Wiki Recruitment drive for function definitions.

This is a moderated forum that collects tutorials, guides, and references for creating Transcendence extensions and scripts.
ptbptb
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I have added all primitive functions from the function list for 1.0RC5 topic to the Transcendence Wiki.

Most of the functions do not have actual entries in the wiki - their names are just included in the lists there. Those functions are to be found in the list of functions at Xelerus. However there are a lot of functions that are not included in the Xelerus list and I would like to encourage people to help fill in the gaps.

Functions that need descriptions entering are active links to blank pages in the wiki. If you have wiki write access you can add them directly, or you can post the wiki code (or anything useful) in this thread. (Use the

Code: Select all

tag as needed ;-)

It would be ideal if you could follow the Xelerus standard (See [url=http://wiki.neurohack.com/transcendence/wiki/functions/shpgetfuelneeded]shpGetFuelNeeded[/url] for the wiki equivalent).  If they have ever been used in a mod I should be able to find an example. :)

I would also really like to know if I am missing any functions, or if any of those listed do not actually exist in Trans1.01
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Nice job. I am slowly filling out the missing functions on xelerus. It will take a while, but we will get there.

FYI, this link might come in handy for you http://xelerus.de/doc_function_txt.php
ptbptb
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

alterecco wrote:FYI, this link might come in handy for you http://xelerus.de/doc_function_txt.php
It certainly will - thanks. I think I heard of that doc being referred to - but I never actually knew _where_ it was.

P.S. Feel free to borrow from / correct any function entries I've made in the wiki. :P
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

The functions on the wiki are really starting to look good. Regarding the search, I think the easiest way would be having a page with all functions on them, line by line, with their signature and categories. The search can then be done by the built in browser text search. Nice and simple.

If you need any plugins or similar, we need to involve GambitDash. He is usually easiest to get a hold of on irc, so ask here and someone will pass on the message
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I have gotten hold of an sql dump of the current state of the functions on xelerus, as per 26/05. As soon as I have gotten a hold of GambitDash and found out how to format and upload the pages I will convert the sql to something we can use on the wiki.
ptbptb
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

alterecco wrote:I have gotten hold of an sql dump of the current state of the functions on xelerus, as per 26/05. As soon as I have gotten a hold of GambitDash and found out how to format and upload the pages I will convert the sql to something we can use on the wiki.
That sounds great. It would be nice if you could avoid overwriting any entries that already exist, though. (Put them in with a _2 at the end of the page name, or something)
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

OK, I have converted the dump to wiki syntax and am awaiting GambitDash's turn.

I have put up a page that links to evey function here

We have some issues though.

Categories exist in the base functions namespace, and they are clashing with the functions. At least the 'list' category and the 'list' function don't get along well, as do the 'random' category and the 'random' function

Some of the options we have are:

1) Namespacing categories further, into functions/categories. Ugly, some say, and perhaps overkill.

2) Removing categories completely. My personal favorite, since they are hard to maintain, and don't really add that much (imo).

3) Having one page (categories) perhaps, with a heading for each category, and a list of functions belonging to that category below it. Perhaps the best solution?

On another note, I am also moving functionlegend into functions/legend. I will leave the original page there for a bit, and then delete it (unless we can get Gambit to move it, history and all)

Additionally, i suggest we keep out _deprecated and _changed functions from the wiki. That means, modulus should go, for example.
ptbptb
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

alterecco wrote:Additionally, i suggest we keep out _deprecated and _changed functions from the wiki. That means, modulus should go, for example.
I would prefer they be kept, but have links pointing to them struck out with the <del> tag. I'll comment more in the morning when I'm awake! Thanks for your work. :D
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Also, we now have a lot more functions on the wiki:

http://wiki.neurohack.com/transcendence ... plete_list

uhmmm, yay!
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

There was a slight hiccup on the wiki this evening, which resulted in some of the content being displaced. It is not lost, but resides in the diff on the recent changes page.

Sorry for the disturbances it may cause :oops:
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Also, we should really not regenerate the category pages, as they clutter the namespace... let us just have one page with all categories on it and functions belonging to that category listed beneath them. A partner to the index page!?!
ptbptb
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

alterecco wrote:Also, we should really not regenerate the category pages, as they clutter the namespace... let us just have one page with all categories on it and functions belonging to that category listed beneath them. A partner to the index page!?!
That would just result in a bulky and unwieldy to edit mammoth list page. I really don't want one of those - although if you want to maintain it separately I have no objections.

I've moved all of function category page [[foo]] to function category page [[foo functions]]. That will ensure that there is no confusion between function [[foo]] and category [[foo]] (e.g. 'list' category and 'list' function).

Note that the function category pages include many functions that are not listed in Xelerus, or in the index page you've added. That information at the very least should be retained.
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

OK, i feel more or less the same way. I would have generated the category page myself, not pieced it together by hand, though. However, if you feel like maintaining it, no problem for me.
Note that the function category pages include many functions that are not listed in Xelerus, or in the index page you've added. That information at the very least should be retained.
Yes, you are right about this. The information recently uploaded to the wiki only contained the current snapshop of xelerus, so we have a good deal of functions that need to be added manuallly. The same for the index page, since it was also generated automatically.