ship modeling for everyone

This is a moderated forum that collects tutorials, guides, and references for creating Transcendence extensions and scripts.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

To all the wannabe ships designers and modelers
thanks to our friend LD, I discovered DOGA, a japanese (i think) software for making spaceships that works with already made "parts".

Here is an example i made, 2 mins with DOGA (first time ever of use, no joking) and 2 mins with Bryce (placed a texture, tweaked sky and water)
30 secs of rendering.

Download link for DOGA here (provided by LD):
http://doga.jp/archive/080709/dogal3_807_setup.exe

I think that this software could be useful for us to make plenty of new ships very easily.
I suppose there are limitations to this approach, so I have to test.

Comments welcome!
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

What's the licensing? I would think that since the models are assembled out of parts they're owned by whoever owns the parts. That may limit what you can use them for.
Prophet
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

This is C&Pd directly from the install Licensing Agreement.
1.Grant of license
The DOGA software is licensed as follows:
You are granted limited, non-exclusive, nontransferable license to use the DOGA product in consideration of the payment of the registration fee.
You may use the Software on one computer at any time for use only in the End-User's own business.
You may not copy or reproduce the Software except the archival purpose.

2. Copyright.
The Software is owned by DOGA and is protected by Japanese copyright laws and international provisions.
The copyright of L3 preset parts belongs to DOGA. The copyright of all visual content produced using L3 belongs to you and DOGA. You can use them for personal use and exhibit them at CG contests etc. If you would like to use them for business purposes, DOGA's permission is required.
Visual content and models produced using any part or function of L3 for non-profit purposes including personal and group homepages is allowed. In these cases, please mention that they are the products of DOGA-L3 and put a DOGA banner on the homepage.

3. No warranty.
This product is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. DOGA does not and cannot warrant the performance or results you may obtain by using the Software. In no event will DOGA be liable to you for any consequential, incidental, direct, indirect, special, punitive, or other damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of business profits, business interruption, loss of business information, loss of savings or other pecuniary loss) arising out of this agreement or use of or inability to use the Software, even if DOGA has been advised of the possibility of such damages.

4. Termination.
This license will terminate immediately without notice from Licensor if you fail to comply with the terms and conditions of this license agreement. In such case, you must remove the Software promptly from your computer.

5. Export law assurances.
Licensee shall not export or re-export, or allow the export or re-export of the Software or any copy, portion or direct product of the foregoing, in violation of any export laws, restrictions, national security controls or regulations of Japan or other applicable foreign agency or authority.

Full install = 97.6mb
(Requires that you manually create a folder for the textures, I got an error message and the install aborted.)

After install windows refused to run it for some reason (I have XP sp2).
I might fiddle some more later. It looks interesting.
Coming soon: The Syrtian War adventure mod!
A Turret defense genre mod exploring the worst era in Earth's history.
Can you defend the Earth from the Syrtian invaders?
Stay tuned for updates!
Dalva
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

wow, looks cool. i use google translate to translate the whole webpage, cus i didnt understand japaneese at all.
http://translate.google.com/

but i'm not downloading it now, cus if the filesize is 97.6mb it will take hours, even if i download it using my FDM (free download manager)
Cygnus.X1
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Sweet! Thanks for the linkies! :D
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

What's the licensing? I would think that since the models are assembled out of parts they're owned by whoever owns the parts. That may limit what you can use them for.
That's possible. But it seems that we can make our own parts too, using a "real" modeler.
Prophet
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I'm in the process of learning blender right now so I think I'll stick with that. It seems to be much more powerful and there's alot more help out there. I've got a sweet ship modeled that I'm tweaking. Next step is to figure out how to wrap textures, then rendering, rotating, masking.....
Ahhhh but that's for another day!
Coming soon: The Syrtian War adventure mod!
A Turret defense genre mod exploring the worst era in Earth's history.
Can you defend the Earth from the Syrtian invaders?
Stay tuned for updates!
Cygnus.X1
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I could kiss you for this! :lol: Someday I'm gonna learn Blender, in the meantime, I duplicated one of my fav ships from www.pardus.at in about 30 mins, and that was before I discovered the left<->right part cloning. If you just want to make ships using pre-fab parts, it's nearly perfect!

I got errors from the installer linked above when I checked the options for the hi-res extra stuff, I'll dig on their website and see what else I can find.
[edit]
Hi-res Textures:
http://doga.jp/archive/070101/dogal3_70 ... _setup.exe
Hi-res Backgrounds
http://doga.jp/archive/070101/dogal_701_bg_setup.exe

you will need both of these executables in the same folder as the installer program to get it to extract the extras, brings total download size to 72+ MB.
[/edit]

Anybody know what the lighting vectors need to be for Trans?
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

digdug wrote:
That's possible. But it seems that we can make our own parts too, using a "real" modeler.
Yeah, but if you can make your own parts you don't need DOGA to put them together.
Dalva
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Cygnus.X1 wrote:I discovered the left<->right part cloning.
i'm not an expert blender user, so, can you tell me how to do that? that will be very useful for ship modelling :)
Cygnus.X1
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

not in blender, sorry, I meant in Doga
Dalva
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

oh. in Doga... but i think blender also have that left-right cloning isnt it?
someone know how to use it? :?
Bobby
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

you could duplicate, then rotate from the origin(if ship center is there) on the front-back (y?) axis, 180 degrees.
Cygnus.X1
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Coming soon to a 40-faces shipset near you...
I give you StarShard (gamma v0.95), commissioned by Sassinak of the Orion universe at www.pardus.at with permission granted to 'port' to Transcendence as a shipset.

Based on the Pardus ship class Mercury Fighter. Made by me using DOGA-L3 in about 2 working days.

I Crave Feedback! So let me know what you think, good or (especially) bad :twisted:

HUGE thanks to Digdug for finding and posting this wondrous little gem of a program!
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Bobby wrote:you could duplicate, then rotate from the origin(if ship center is there) on the front-back (y?) axis, 180 degrees.
Not rotate. Rotation is not mirroring. There's a mirror operation somewhere as well. I could fire up my copy and look, but I think there's been an interface redesign in the version after it so I might just mislead you. In some versions you have to recalculate normals after mirroring, but I don't know if that was fixed or in what version, only that Winchell Chung had trouble with it when using linked duplicates that were open until after being combined. It may have never been a problem with manifolds and it's not one I've encountered because I didn't have to mirror anything in the meshes I made for my mods because all the parts I made were symmetric about a plane perpendicular to the plane I would have mirrored them on making rotation equivalent.