Transcendence Port to Linux and Mac

New releases and announcements from George and the staff.
demanther
Anarchist
Anarchist

Just a FYI big red truck duh post... the only requirement for transport on 32bit ubuntu

on a new install of ubuntu 8.10...

root@gateway2400:~# apt-get install libsdl-mixer1.2
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
libmikmod2 libsmpeg0
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libmikmod2 libsdl-mixer1.2 libsmpeg0
0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 342kB of archives.
After this operation, 926kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/main libmikmod2 3.1.11-a-6ubuntu3 [145kB]
Get:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/main libsmpeg0 0.4.5+cvs20030824-2 [103kB]
Get:3 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/main libsdl-mixer1.2 1.2.8-4 [93.6kB]
Fetched 342kB in 3s (105kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package libmikmod2.
(Reading database ... 101520 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libmikmod2 (from .../libmikmod2_3.1.11-a-6ubuntu3_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libsmpeg0.
Unpacking libsmpeg0 (from .../libsmpeg0_0.4.5+cvs20030824-2_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libsdl-mixer1.2.
Unpacking libsdl-mixer1.2 (from .../libsdl-mixer1.2_1.2.8-4_i386.deb) ...
Setting up libmikmod2 (3.1.11-a-6ubuntu3) ...

Setting up libsmpeg0 (0.4.5+cvs20030824-2) ...

Setting up libsdl-mixer1.2 (1.2.8-4) ...

Processing triggers for libc6 ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
root@gateway2400:~#
GambitDash
Developer
Developer

Ah, that's good to know that everything except libsdl-mixer1.2 is included in the base distribution. Thanks, Demanther!
GambitDash
Developer
Developer

VERSION 12 AVAILABLE

Executable Only: bz2
Full Package: bz2
Magic Number: 204

Changes in version 12:
* Fixed the 'radiation' code so that it both fails to crash, and properly renders.
* Added support for rendering the ares nuke explosions, which will likely make station explosions look properly as well.
* Shouldn't crash anymore due to the new graphics engine.

Known Issues:
* Still various graphical bugs collected here, though I will be cleaning up that list shortly.
* Sound is still playing a few fractions of a second later then I'd really like it to be.

Enjoy!
--G
CFG
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I could take care of the linux builds... plenty (relative) of space for chroot environments here.
Only limitation is my time if things dont work out of the box.
I dont have a Mac (and sadly didnt have the money to buy one when they still had PPCs inside...). As the are x86 too now, cant they be emulated ;) ?
GambitDash
Developer
Developer

CFG wrote:I could take care of the linux builds... plenty (relative) of space for chroot environments here.
Only limitation is my time if things dont work out of the box.
I dont have a Mac (and sadly didnt have the money to buy one when they still had PPCs inside...). As the are x86 too now, cant they be emulated ;) ?
Since the 32-bit build will work fine in a 64-bit environment, there's not a hugely compelling reason to spend the effort, but thanks!

Unfortunately, emulating osx requires a cpu of a slightly more recent generation then mine, alas. So it goes :)

Cheers,
--G
schilcote
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Hmm... My grandpa has a Mac Mini that he dosn't use anymore, and I have plenty of classic macs. I could test any mac builds you have next time I'm over there.
[schilcote] It doesn't have to be good, it just has to not be "wow is that the only thing you could think of" bad
CFG
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Till I have write access in trac, Ill need to add it here to not forget about:

I managed to create an invisible cargo crate with the windows version. the savegame also works with the linux version, behaving exactly the same way.

The linux version does not tell me that an extension is missing, it just displays the intro screen. (I was missing my firefly ship for above savegame).

Graphical issues:
- the asteroid part of mining bases is transparent. Best noticed when one is placed close to the star.
- the "use item"/"enable/disable device" dialog stretches about the whole screen, displaying a black rectangle even when only one or just a few items/devices are displayed.
- targetting brackets and parts of targetted stations (eg. the "arm" of a charon pirates cache) remain in the target info box when no target is selected.

Ill add these to trac when I have write access.
GambitDash
Developer
Developer

CFG wrote:Till I have write access in trac, Ill need to add it here to not forget about:
Done.
I managed to create an invisible cargo crate with the windows version. the savegame also works with the linux version, behaving exactly the same way.
Create an invisible cargo crate how, exactly? You imply that you were messing with extensions, or was this in the course of the normal game? In either case, include the necessary extensions, if any, with the savegame and attach them to a trac entry.
The linux version does not tell me that an extension is missing, it just displays the intro screen. (I was missing my firefly ship for above savegame).
Yeah, it's a bit uninformative, just quitting like that. It could probably use a trac item to remind me to fix that.
Graphical issues:
- the asteroid part of mining bases is transparent. Best noticed when one is placed close to the star.
- the "use item"/"enable/disable device" dialog stretches about the whole screen, displaying a black rectangle even when only one or just a few items/devices are displayed.
- targetting brackets and parts of targetted stations (eg. the "arm" of a charon pirates cache) remain in the target info box when no target is selected.
Go ahead and add those to the graphics trac entry I mention above! Good spotting!

Thanks!
--G
CFG
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Create an invisible cargo crate how, exactly? You imply that you were messing with extensions, or was this in the course of the normal game?
The only extension I was using is the firefly freigther. That invisible cargo crate was the result from dropping some cargo. (See other post.)
GambitDash
Developer
Developer

VERSION 13 AVAILABLE

Executable Only: Not Available
Full Package: bz2
Magic Number: 213

Changes in version 13:
* More fixed graphics bugs.
* Fixed Demanther's crash in Ares space
* All weapons should be rendering pretty close to correct now, including missile trails (which actually render /better/ than the windows version!) and the ares nukes.
* Fixed some masking problems on the main HUD.
* Fixed various masking problems at some of the other UI screens.

Known Issues:
* Most of the graphical "bugs" are fixed, though there are a couple items (like the square-cut lines on the armor display) that I'd like to fix.
* Sound is still not quite right, and I'll be attacking that next.

No known crashing bugs right now, which is a definite plus!

Enjoy!
--G
Last edited by GambitDash on Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
schilcote
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Umm... did anybody notice my post? After all, the thread title says "Transcendence port to linux and mac"
[schilcote] It doesn't have to be good, it just has to not be "wow is that the only thing you could think of" bad
GambitDash
Developer
Developer

I thought I was going to have a mac available to build/test, but until now I do not. Once I get a mac locally, I'll be able to generate builds -- fortunately, all the port work I've done so far will be portable with linux and mac. Unfortunately, I still don't have a mac :/

Thanks for the offer, though!
CFG
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I got an assertion with version 13:

Code: Select all

transcendence: Transcendence/TSE/CSystem.cpp:2937: void CSystem::WriteObjRefToStream(CSpaceObject*, IWriteStream*): Assertion `dwSave != 0' failed.
This happened right in Eridiani, when trying to save the game.
My god modded firefly ship must be causing this:
Its basically the firefly ship extension modded to the limit

- mass 6000 tons, 5000-6000t cargo space
- 999 system map roms
- 999 lonzhu spheres
- 1GW reactor
- pteracin megadrive
- transpace jump drive
- 20 solar panel arrays
- 20 patch spiders

Im guessing that an amount of 999 causes the trouble.
GambitDash
Developer
Developer

Can you consistently reproduce this, CFG? If so, please generate a core file by the following steps:

Code: Select all

gdb ./transcendence
(wait for it to throw the assertion)
gdb> [b]gcore[/b]
This should generate a rather large corefile. Compress the file up and attach it to a bugtrac or, if it's too large, stick it up somewhere else like one of the free filesharing sites.

Thanks!

Cheers,
--B
CFG
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Hmmm, I must have changed something in my cheaters ship. Im not getting that assertion anymore. It was reproducible about 3 times, till I wrote about it. I suspect to have it overridden by another version. I used the windows version to test my xml.

If you can give me some more details about when and why that assertion is thrown I might be able to figure out how to reliably reproduce this.