred sixty one) :shock: new weapons and missiles that are variations of the original weapons in the game: depending on the weapon I modified damage, momentum, speed, color, fragments and configurations.
Some weapons have cool names (ehm...), just play to discover them (or poke into the code if you're lazy), others are just like "orange ion cannon".
Some of them are just cosmetic variations, others are stronger, or nerfed or well balanced VS the Vanilla weapons.

The modifications are:
Total override of the 130 original weapons (and ammo) in the game
261 new Weapons
14 Random tables for ammo
555 unique random names divided in 17 unknown weapons

Moreover I added New Modifiers for handling the weapons easily in code, and all the weapons now have the full sovereign or Manifacturer inside the name of the weapon. For the weapons with a too long name I applied a Shortening Method, and inside the file there are the Guidelines on how to short names.

Name shortening should be standard because I'm going to use itmCreateByName to create the weapons inside the ships and stations in the 2nd part of the mod.
Yes, the second part of the mod will be a total override of all the ships and stations in the Vanilla game.

[EDIT] Thanks to Periculi for the fantastic idea of the Random equipment mod.
Periculi, you're welcomed to use this mod or part of it for your needs of the next version of the RandEquipMod.

[EDIT2]
I think I broke the record for the logest mod: 16800 lines of code. :)
Last edited by digdug on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:49 am, edited 8 times in total.
evilbob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

*yoink* perhaps this will provide me with some degree of insight into new weapon ideas.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

After talking with Betel, we decided that itmCreateRandom is better to use for weapons extended mod part 2 (override of all the ships and stations)

So Modifiers are really important, please use the new modifiers i added, if you want to add weapons to the mod.
You can do whatever you want with the names instead, personally I preferred to add the full name of the sovereign/manifacturers to the name of the weapon.
:D
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

:lol: Longest mod? At a mere 16,800 lines?

261 new weapons, eh? I must go check this out!
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Periculi wrote::lol: Longest mod? At a mere 16,800 lines?

261 new weapons, eh? I must go check this out!
what is that? :P JK Ever want me to rename the items?
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

umm... I thought you already had!

:twisted: Rename them and balance the economy system whilst I go play with this lovely new weapons mod.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

ops! 2nd longest mod :oops:
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Periculi wrote:umm... I thought you already had!

:twisted: Rename them and balance the economy system whilst I go play with this lovely new weapons mod.

lol
weapons mod? I had taht too. :P
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

digdug you did a great job with this mod. I really enjoy the unknowns, and have now finished testing this mod with a new version of RandEquip using filters via itmCreateRandom, and it works great. I don't really see a need to go to too much work with the itmCreateByName- using just the filters by modifier and the level spread seems to work great, and the random equipment is primarily for small ships- the large ships or any ship with extra info in the <device> tag makes it hard to set up a random equip grab for them. Stations also seem to be a little tricky because the install script only works for ships.

I should be able to release a version of the random equipment mod with the updated script fairly soon, unless you are close to finishing the second part of the mod as mentioned in your post then I won't- no sense in having us both working on the same thing. Maybe we could work on it as a team? PM me and we can discuss it.

At any rate, good work!

Code: Select all

Here is the revised method I placed in the ship tag- 50% chance of a shield being given in this model.

<Events>

<OnCreate>
		(block (randShield choiceWeapon choiceShield) 
			(setq randShield (random 0 1))

(setq choiceWeapon (itmCreateRandom "w,-m" "ucrr- ----- ----- -----"))

(switch
				(eq randShield 0)
					(setq choiceShield (itmCreateRandom "s" "ucrr- ----- ----- -----"))
				(eq randShield 1)
					(setq choiceShield Nil)

)

(if choiceWeapon
				(block Nil
					(objAddItem gSource choiceWeapon)
					(shpInstallDevice gSource choiceWeapon)
							)
						)

(if choiceShield
						(block Nil
							(objAddItem gSource choiceShield)
							(shpInstallDevice gSource choiceShield)
							)
						)

)

</OnCreate>

</Events>

digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I'm still thinking if you should know the effective level of the weapon (unknown weapon level 2 is a level 2 weapon) or retain the current system, in which you don't know the exact level of the weapon. In fact the unknown weapons mimick in a certain way the main weapons grouping.

with a few important exceptions all weapons follow these general guidelines:
laser and kinetic: 1-3 level
blast and particle : 4-6 level
ion and thermo: 7-9 level
plasma: level 10 and above

all weapons that not follow this rules are overpowered or works better than expected in my opinion, notably the Hanzo Blaster (level 7 particle), IM90 (level 10 ion), x-ray (level 5 laser), dual Flenser (level 6 kinetic), dual turbolaser (level 4 laser)

Particles type weapons (like the Morning star) or some omnidirectional weapons also don't follow this rule.
Also I haven't considered antimatter and positron weapons, that are less optimized (only few examples) and have special meaning ingame.

about itmCreateRandom : I agree , that's the best solution, but maybe using Global functions and calling the them inside the <OnCreate> of the ship we can do less coding, less prone to errors.
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

The difference is small on the coding, and I fear no errors.

Where it is localized, it's easier to see what is going on if you are new to modding, which might make it easier to use for the majority. Perhaps moving the install script (which is the same for all the ships) to the Globals would make sense because it is re-used so much exactly the same and not necessary to adjust it much for future versions.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Updated v1.01 (Bugfixing version)

Fixed some typos
fixed the color of all ion weapons
nerfed the P1 Guardian missile (could destroy the Iocrym with 60-70 missiles)
fixed the spread4 weapons (seems that spread3 or 5 works well, spread4 doesn't work)
unknown plasma weapons now show up as "unknown plasma cannon" and not as unknown missile rack :lol:
fixed some missing semicolumns needed in the unknown weapons names
now the standard ion cannon has it's original color back
all overcap weapons are yellow now, and they all have a small failure chance

Feel free to request any improvements or modifications.
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

umm... overcap weapons are still around.. heehee.. :P

Maybe make the 'higher performance - lesser quality' weapons overheat or need a capacitor charge to work.
BrolyLSSJ5
Anarchist
Anarchist

Great work! :wink:

But I have a question: I have a savegame with the previous version of this mod... if I apply this version, I have to restart from the beginning or I can play normally my game? I was very lucky in it! (found worldship armor before St. Katharine's!!! :shock: 8) Im invincible! )
THE POWER OF A LEGEND DOESN'T KNOW LIMITS

I'm A Transcendence Italian Player!
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

mmmhhh, i fixed the missing semicolumns in the unknown weapons names, this could bring 2 situations:
-game works but the unknown weapons have their name changed from the previous mod.
-game brutally crashes because the number of unknown names are changed.

ok, Periculi, next update will have a lot more capacitor and overheating weapons. (and I will remove the name shortening guidelines, they are obsolete now if we are going to use the itmCreateRandom )

[EDIT]: It seems to work without problems, i just reloaded my savegame with the previous version and did some trading at a taikon.